PDA

View Full Version : Engine cooler IDEA! :popcorn:

RamAir
11-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Hello all :biggrin: Most of you might not know me and some of you do, well since I will be getting a new motor next summer I was thinking I know someone on here was trying to figure out where to get the return feed for an oil cooler for our bikes and since, wellll :whistle: I have a spare motor (kinda) I was thinking if I could get all the info we know or that the guy figued out (although I cant find the link now :cry: ) I could try it on the motor that I am going to be replaceing! Just gotta buttom up the top end and she will run. She'll be crying but she will run! No the problem that I have with this is that the motors cam gears are already totally rubbed out so how will I know if its doing any damage! So if anyone can figure out a good test I dont mind rigging up my old motor to hoses and pipes to see how it flows oil! :2tup:

What you guys think will this work? Do you guys get what I am proposing?

alanmcorcoran
11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Nope. But then, I wouldn't. It does sound vaguely like The Quest For a Little More Power... but I'm just guessing.

blaine
11-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Hello all :biggrin:
I understand what you are proposing.It would be hard to achieve with no passage for a return oil hose.Also I don't think the oil pump would stand the extra strain.If your main concern is the oil getting too hot in summer traffic,try synthetic oil.Because of reduced friction synthetic oil will run 30 to 50 degrees cooler in hot weather.Plus it flows much better in cooler temperature to guard against dry starts.I always used synthetic oil,and when I sold my G.Z. it had almost 46000 kms on it,mostly hard hi-way miles and it still ran like new.
:2tup: :cool:

music man
11-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Hello all :biggrin: Most of you might not know me and some of you do, well since I will be getting a new motor next summer I was thinking I know someone on here was trying to figure out where to get the return feed for an oil cooler for our bikes and since, wellll :whistle: I have a spare motor (kinda) I was thinking if I could get all the info we know or that the guy figued out (although I cant find the link now :cry: ) I could try it on the motor that I am going to be replaceing! Just gotta buttom up the top end and she will run. She'll be crying but she will run! No the problem that I have with this is that the motors cam gears are already totally rubbed out so how will I know if its doing any damage! So if anyone can figure out a good test I dont mind rigging up my old motor to hoses and pipes to see how it flows oil! :2tup:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2119&hilit=oil+cooler (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2119&hilit=oil+cooler) Here ya go, this will be a very good starting point for your research, good luck.

RamAir
11-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Hello all :biggrin:
I understand what you are proposing.It would be hard to achieve with no passage for a return oil hose.Also I don't think the oil pump would stand the extra strain.If your main concern is the oil getting too hot in summer traffic,try synthetic oil.Because of reduced friction synthetic oil will run 30 to 50 degrees cooler in hot weather.Plus it flows much better in cooler temperature to guard against dry starts.I always used synthetic oil,and when I sold my G.Z. it had almost 46000 kms on it,mostly hard hi-way miles and it still ran like new.
:2tup: :cool:

I only use the best K&N oil filter and rolay purple motor oil! Its not that I know that people on here have been tryiong this and since this motor is junk anyway I dont mind screwing into the motor for a return line and seeing how it goes, do you get me now? Sorry I dont get my points acrsos the way I want to sometimes!

Thanks Music man!

RamAir
11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Plane and simple what I am saying is that I do not mind drilling holes in my motor to see where the best return would be! So we can find it out if it would work! Since my old motor is junk anywho! Ill post up any info if I get some progress on this! It will not be till the weather piks up next year though since its very cold now and I dont have anywere to work indoors!

Thanks guys!

JWR
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
The DR 200 has been able to use an oil cooler. You can search or I will try to find a link.

RamAir
11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
The DR 200 has been able to use an oil cooler. You can search or I will try to find a link.
Lets do both! :2tup:

I will look up what I can and let me know what you find! I just dont want another motor to go to waiste if I can learn something from my old one then why not!

RamAir
11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
OK I found this would this work???

http://img525.imageshack.us/i/enoilcooler.jpg/

Any ideas?

blaine
11-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Looks good.I don't see any reason for it not to work on the G.Z . :cool: :2tup:

RamAir
11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks good.I don't see any reason for it not to work on the G.Z . :cool: :2tup:

Ya thats what I was thinking if I get an oil cooler for like a 150cc to a 250 cc nothing bigger and make sure it can handel the extra oil force needed to push the oil Ill just make sure I mount the cooler in a leveled and nice place!!!!

