PDA

View Full Version : Daily commuter... Boulevard M50 or Sportster 883 Superlow?

hacc81
03-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Hi all,

I've been riding for about 2 months now and I really like my GZ!! :2tup: ... The only issue is that I just went back to school and now I have to commute everyday (about 80 kms round trip). So far I've been taking the back roads to get to the university, but sometimes when I'm late or I need to get earlier I'd really like to be able to take the highway... I tried once, it was scary!! and it felt like the engine was about to explode!! I mean, it sound it like it would not last long if I kept that pace :lol: (100 km/h or 60 mph). Maybe I'm just exaggerating because I guess I'm not used to the bike's engine sound yet :??: I really don't know...

To make the long story short (even though is not that short anymore...) I'm starting to feel that probably the GZ is not the best choice for what I need now (daily commute) and I'm gonna need a bigger bike soon, maybe 2-3 months from now when I feel confident enough ridding to handle a bigger, heavier, and more powerful bike. Having said that, I was starting to look for bigger bikes just to have an idea of the budget, and I came across the Boulevard M50 Special Edition (black/orange, beautiful bike!) and the H-D Sportster XL883L Superlow (is more money, but I'm planning to finance it)... Anyway, what do you guys think about these 2 models? Have any of you driven both bikes? Any preferences? Is it a fair comparison? :??:

All comments are accepted... Thanks a lot! :2tup:
hacc81

[attachment=1:34t2q9qd]M50 SE.jpg[/attachment:34t2q9qd]
[attachment=0:34t2q9qd]Sportster Superlow.jpg[/attachment:34t2q9qd]

bonehead
03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Either one will serve your purpose. I'd check into the cost of service/upkeep to help with the choice.

blaine
03-02-2011, 07:05 AM
IMHO I think the Boulevard is a better choice.I think it is better looking,more reliable and smoother.
:) :cool:

music man
03-02-2011, 08:17 AM
IMHO I think the Boulevard is a better choice.I think it is better looking,more reliable and smoother.
:) :cool:

:plus1: , I think it is a no brainer if you want something reliable and fairly inexpensive to work on, to go with the Suzuki, I have never owned or ridden either one, but I can guarantee you don't want to ever have to take that Harley to the shop and have it worked on if you are on any kind of budget whatsoever.

mrlmd1
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Check out the S50, that's what I moved up to. Not very heavy (478 lbs), 805cc, low seat height, plenty of power and easy to ride, very nimble, and good on any highway, with very little maintenance (routine oil changes).

hacc81
03-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all your replies...

Today I called a local Suzuki dealer and apparently you cannot find anymore this model of M50 SE in a dealer, only used ones. Nevertheless, I'm thinking that the M50 would be a better choice in the cost department, although the H-D would probably hold its resale value a little better after a few years huh?... I'm not sure :??:
Well, I found this M50 in craigslist. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/mcy/2234730446.html
Is it just me or don't you think that it's kind of pricey, considering that the 2010 M50 costs $6999 (before tax)??

Anyway, I'll keep ridding my GZ until I feel more confident... I'll also keep looking into these bikes and probably take them for a test drive (at least the Superlow)...

Thanks guys! :2tup:

Water Warrior 2
03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Did you try Hole Shot on the Highway or North Shore in Vancouver ? I doubt either one will give you a spendid price over the phone or in an E-mail but a personal appearance might do some good.

hacc81
03-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Did you try Hole Shot on the Highway or North Shore in Vancouver ? I doubt either one will give you a spendid price over the phone or in an E-mail but a personal appearance might do some good.

Hi WW, I actually called Holeshot today and they were the ones who told me that the M50 SE is a 2009 model that is no longer in production (that's why I will only find used ones, according to them). Also, for 2010/11 the M50 changed a lot! Here's a picture of the new one... This is the only model that they have available and it costs $6,999 + tax... And honestly, I saw it personally a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like it as much as the M50 SE in black/orange.

