PDA

View Full Version : GZ saddle lock warning.

alantf
01-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Went to unlock the saddle this morning - surprise - no lock!

Found that the lock had somehow come adrift, & was dangling on the end of the cable, somewhere in the side panel. After a lot of trouble, I managed to hook the lock, & eventually managed to get the key in & turn it. After removing the saddle & side panel, I found that the cause of the problem was the loss of two setscrews. The lock is held to the backplate by two setscrews, & the backplate is fixed to the side panel by two screws. The backplate was still firmly fixed to the side panel, but the two setscrews holding the lock to the backplate were missing. They must have vibrated loose over the years, & as I had never needed to remove that side panel recently, the problem had gone unnoticed. While it was an easy job to fit new setscrews, it was a major job to remove the saddle, so I would advise anyone with a Geezer to check these screws for tightness as soon as possible (or when checking the air filter) & perhaps use a spot of Loctite.

Water Warrior 2
01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Something else to trip up a rider. Glad you didn't find yourself after dark in the rain with no flashlight............Oh yeah, the flashlight is under the seat.

Fish Baseball
01-03-2011, 09:55 PM
well thanks for teh heads up, just checked these screws on the VL250, which has pretty much the same assembly for the saddle lock as the GZ, and yes, they do appear to loosen over time. Thanks Mate!