I will do more research on the matter and what oil coolers are best and so on till the summer and try it! :rawk:

If this works I will love it!

RamAir
11-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Ok can someone answer these two questions for me.

What is our oil pressure suppose to be at?

And how much oil do you add for an oil cooler? An oil cooler sized for a 250cc bike?

Thanks guys! :)

blaine
11-20-2010, 04:43 PM

And how much oil do you add for an oil cooler? An oil cooler sized for a 250cc bike?

I'm not sure on the pressure but I would think around 40 psi at 5000 rpm.As for the amount of oil in the cooler,you would need to measure the volume of the cooler before you install it to know for sure.
:2tup: :rawk:

Quimrider
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM

The oil pressure is in the service manual look it up. If you are actually trying this I would simply let the oil return drain into the valve cover. You most likely will need to add some sort of restriction (valve) to the supply of the cooler so that you don't take vital oil pressure away from the rest of the engine. If i were doing it I would rig up an oil pressure gauge right before a valve that I would have going to the cooler. That way I could adjust the valve to keep the oil pressure to the rest of the engine in spec.

You would add additional oil that is the capacity of the cooler you are using.

Ok now who's going to order that 298cc big bore kit and slap on an oil cooler? :biggrin:

Water Warrior 2
02-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Sounds like an interesting project. Just a couple thoughts to add. I am sure there is a bolt or fitting used for checking oil pressure. That could be a source for the oil flow to a cooler as long as the oil pressure is not unduly reduced to the engine. The return line could just feed into a fitting used to replace the oil fill hole plug. Unscrew the fitting when adding oil. Engine can always easily go back to stock and cooler etc can be moved to next bike.
But as earlier said, go with a synthetic oil and don't sweat the small stuff.

blaine
02-04-2011, 11:10 PM
I am sure there is a bolt or fitting used for checking oil pressure.
It is right in front of the oil fill cap.15 mm bolt. :)

Quimrider
02-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I was assuming he would be using the oil pressure test port for the supply, hence the need for a restriction to keep adequate oil pressure to the rest of the engine. I haven't had my GZ250 for quite some time, IIRC I was thinking of what blaine said for the supply and then just let it drain back into the valve cover, just don't forget to make sure the rest of the engine had adequate oil supply.

RamAir
02-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I was assuming he would be using the oil pressure test port for the supply, hence the need for a restriction to keep adequate oil pressure to the rest of the engine. I haven't had my GZ250 for quite some time, IIRC I was thinking of what blaine said for the supply and then just let it drain back into the valve cover, just don't forget to make sure the rest of the engine had adequate oil supply.

Yup gonna be using the port to check oil pressure! And good point with the restriction idea really gonna have to look into that!

Also I would love to have the oil go to the filter or into another part of the motor where it can start cooling right away. I dont want it just splashing anywere in the valve cover or back into the oil ban and getting wormer from all the hot oil around it!
I only use rolay purple in pretty much all my vehicals :2tup:

Oh and about the big bore kit..... :whistle: I will post something up tmrw that will really get some poeple on here worked up, I wnated to wait till summer when I started or finished the project but with a comment like from WW "Just a couple thoughts to add. I am sure there is a bolt or fitting used for checking oil pressure. That could be a source for the oil flow to a cooler as long as the oil pressure is not unduly reduced to the engine" That is gold he may have just saved me a whole nother motor. So if I post my plans for this summer you guys might see where I might go wrong. I will be posting all my dream plans tmrw :drool:

Water Warrior 2
02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
A little more food for thought. The oil source fitting of the supply line might want to have a check valve in it. This will prevent oil from draining back from the cooler into the engine when turned off and throwing out your oil level window. This would allow some dirty oil to remain in the cooler during an oil change but I personally would get too excited about it.
More food for thought. This is fun, my hands won't get dirty and some one else can find the parts. The oil cooling system should be thermostatically controlled for faster warm ups. You don't want to be messing with the choke any longer than usual on a cooler morning.

