PDA

View Full Version : Help Verifying Sprocket Fit

gzlocal
07-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi Guys!

New to the forum. If this is in the wrong spot, Admin feel free to move! Just bought my 2007 black GZ about 2 weeks ago, and I am looking to swap to a 16 tooth sprocket as my first mod. My buddy has a few sprockets laying around his garage. Unfortunately, he is located out of state, and must ship one to me if I want it. So I need a little clarification as I am new to this bike.

1. I know the part numbers for the JT sprocket is 434.16 and I also know the OEM part number. There are no dealers in my area to order from either.
2. The chain is standard 520 correct?

So my buddy has a brand new 16 tooth sprocket from a 2006 GSXR 600, which also has a 520 chain. Since these 16t sprockets are a bit pricey and sometimes hard to find, I was wanting to see if this sprocket would fit, as he will ship it to me for free and save me $30 as opposed to buying one off of Amazon. This is a stock 16t.

So my question is, will it fit? Common thinking would suggest so, since the chain is the same size, so all that leaves is the thickness of the sprocket. Does anyone know if the sprockets used on these bikes were interchangable, or at the very least will fit correctly?

Thanks ahead of time, I'm already loving the material on this forum!

cayuse
07-13-2011, 12:55 AM
The sprocket will have to fit the splined drive shaft, too. Get your buddy to measure the diameter of the spline hole in the middle of the sprocket, and count the spline teeth. Then you can compare that to your own measurements. He can also tell you the thickness of his sprocket.
Good luck!

blaine
07-13-2011, 06:56 AM
So my buddy has a brand new 16 tooth sprocket from a 2006 GSXR 600, which also has a 520 chain. Since these 16t sprockets are a bit pricey and sometimes hard to find, I was wanting to see if this sprocket would fit, as he will ship it to me for free and save me $30 as opposed to buying one off of Amazon. This is a stock 16t.

Welcome.The chain is a #520.Get your friend to check the number on the side of the chain carefully.My son has a 2004 GSX R600,and it has a #525 chain.The #525 chain is beefier than the #520.The #520 seems a little puny to put on a bike with over 100 H.P. Good luck.
:) :2tup:

bonehead
07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Bought my 16t @ sprocket specialties for 17$ plus 5$ for shipping-came right to my mailbox.

jonathan180iq
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Why not cross reference the OEM part numbers from the microfiche over @ www.ronayers.com (http://www.ronayers.com) ?

gzlocal
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Ok, so here's the deal. The chain on the GSXR 600 IS a 525, but they have a 520 conversion for the bike. This bike did not have that conversion. The only difference in the sprockets for chain size is they are usually a bit thicker, which presents a problem since the sprocket must sit flush in the correct position. Some sprockets are thinner than OEM, and it is easy to add a washer to the back to correct this problem. However, with this sprocket, it measures approximately 3mm thicker than my factory 15 tooth. Not too big of a deal if you have a milling machine to machine some metal off of the center raised portion, but for me it seems like too much trouble just to save $20. I believe I'll just go with the JT434.16, since I can get it for around $21.

For future information, powersports superstore charges a lot more for shipping now on these sprockets. The cheapest I found was on Amazon for $12.97 and shipping was $8.19. Comes out to around $21.

For all other purposes and future information, the measurements are identical to the factory sprocket. So for those who are more skilled metal workers than I :retard: , and also more equipped, this sprocket can work. Otherwise, it is much easier to go for the official replacement.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!