PDA

View Full Version : Freeway & Wind

Rionna
07-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi,

I just rode my GZ "The Beast" to the dealership which is 50 miles away for the 600 mile maintenance. Actually, I was at 735 miles because of the last week and the weekend. I've had a lot of fun on hills, winding roads, state routes, night driving, and parking lot drills. It had 2 miles on it when I purchased it late May. Wouldn't you know that today the first real long distance experience on the highway, I get a rain storm (yes first time in the rain) and gusting winds. For the first time, I felt unsure and a tad bit anxious. :cry: I was able to control the bike, but felt like I was drifting sideways a few times. How realistic is it for me to be concerned about getting blown off the highway? For the knowledgeable vets, what advice can you give a newbie for windy rainy riding other than stay at home? I wanted to turn around but was midways. Thanks in advance.

Rionna

geezer
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
keep your hands at the ready to fight against the wind. so if the wind hits you on the left side, push the right handle bar to counter act the wind blowing you to the right. other side vice versa. also how much do you weigh? im 220 and have never had any issue with being blown around on the bike. also in the rain, follow the car in front of you. not to close f course. use there tracks,this will keep your bike from possibly hydro plaining on some deep water. one day you might learn to love riding in the rain, if i expect it to happen its pretty fun to ride through a storm, now if i dont expect it...thats a different story :fu:

JWR
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Keep hands loose and elbows bent.

Don't fight the bike, just go with the flow.

Rionna
07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I know I will encounter this situation again, and I want to be prepared. Geezer you're right, I find rain soothing just not when I think I'm going to be swept over a bridge. As for my weight, Geezer, you want a girl to divulge it all. Let's just say I'm 5'6 and a little more than 75 pounds lighter than you. But with your advice I'll be able to tame my Beast. :rawk:

Thanks

Rionna

geezer
07-12-2011, 12:17 AM
now your giving my images :drool: lol, not sure what the other guy means but dont go with the flow if the flow takes you into a wall or another car. but he is right, dont fight with the bike, ever. and that wasnt what i meant to say. just a push of the handle bars is all it takes to keep it on track.

Water Warrior 2
07-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Rain is or can be fun for a while. Best invest in a rain suit for the next chapter in your riding career. Also good for cutting a cold wind when you are dressed lightly. Take time to ride in light wind to get a feel for it. Stands of trees on the side off the road can have a scary effect. You are pushed one way and then find yourself headed the other direction because the wind is blocked by the trees. Get past the trees and your direction changes again. You will not get blown over but the direction change is unnerving till you get some saddle time in wind. Big trucks passing the other way can block/unblock the wind too. Be aware of that too.
Next you can tackle rain grooves in the road. Lots of fun when the bike does it's dance under your butt. Let it, it won't fall. Stay loose, don't tense up and giggle a lot.

Suncross
07-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Riding in the rain is fun. Just be sure to remember your training on cornering. Most of that stuff about losing traction happens mostly while riding in the rain in my experience. Hell, even paint on a hot day is a bit slippery.

Rionna
07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the tips and will use them. Going to purchase a rain suit this weekend. I was a little shaken after my 1st experience with strong winds and rain, but I will make a point of going for a ride when it rains so that I can build my skill level. Can't wait for the Beast to get out of the shop so I can ride. Thanks again!

alantf
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM
With regard to the rainsuit - You might find a cheaper one at a camping store. The bike shop ones tend to be a bit expensive. I bought mine at a camping store, around ten years ago, and it's still going strong. All I need to do is give it a spray of reproofer each year, then back into the saddle bag it goes. :2tup:

cayuse
07-13-2011, 01:01 PM
camping store :2tup:

jonathan180iq
07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
I bought a rain suit at the dollar store once...

That was a great idea :retard:

5th_bike
07-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I bought a rain suit at the dollar store once...

That was a great idea :retard:
Ha ha those have the endurance and strength of a shopping bag ! (guess how I know... :roll: )

To add to the discussion, I just ordered a new rain suit from Sportsman's guide.

Rionna
07-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks Alantf for the camping store suggestion. I was stunned by the high prices of the online motorcycle shops for rain suits. I appreciate the tips.