Quimrider
02-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Yup gonna be using the port to check oil pressure! And good point with the restriction idea really gonna have to look into that!

Also I would love to have the oil go to the filter or into another part of the motor where it can start cooling right away. I dont want it just splashing anywere in the valve cover or back into the oil ban and getting wormer from all the hot oil around it!

I think I remember how I was going to shoehorn on an oil cooler. I came up with the following way that would be completely reversible by only having to purchase a new oil filter cover:

It's been a while but IIRC I believe the oil passage on the clutch cover that has pressure test port comes more or less directly from the oil pump and then goes thru the oil filter and then the oil is distributed throughout the engine. I think my plan was plug the passage between the filter and test port, routing the oil out the test port and back to the oil filter thru the filter cover. To do this I was going to tap threads in the hole between the oil filter cavity and "pressure test port" cavity so that I could put a plug with some blue (not permanent) loctite in the hole forcing all the oil to go out the pressure test port, thru the oil cooler, and then drill a hole and use some sort of fitting for the oil to go back in thru the oil filter cover. It's been over a year so I don't remember if that is exactly how it works or not you'll have to verify this your self.

Note: be sure to get some Permatex gasket remover or something similar to remove the gasket from the clutch cover. Contrary to the 15min the instructions I had to let mine soak over nite before I could use a plastic scraper to remove the old gasket. It's real easy to gouge the gasket surface, be careful!

RamAir
02-06-2011, 07:18 PM

I think I remember how I was going to shoehorn on an oil cooler. I came up with the following way that would be completely reversible by only having to purchase a new oil filter cover:

It's been a while but IIRC I believe the oil passage on the clutch cover that has pressure test port comes more or less directly from the oil pump and then goes thru the oil filter and then the oil is distributed throughout the engine. I think my plan was plug the passage between the filter and test port, routing the oil out the test port and back to the oil filter thru the filter cover. To do this I was going to tap threads in the hole between the oil filter cavity and "pressure test port" cavity so that I could put a plug with some blue (not permanent) loctite in the hole forcing all the oil to go out the pressure test port, thru the oil cooler, and then drill a hole and use some sort of fitting for the oil to go back in thru the oil filter cover. It's been over a year so I don't remember if that is exactly how it works or not you'll have to verify this your self.

Note: be sure to get some Permatex gasket remover or something similar to remove the gasket from the clutch cover. Contrary to the 15min the instructions I had to let mine soak over nite before I could use a plastic scraper to remove the old gasket. It's real easy to gouge the gasket surface, be careful!

What you explained is pretty much what the link to the picture shows And ya that part of the motor you can really hurt. My new (old) motor was leeking ait and I think its cuz I scuffed it a pit! I might just clean it up really nicely this time and use a gasket maker or somthing cuz I waited like 4 weeks to get the right gasket from suzuki! :shocked:

double
02-11-2011, 11:58 PM
What you explained is pretty much what the link to the picture shows And ya that part of the motor you can really hurt. My new (old) motor was leeking ait and I think its cuz I scuffed it a pit! I might just clean it up really nicely this time and use a gasket maker or somthing cuz I waited like 4 weeks to get the right gasket from suzuki! :shocked:

hi man, i've installed the oil cooler on my gs250, and it works perfect! there are two method to install it, full system or half system. i choose the full system. the full system means ENTIRE oil passage the oil cooler first. for the full system, i make another hole on clutch basket and inside the basket, i make a chamber as a passage for oil. anyway here's the pics on my bike.
http://s3.postimage.org/1owm6n9z8/IMG00398_20110212_1124.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1owm6n9z8/)

http://s3.postimage.org/1owsssnyc/IMG00387_20110212_1118.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1owsssnyc/)

http://s3.postimage.org/1ox4dk3es/IMG00388_20110212_1118.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1ox4dk3es/)

http://s3.postimage.org/1oxhluvd0/IMG00396_20110212_1122.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1oxhluvd0/)

http://s3.postimage.org/1oxt6matg/IMG00397_20110212_1123.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/1oxt6matg/)

double
02-11-2011, 11:59 PM
double post.