So, I guess that when the time comes, I'll just start looking for a used one then... Here is a good prospect, but I think he's asking too much money... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/mcy/2234730446.html

[attachment=0:2jhohrs7]2010-11 M50.jpg[/attachment:2jhohrs7]

Water Warrior 2
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
7 seven grand for a new M-50 !! They couldn't be asking that much more for a C-50. Hmm.........no I will not call them. I won't I won't I won't.

frempath
03-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Not to make things more difficult for you, but I am anyway....
You seem to have something very specific in mind. Have you considered options to the M50 or the HD?
In the cruiser format you appear to prefer, Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-Star, Kawasaki Vulcan, Triumph America, or similar may give you what you want at a better price or be available.

I'm starting to look at a larger commuter/utility bike myself.
I don't think the cruiser format will work best for me.
I'm looking at used though. Probably UJM/Standard/Naked or Duel Sport/Adventure.
I'm thinking for me a Honda Nighthawk, Suzuki "WeeStrom", or Triumph Bonneville.

Oh, well. Enjoy what you find.

rhollandphoto
03-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Re the M50 availability / price - guess its different up there but in Florida there are dealers with 09 and sometimes even 07 models. An area dealer is selling 2009 M 50 and C50 for $3995 but just over $5000 out the door. Also found a new at dealer 07 Honda VTX 1300 just over $6000 out the door which seems like a good option. Thinking that these situations are around other areas too.

And to those more experienced on a variety of bikes: seems like the smaller more narrow front tire like on an S50 and Sportster would make manuvering in town easier but maybe not as nice on the highway(?)

40MILERUN
03-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I think frempath makes a good point. There are quite a few very good bikes out there in the power and size range you're addressing. You can usually find video reviews of them to help you weed out the ones that don't appeal to you.

For instance: I just checked out a used '09 Yamaha V Star 650 at a dealer w/2500 miles for $4100.00. It's a low, powerful and nice looking commuter at 580lbs. Had I been in the market, I'd have snatched that one up.

You can go cross-eyed trying to find just the right bike, but I have found it's easiest to get down to two or three models and years you like and when one of those shows up, you make your decision to buy that specific one or not.

Meaning no disregard for your riding skills, but you probably haven't ridden enough (or been on enough bikes) to have a well-developed feel for what's just right for you. You're still maturing as a highly discriminating rider. For that reason, it doesn’t serve you well to be narrowly selective. If you set your criteria for low rise, adequate power, good handling manners, personal appeal and a good reliability reputation, it’s pretty hard to go wrong at this stage of your riding experience.

It’s an adventure… best of luck with it.

40MR

40MR

Water Warrior 2
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Canadian pricing will always be higher due to the brilliance and greed of government taxes and tariffs. If I was seriously in the market and didn't mind the paperwork I would look just south of the border in Washington.

Water Warrior 2
03-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Frempath..............Nice upgrades you have in mind. Do look at the Weestroms closely. If you don't mind a taller bike they are more than capable of hauling you around the planet. Lots and lots of aftermarket support and very few factory warts to contend with. I load mine like a mule when travelling and it doesn't seem to care. Also a lot of fun in the mountains and twisties. Not perfect for anything but darn good for most things.

mrlmd1
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Just remember, when you buy a "new" 2009 or 2007 bike, the tires are 2-3 or 4-5 years old already. The tires on the 2007 bike may look new but they are almost due to be replaced, Also the battery is either 2 or 4 years old, and that should be replaced by the dealer if you were to buy that bike. It should also probably have an oil change, and if it has been run once in a while over the past few years, it may need a carb cleaning. While it may be shiny, remember, it is not new and that has to be seriously considered when bargaining for a fair price. There is a reason that the dealer still has the bike after 2 years,or 4 years, so you make a reasonable (low) offer, If it's not accepted, walk out the door, tell him to keep his bike another year or two, and I bet he calls you back inside to further negotiate. In my mind, if you have now a GZ250 and are thinking of moving up to a VTX1300, that to me is a gigantic leap of faith and I would say you are out of your mind to make a jump that big after only riding for 3 months as of now. You should move up to 500, 650, 750, 800 cc range. You can always upgrade again later if you really think you need something bigger (and MUCH heavier).
The GZ will ride forever, all day, at least until you run out of gas, at 55-65 mph, it's not going to explode. And it does get 60+mpg, which those other bikes don't.

mole2
03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Not to make things more difficult for you, but I am anyway....
You seem to have something very specific in mind. Have you considered options to the M50 or the HD?
In the cruiser format you appear to prefer, Honda Shadow, Yamaha V-Star, Kawasaki Vulcan, Triumph America, or similar may give you what you want at a better price or be available.