GZ250
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
During rain or when the roads are wet. Never stop (brake), ride or put your feet on the paint (white or yellow). The paint is slippery and you will easily slip and strain your ankle if nothing more.

Though it is fun but it is very easy to slip during rain or on wet roads. Be very careful.

mrlmd1
08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Advice for riding in the rain? SLOW DOWN. Be aware of things that are wet on the road that wouldn't necessarily bother you when it's dry can be a real hazard.
Be very aware of your surroundings and what may be lurking around that next corner. Brake sooner and slower, smooth is the key.

If and when you are thinking about a rainsuit, get those nylon waterproof covers for your boots too, There's nothing worse than having soaking wet boots and socks and having nothing to change into. Usually you have to get then from a motorcycle site, cost $15-20, take up very little room in a saddlebag .

alantf
08-04-2011, 04:24 AM
My boots are totally waterproof. Not cheap, but worth every penny.[attachment=0:2a4ddi20]b31.jpg[/attachment:2a4ddi20]

For details, Google "impraperm"

mrlmd1
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Those look way too clean and new. Have you worn them yet? :poke2: :)

Way
08-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Just be careful not to out-ride your skill level. I'm new too and it seems to me that 65mph is pushing a new rider's skills pretty good on a dry day never mind wind and rain. Practice at slower speeds of course. I've noticed that occasionally I hit 60 or more on the secondary roads now where before 50-55 seemed to be where I felt I was pushing it. I think that this naturally occurs as we get better. I'm not sure that high speed interstate riding in rain and wind on the GZ is ever going to sound or feel enjoyable though. :hide:

Water Warrior 2
08-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Keep in mind that cagers tend to do even stupider things in the rain. I don't have a clue why but I have observed that over the years. What are they afraid of..............getting wet ??? WTF, you're in a waterproof cage you dolt.

alantf
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Those look way too clean and new. Have you worn them yet?

The leather's so thick that the only creases that have appeared yet are where my ankles bend. The quality is A1. :)

Gz Rider
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM

varangianknight
11-14-2011, 04:03 AM
G'Day, just thought I'd let you know that i know exactly how you feel! I picked up the bike at the dealers and had to ride it about 400 kms to get it home, that day! I hadnt ridden a bike for about fifteen years so i was pretty nervous to begin with. About 100 k's from home ran into a sudden thunderstorm. Slowed down to about 60 kmh ( about 40mph i think) Was going fine, nervous and scared, but fine. Then, hail. then heavier rain!
After this i called an experiened rider friend and he said he would of just stopped and waited. The odd thing was that i felt like i wasnt being unsafe. Was i just ignorant of how dangerous it was or can you trust that kind of feeling.
Also had trouble deciding which part of the road to ride on. In my lane there was a dry patch in the middle, but i was taught that is where the oil is. On the left and right of my lane there was lots of pooled water in the car tyre tracks. Which is the bast part of the road to ride in in the rain? Anyway, made it home and was amazed that i wasnt to sore or tired, what an amazing bike!

Rionna
11-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Congrats on your new bike! You're right, it is an absolutely amazing bike. I'm glad you made it home safely! I've encountered rain on many more occasions since the initial time. I try to wait a bit before heading out or stop at a spot to wait a while when it starts to rain because I'm still not a big fan of strong winds and rain on the GZ. I'm real cautious because like others posted, here in Ohio, the cage driver's IQ seem to drop when they see a few drops of rain and they drive erratically.

The more experienced riders will have the best advice for you as to how to ride safely in the rain. I'm still a new rider with just 2000 miles this riding season under my belt. Welcome to the forum!

alantf
11-14-2011, 06:39 AM
Blasted rain!!!!! Set off for the local town, this morning. Just a few spots of rain, but a little cool, so I just put on a body warmer. Got 2Ks down the road, when the heavens opened! I was so wet when I got to town that I collected my printer inks then went back home. I had planned on going to a friend's, a few Ks away, but I was so wet that I would have been dripping all over his furniture. The rain had started so suddenly that I was soaked before I had a chance to stop & get my waterproofs out of the saddle bag, so I thought that I may as well stay wet, & get a change of clothes when I got back home. :cry:

alantf
11-14-2011, 06:43 AM
varangianknight, where abouts in Oz are you? I've got friends on the west coast, in Secret Harbour, near Perth. :)

