PDA

View Full Version : Are our motors interference engines or not?

RamAir
01-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Like the title asks. Well are they???? Cuz I know our CR Is 9.0.

Thanks guys! :2tup:

Sarris
01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes. Piston/valve crash does happen.

:cry:

RamAir
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Darn! Are you replying from your own findings? I am guessing yes cuz the face at the end. :(

alantf
01-12-2011, 05:16 AM
o.k.......... what's an interference engine? :??:

RamAir
01-12-2011, 05:34 AM
o.k.......... what's an interference engine? :??:

You do know that this does not help in answering my question right??? :lol:

BUhahahaha just joking! :neener:

Sorry mate had to have a bit of fun with you. Back on track now and good question.

An "Interference engine" is what an engine is called when the valves can touch the pistons in the motor soooo for example in my tercel 1998 it is a none interference motor. So if I were to take the timeing belt off and spin the motor round and round nothing would happen, all is well and I am as happen as a clam! But in an interference engine if you where to do the same the crankshaft would stop spining once the piston top colidded with a valve and could cause damage even at a very low speed.

Hope this answers your question :2tup:

RamAir
01-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Now why I ask this is because, wellll is it posible to raise our CR to 10.1????????????/

RamAir
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Welll Anyone?

blaine
01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
If you get the head. planed by a machine shop,that will raise the compression ratio.Is there enough valve clearance to plane the head is a question I cannot answer.If your interested in increasing the c.r to gain power, IMO it would be very small,and not worth the problems you will have with pinging & reliability issues.Although it is a good topic for discussion.
:??: :)

Water Warrior 2
01-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Another drawback to planing the head. There will be a bit more slack to take up in the cam chain and might shorten it's life span. I personally wouldn't change a thing on the GZ. It is a bullet proof design and well proven. Learn to appreciate the bike for what it is, hone your riding skills on it and someday move up to a bigger bike.

RamAir
01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I was thinking a slightly longer connecting rod :whistle:

Water Warrior 2
01-28-2011, 09:23 PM
No engineering degree here but I would think a slightly longer rod would require a different crank shaft to match. By the time you go to all the mods required to make it work you will have a lot of $ tied up for little gain. Save your money and buy a larger bike. If you really like the GZ then go look at it's big brother S-40. Sort of like a GZ on steroids.

blaine
01-28-2011, 09:26 PM
I was thinking a slightly longer connecting rod :whistle:
Interesting concept.I never thought of it that way.In theory it than would be a "stroker" engine without changing the crank.
:cool: :)

RamAir
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Well I did want the big bor kit to make it 300cc and bump it up to 10:1 like the V-star. Just change piston head and cylinder and connecting rod.....

Should I jst post up the links I have collected and lay out my plans for summer??

Cuz the V-star (virago before V star) is doing 10:1 on pump 87Oct. gas. I could tune for that. high comp. Bigger bore. Do the 16tooth upgrade and you might not have any problems on the highways as beofre and still get great MPG!

Am I making any cents?

RamAir
01-29-2011, 12:49 AM
No engineering degree here but I would think a slightly longer rod would require a different crank shaft to match. By the time you go to all the mods required to make it work you will have a lot of $ tied up for little gain. Save your money and buy a larger bike. If you really like the GZ then go look at it's big brother S-40. Sort of like a GZ on steroids.

No no no I was looking at 500cc bikes that have two cylinders so now you alread have two 250cc banks. Now you just look at the stroke. Ours is (blanke) and you mach it up with a bike thats about 10% more in stroke. Now I just need to get the specs on the bore of the cennecting rod for the crank case and if the pin fits the bigger cylinder.

Again am I making any cense?? LOL I dont care about an engineering degree WW any input is helpful hear. Thats why I put this out there.

Water Warrior 2
01-29-2011, 05:04 AM
RamAir, I get the feeling you are trying to stay with a single cylinder. That's what the S-40 is. A 650 thumper with a history much the same as the GZ.

RamAir
01-29-2011, 09:54 PM
No no not at all WW i would love a 650 V-star (my friend is selling his.) my other choices are shadow, so on and so on. I would ove to move up the ranks as fallows 650/750, 1100, 1650/1700. And then down the road far enough a BOSS HOSS. :d

JWR
01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
A 250 V-Star will run 70-75 all day any day.
The GZ is a lot more user friendly.
But I traded for a Vulcan 500. There is just something about a parallel twin that I like.

Whatever???

RamAir
01-29-2011, 10:40 PM
What do you mean 70-75? MPH? My GZ wassss doing that all day. It would ahve been fine too had I checked my oil more often! Also I did not post my reason for not upgrading. INsurance. I am young, have a car and other expences so it gets costly. :(

Water Warrior 2
01-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Aw yes, Canadian insurance rates will dictate your life to a certain degree. Same coverage as below the border for only 10 times the cost.

RamAir
01-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Aw yes, Canadian insurance rates will dictate your life to a certain degree. Same coverage as below the border for only 10 times the cost.

Below the border? :skeptical: Are you telling me its 10 times for in the U.S. of A.? Or that we pay 10 times as much?

Ya if I was only with a bike and nothing else. No school, no car, no project car, no nonsens or bull then ya I could upgrade. But for the thrill and shear enjoyment a 250 is just fine for now and the MPG is outstanding! :rawk:

So is my point now for trying to better my little GZ seem less insane? :lol:

Water Warrior 2
01-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Insurance in the GWN is very costly compared to U.S. premiums. The only good thing we get are higher minimum standards in liabilities which can be a life saver. Also the provinces with government insurance cost more and actually cover a bit less unless you opt for more coverage and have the $$.
My Vstrom has the minimum gov insurance and private insurance to cover everything else which saves 3 or 4 hundred a year.

RamAir
02-01-2011, 08:23 PM
It depends really some poeple that have come from different provences (at least I think he said provences and not states) was that the government insurance was very cheap in some places its a flat rate for the whole year. You insure on Dec.31 the next day your gonna have to pay anagin for another year thats what the guy said so i [ersonally am not sure about how it works in other places.

So are our motors interterference motors or not?

blaine
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
As Sarris answered,yes they are. :cool: :)

Water Warrior 2
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
You insure on Dec.31 the next day your gonna have to pay anagin for another year thats what the guy said so i [ersonally am not sure about how it works in other places.

I think some one confused you a bit. The insured year can/will start whenever you want it to start. Pick a day to insure your bike and that is the start of your year. I doubt any insurance company(private or gov)would have the resources to renew all policies as of Jan 1st or any other specific date.
As for paying Dec 31 and again Jan 1st, that won't happen under normal circumstances. The length of time would be prorated. Here in B.C. we can actually insure vehicles on a daily basis. Many riders only insure for 6 months and let the bike sit all winter. If the weather gets really nice out in Dec the rider can insure a bike for 1 or 2 or 3 days that might be available in his/her normal schedule.