I'm starting to look at a larger commuter/utility bike myself.
I don't think the cruiser format will work best for me.
I'm looking at used though. Probably UJM/Standard/Naked or Duel Sport/Adventure.
I'm thinking for me a Honda Nighthawk, Suzuki "WeeStrom", or Triumph Bonneville.

Oh, well. Enjoy what you find.

I'm going to second the Yamaha V-Star. I purchased a V-Star 650 Classic and I'm in love with this bike. Has all the power I need and Yamaha is know for making reliable bikes. You can still get the V-Star 650 Classic or Silverado in Canada as they stopped importing them here this year. The Custom is still available here. My Classic is upgraded to a Silverado (plus extras) - see below. If you feel you want more power check out the V-Star 950 or 950T. Go to a show room and sit them to see how they fit you. I was on my toes on the 950 but the 650 fit me like a glove.

Before upgrades:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=38389&g2_serialNumber=2

After upgrades:

http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=39252&g2_serialNumber=1

:)

alanmcorcoran
03-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't know much about the bikes mechanically, but you're soon going to discover that, among many Great Divides in motorcycling (including dirt/road, sport/cruiser, gear vs no-gear, etc.) there is Harley and Everyone Else. What this used to mean in practical terms is you paid a little more for a Harley to begin with (and, in some cases/models, got a little less), you were instantly (sort of) part of the Harley "brotherhood", and probably could resell your bike more easily, than, say, a GZ. Like Steinway pianos, Harley is the strongest brand in the business and there are benefits to that when re-selling.

Leading up to the Great Meltdown of '08 and '09 Harley sold a LOT of bikes - many to people of marginal creditworthiness. In '09 they repo-d tens of thousands of them and for a while there, you could get a lightly used Harley very cheaply. The company went through very hard times in '09 and threatened to shut down the factory in Milwaukee and move production to Mexico or China (although this was probably just a union busting bluff) and at this stage I'm not sure if Harley pricing or the company have sufficiently recovered - but I'd read up on your dealer and so on before taking the Harley plunge. I have heard the 883 is one of their better selling models.

Also, I "upgraded" from a GZ250 to a Yamaha 1850cc bike. I fell off it twice in low speed situations, so I guess the guys can claim I should stepped up slower, but, in reality, I got used to (and LOVE) the extra power almost immediately. So, if you want a more powerful bike - I say go for it. I will warn you that my first insurance quote was a shock compared to what I was paying for the GZ - but it turned out they misquoted me, the true amount has turned out to be a lot lower after shopping around. Check your insurance costs BEFORE you buy the bike - not the other way around like I did.

Water Warrior 2
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Really good looking V-Star with all the touring garb. Yamaha specifically states this bike was geared and tuned to run best at 55-60 mph. What more could you ask for really ? It still has reserve power for hills/passing and gets good gas mileage in it's sweet spot. The introduction of the 950 will eventually lead to the demise of a sweet entry level cruiser that can do most everything.

rhollandphoto
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Excellent input all - and mrlmd1 your thought are especially important to consider. Florida is a tough riding state in my opinion. Few "country roads" Its either in town, occasional A1A riding options or I-95 type highways which with our drivers are scary even in a car.

mrlmd1
03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that. We're all here just trying to keep each other happy, and safe. :)

geezer
03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
i owned a 02 vstar 650 custom and what an amazing bike it was! mine had drag pipes dual kn filters and jet kit, the bike ran incredible always dead reliable, got my 62 miles per gallon once, and shaft drive is a huge plus. but bro if i could afford it id buy the harley in a heartbeat. read alans post again, its totally true, ride up on a gz and get laughed at (not that i care, i pass every gas station) or ride up on that sexy beast.

mole2
03-05-2011, 04:12 AM
i owned a 02 vstar 650 custom and what an amazing bike it was! mine had drag pipes dual kn filters and jet kit, the bike ran incredible always dead reliable, got my 62 miles per gallon once, and shaft drive is a huge plus. but bro if i could afford it id buy the harley in a heartbeat. read alans post again, its totally true, ride up on a gz and get laughed at (not that i care, i pass every gas station) or ride up on that sexy beast.