BTW, how much did the bike cost? My mate says that everything in Oz costs an arm & a leg. :??:

Water Warrior 2
11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Mother Nature has a way of taking the fun out of riding. She also teaches us that riding in wind and rain can really be living on the edge of disaster. Getting absolutely soaked to the bone is one thing but a temp drop will also affect your body temp which is extremely dangerous. Had this happen on my first long distance ride and almost learned a fatal lesson. Warm and wet is doable but cold and wet is not a safe way to ride. Throw in some wind and your reaction times really suffer. Hypothermia will easily ruin your day.
One thing that really scared me was how vulnerable I was in the rain. We normally don't associate a real danger with oncoming traffic but rain really loads the dice against a rider. In heavy rain an oncoming car can splash up a wall of water from the road and there you are on a bike heading into it.
Maybe it is just old age but probably a touch of wisdom too. I never leave home without rain gear. I have enough storage for rain gear, a change of clothing and other old guy needs to help cover my a$$ if disaster strikes.

varangianknight
11-15-2011, 02:33 AM
alantf, about 400 kms east of melbourne and the bike cost 2675, ride away.Managed to pick it up pretty cheap as the dealer was going out of business.

lenkf
11-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Rain suit: I avoid biking when the streets are wet because I have a 4 wheeler option. However, I do have a rain suit I keep JUST IN CASE stuff happens while 2-wheeling. Especially if the rain suit is inexpensive, make sure to also keep rubber bands handy to wrap around wrists and ankles. Maybe a strap to wrap around waist. If I expect a bit of rainy weather and can't avoid it, I also have a couple gallon plastic storage bags for my feet, also with rubber bands :)

Water Warrior 2
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Actual rain booties are available and will probably work better in the long run. Or just get water proof riding boots. I have had some for 4 years now and only had one start to leak slightly last year. Sprayed the boots with 3M water repellant and all is good.

varangianknight
11-24-2011, 02:35 AM
I live by the coast now and just found out that you dont have to be on a highway to have a scary experience with wind! Headwind, icky. Tailwind, Cool. Sidewind @#$^* scary! Slowed down, TRIED to relax (how the heck do you relax when death may be only a breath of wind away!?) and hunkered down.

blaine
11-24-2011, 07:24 AM
I live by the coast now and just found out that you dont have to be on a highway to have a scary experience with wind! Headwind, icky. Tailwind, Cool. Sidewind @#$^* scary! Slowed down, TRIED to relax (how the heck do you relax when death may be only a breath of wind away!?) and hunkered down.
When I first started riding my G.Z. the wind would scare the s#^t outta me.You get used to it after a while.It took me a full season to get over the edgy feeling in the wind.
:2tup: :)

Water Warrior 2
11-24-2011, 01:15 PM
The wind will not be as scary after some more saddle time. In time you will know what is coming but not quite when but it won't be near as frightening as you learn to relax and not tense up which makes things worse. I also live near a coast and we get wind everyday on a regular basis. Just like the tide coming in and going out. I wondered who would name a town Squamish. Simple answer really. A native word for Mother of the Wind.

lenkf
11-25-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a fairly heavy duty rainsuit I bought for my big moto and store it in the sidecar. I avoid moto rain riding due to slippy roads and haven't used the suit yet (SoCal rider). However, I learned from forced bicycle riding in the wet that sometimes you can't avoid rain :) I added a handful of rubber bands to the bag that contains my moto rain suit. These will keep water from running up my legs and arms in case I have to moto in the rain. I also keep 2 1-gallon freezer bags handy for feet :) Cheeze feet can get cold when its wet.

alantf
11-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I also keep 2 1-gallon freezer bags handy for feet :) Cheeze feet can get cold when its wet.

Or get boots with the IMPRAPERM logo. They do what they say - keep the feet perfectly dry. Try Googling for further information. :)