PDA

View Full Version : Better gas mileage.

Colton74442
07-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, the stock 250 gets better mpg than anything I've ever owned, but I'm still looking to make the overall number higher. I've seen some places where fairings have gotten good review for this, along with windshields... Any other ideas to streamline the gz? I don't mind stripping in down for improvements. Thanks!

JWR
07-26-2011, 06:36 AM
Gas mileage is a direct result of the right hand position while riding.

93 mpg is the best that I ever got.

Colton74442
07-26-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't ever plan on taking her over 60, with 55 being the steady. I'm using her for cruising and to get to work (5 miles from home) and to get to school (20 miles away).

mrlmd1
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
A windshield will make you a lot more comfortable and protect you from road debris and bugs but will not help your gas mileage. As a matter of fact, if the windshield rake or angle is not right, like too vertical, it may increase the wind resistance and reduce speed and gas mileage. It should be at the angle of the forks for starters and sometimes you have to play with it and keep adjusting it a little at a time to get it right, but worth the overall effort IMO.

geezer
07-26-2011, 06:05 PM
going slower is gonna give you the most mpg increase for sure. if your around alot of hills like i am, you can forget it. hills are this bikes worst nightmare. strelok, a guy on this forum, installed a faring on his bike mabye you can ask him

alantf
07-27-2011, 05:57 AM

Wow!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :bow: :bow: :bow:

JWR
07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Wow!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Blue Ridge Parkway-Skyline Drive 1415 miles 4 days.

Blue Ridge Parkway speed is 45 mph. at 460 miles long.
Skyline Drive is 35 mph at 106 miles.

Stock bike with 15 tooth sprocket.
Most times it was in the 80's mpg.

jonathan180iq
07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
For what you want, only going 55 and only traveling 20 miles at your longest stretch, you could probably get some wicked fuel economy numbers by actually detuning the bike.

On my last scooter, I dropped the main jet down from a 122 to a 115 and saw a 20 mpg increase. As long as you don't have to go 75 mph or take off like a rocket, I think the bike can handle it. Try it out and see what happens.

PS: Make sure you have done some research on jetting before you go diving in head first. This is my kind of project! :)

Colton74442
08-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd probably have to have someone help me drop the main jet. I have very little experience with maintenance beyond regular scheduled work. Interesting theory, though. A little off topic, but still about gasoline... Has anyone ever upgraded their bike with a bigger gas tank? I ran a couple searches, but the only thing I could find about gas tanks were posts about deposits and one relating to a Harley Sportster (I think) tank, but it didn't look all that bigger. I am on a quest to find that elusive bike that will run forever on one tank of gas :/ It's probably not going to happen any time soon. Are there size differences limiting the width of the tanks, or is the gz a fairly large tank among bikes? Thanks!

jonathan180iq
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Look at what some of the Iron Butt riders do to get more gas into their tanks.

One of the members over @ http://www.ninja250.net named Duke took two gas tanks and stacked them on top of each other, welding them at the seam.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?t=68838

I believe some of them also ride with a secondary tank strapped to the rear of the bike. But those things are expensive as crap.