A lot of Harley owners don't consider the Sportster a Harley. Yeah...it's got the name. But I can buy two of my bikes for one of theirs. I'm on the road 12 months out of the year and mine doesn't spend it's life in the shop. lol Now, if a Fatboy were affordable...

:)

music man
03-05-2011, 11:07 AM
A lot of Harley owners don't consider the Sportster a Harley. Yeah...it's got the name. But I can buy two of my bikes for one of theirs.

That is very true, its like buying a Trans-Am with a V-6 in it, or one of those Mustangs with a 4 cylinder engine in it, your "technically" drivin' a Mustang, but ain't no other Mustang drivers even gonna acknowledge you exist.

hacc81
03-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Hi all, sorry I haven't been able to reply before but I've been really busy with my studies. I had to learn how to study all over again... :retard:

Anyway, I wanna to clarify something that perhaps was not explicit enough in my original post (sorry about that)... I forgot to mention that when I posted the comparison, I had already shopped around the different brands and models that I liked (Yamaha V-Star 950, Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic SE, Honda VT750C Shadow Phantom, Triumph New America (865cc), and of course Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE and Harley Davidson 883 Low and then the Superlow)... And at the time I asked you guys, I already had picked up the 2 models that I liked the most, those in which I felt the most comfortable with both power and riding position for me.
Thanks anyway to all of you that suggested that I should shop around more... It's true, is only when you sit on the bike, and at least test drive it for a bit, when you really know if the looks are enough for you...

With the Harley, I have to agree with mole2 and music man, Harley riders don't consider the Sportster a "real" Harley... Funny thing happened when I went to test drove the Superlow... This huge guy comes in with his girlfriend (I guess?) and says to the salesman that he wants to buy a bike for his b...h! (I think we all know what he said)... So the salesman (a really big fella too) shows the Sportster to the guy and, almost immediately the guy responded: "That's no Harley!! Heck, that's not even a chick's Harley!" :lol: ... The best part (??) is that I was still on the bike when the salesman replied: "I know, but what can I do? I have to sale these too"... I mean WTF dude I'm still here!! :fu: hahahahaha :lol: After such a scene I just laughed... What else could I do? (I didn't wanted to die!! hahahaha)...

Anyway, I test drove the Superlow and I have to say that for me it is a HUGE improvement from the 883 Low... The ridding position is ten times better, the seat is much more comfortable, and the bike feels more friendly (perhaps) for new riders... Also I've read that fuel consumption has improved a lot too, probably because it's a bigger tank though, but either way it's still good.

At the end, I think I'll wait a bit longer to upgrade my bike in order to gain more experience with my Marauder 250, specially with Spring almost here :rawk: ... It's definitely a great first bike and I'm getting more confident riding it... :2tup:
Thanks all for your comments, I really appreciate them! :) :2tup:

hacc81

alanmcorcoran
03-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Even though I'm an admitted douche - of all the reasons not to buy a Harley, it's probably the general douchiness of the Harley "experience" that turns me off the most. The thing I really don't get is that Harley riders seem to fall into two categories: Guys that truly look like badasses and Guys That Look Like Me That Would Like to Think They Are Bad Asses (but Aren't And Never Will Be). I get why the second group buys Harleys (probably because I partly got the Suzi, and the Yamaha for similar reasons) but I don't understand why the first group is so loyal. Is it the American made thing? I mean these guys are gonna be badasses if they go down the road on a 50cc Vespa. I'm going to give them a wide berth no matter what they're riding.

Are we still fighting World War II here? A union thing? Even my dad finally broke down and bought a Honda (he's 89 - fought in WWII and Korea, got on my ass for years for buying Toyotas - was pissed when he found out his Chrysler was actually a Mitsubishi.)

Anyway, I like the looks of a lot of the Harleys I see, and Sarris has convinced me that some/most of the reported mechanical/maintenance issues are either overblown or can be overcome. But it would be hard to overcome the wannabe aspect for me as I clearly would never be mistaken for an actual badass. I'd just look like another nerd trying to strap on a pair by riding a Harley. Might as well save my money.

bonehead
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
I believe it is mostly a "buy American" thing. Harley isn't the only american made bike. Victory is also made in the U.S.A. Engine is 103 c.i.
But even if you do buy a metric, aren't you supporting american jobs?

alanmcorcoran
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
But even if you do buy a metric, aren't you supporting american jobs?

For the sales, finance and service guys. Sure. Not so much for the factory worker, designer, robot makers, machinists etc.

The Buy American thing seems like a no-brainer but it's actually not as simple as politicians make it out to be. If all things were equal, it *is* to the greatest benefit to all if you buy something locally. However, if everyone *only* bought things available locally, regardless of preference or price, everything would be less reliable, improve more slowly (if at all) and cost (everybody) more. There would also be more shortages and many things would simply not be available period.

The whole idea behind the concept of free trade is that everyone benefits from people doing the thing they do best. Of course, if you don't do anything well, you are kind of screwed. Part of Buy American is an implicit suggestion "...even if you'd rather not."

A high percentage of the oil that made the gas that goes in a Harley comes from overseas and the Chinese buy our debt. It's nice to be self sufficient, especially if you are at war, but it's more efficient to be cooperative.

I have a Suburban and a Steinway - both cost me a ton of money and were made in America. Bought 'em cause I wanted them, not specifically to support American workers. But perhaps that gives me a coupon to buy a handful of Japanese motorcycles.

cayuse
03-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Hacc81, sorry man, but if you go for the HD you're gonna have to give up that full face helmet.
Sorry, bud. :neener:

Water Warrior 2
03-13-2011, 03:58 AM
And maybe dress like a pirate. Did you realize H-D colors are black/orange like Halloween ? All kidding aside I would own a H-D if I had a fortune to spend on a large garage and toys to fill it. A Ninja 250 would be a hoot too. A Ural sidecar rig would be on the short list too.

rhollandphoto
03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
WW I sat on an M50 yesterday. Have not ridden one. Seems like the riding position is "less cruiser style" than say a C50(?) Felt like the handlebars required me to lean more forward than sit upright. anyway I have ridden a C50. Thanks.

hacc81
03-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Hacc81, sorry man, but if you go for the HD you're gonna have to give up that full face helmet.
Sorry, bud. :neener:
Hey cayuse, not really because the Sportster is not really a Harley... Remember? :lol:

And maybe dress like a pirate. Did you realize H-D colors are black/orange like Halloween ? All kidding aside I would own a H-D if I had a fortune to spend on a large garage and toys to fill it. A Ninja 250 would be a hoot too. A Ural sidecar rig would be on the short list too.
WW, I think is the Suzuki the one with the orange/black combination... But I don't know, I kinda like it... Are you gonna tell me that you don't like Pirates of the Caribbean??? :lol: :neener:

For now, I'm just gonna wait until is sunny enough to test drive both bikes again (and perhaps others too) and finally try to make a decision...
Anyways, thanks for your replies guys... Appreciate it... :2tup:

mrlmd1
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Just for the heck of it, if anyone's interested, there's a guy here on the local CL trying to sell a brand new red Vulcan 500 with 61 miles on it (bought it new, then chickened out about motorcycles- can't master shifting he says). He's down to asking $3750 now from originally $4750, and I bet he would even take less as he's had it on there for many, many months now with no takers.

alantf
03-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I came across the Boulevard M50 Special Edition (black/orange, beautiful bike!) and the [b]H-D Sportster XL883L Superlow

I know this is an old post, but it reminded me that most Harleys are orange/black. Today I spotted a new roadster in a beautiful shade of mid blue. It really did the bike justice, & made it stand out. Anybody know if this is a new Harley colour, or has it been around in America for some time, as I've not seen this colour before, over here. :)

mrlmd1
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
That Vulcan 500 I mentioned above is now down to $3475 - sounds like a good price if anyone's interested. (on Tallahassee CL).

Water Warrior 2
03-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Alantf. Take a walk through a couple large H-D shops and the black/orange is not that noticeable. H-D probably has the largest variety of colors and trims accents on the market. Also their paint is second to none as you have no doubt noticed.

alantf
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Take a walk through a couple large H-D shops and the black/orange is not that noticeable.

That explains it. :) Over here there's just one Harley shop, & it's not that big. Seems like all their bikes are black or orange. Must be the way they order them. We just have to buy what bikes the dealers offer. :cry: