PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs

Jvacustoms
09-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I am wanting to try iridium in my bike but was concerned if it would be to hot and scorch my piston top , is that a valid concern or am i just over thinking this thing

alantf
09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Don't know the pros & cons of iridium, But I bet they cost more. Just my opinion, but it's a gz you're riding not a top of the range, high compression crotch rocket. Why pay extra for something that's going to be of no benefit whatsoever, when the standard spark plug does its job efficiently, lasts forever, & is what was designed for this cheapo bike. :)

Jvacustoms
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
i installed iridium plugs on my car and it increased acceleration and the idle was nicer. I was just gonna try it on the bike and if it was better keep it if not im out 9 bux

Rookie Rider
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Go for it.. let us know !!

music man
09-22-2011, 04:56 PM
i installed iridium plugs on my car and it increased acceleration and the idle was nicer. I was just gonna try it on the bike and if it was better keep it if not im out 9 bux

You figure at worst it is going to perform exactly the same as a standard plug, and you figure one of them will cost you at least three bucks if memory serves me correctly. so you are only out an extra six bucks and that iridium plug will probably outlast the GZ.

Jvacustoms
09-22-2011, 05:00 PM
i just didn't know if i had to worry about it messing up my piston

Gz Rider
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Gz Rider
09-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Water Warrior 2
09-22-2011, 05:09 PM
The Vstrom has Iridium plugs in it now. They don't make that big a difference in the way it runs(this bike anyway) but the advantage is the fact that they last so long. Probably never need plugs again for the bike. That is why modern cages have Iridium plugs, no tune ups for years and they just run great. The Iridium tips of the electrodes do not burn off or get munged up like a standard plug.
Had a 96 Ranger with a four banger and 8 plug head. Over 100,000 miles and never missed a beat.

mrlmd1
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
You must check not only the length but the heat range of the plugs. You just don't buy one and pop it in, it has to match what's required for the bike.

Jvacustoms
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I was gonna get the dr8eix which is the iridium replacement for the dr8ea both ngk plugs

jonathan180iq
09-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I've never seen, either through personal experience or documented material, any real proof that fancy plugs make a big difference on anything... car or bike.

Your ignition system can only output so much juice. The coil and the wires electricals are more responsible for getting a strong spark into the combustion chamber than the spark plug is (assuming the plug is right heat range and gapped properly). If you have upgraded the ignition system to a higher output, then you might be able to squeeze some more "umph" out of an engine with an expensive plug. (assuming, of course that you have already upgraded intake and exhaust and the only thing holding you back from making REAL power is the spark... But for the vast majority of us, that's just not the case.

It's only $9 bucks, so it's not a big deal. And sometimes we just want to mess with stuff so we can feel like we're doing our vehicles come good. I can certainly understand that. But don't do this just because you think it will make the bike faster. With a stock ignition, a fancy plug can do nothing more than a maintained OEM plug can.

Gz Rider
09-23-2011, 09:03 AM

mrlmd1
09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
The iridiums just last longer so you don't have to bother with replacements, like changing them every year or two in a car or bike is a real PIA or difficult task, they don't necessarily ignite the gas any better than a standard spark. The power is related to the exploding gas in the cylinder, not the hotter, if any, spark you get. If the gas explodes, it explodes, and a good plug will do that. Iridiiums can still get fouled or damaged by improper air/fuel mixtures, they are not immune, just less so than a standard plug.

Gz Rider
09-23-2011, 10:39 AM

music man
09-23-2011, 12:24 PM
That being said, I've seen cars where it takes an act of god to get to the plugs.

I have a car like that, actually I have had two of them (the same car, just different years). I have a ford explorer, and it costs well over 200 bucks just to get someone to change the plugs in it, because the passenger side ones are so time consuming even for an experienced mechanic to get to, and virtually impossible for even someone like me with a toolbox full of tools to get to.

Gz Rider
09-23-2011, 02:22 PM

blaine
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I have a car like that, actually I have had two of them (the same car, just different years). I have a ford explorer, and it costs well over 200 bucks just to get someone to change the plugs in it, because the passenger side ones are so time consuming even for an experienced mechanic to get to, and virtually impossible for even someone like me with a toolbox full of tools to get to.
Some Ford vehicles came from the factory with a two-piece spark plug that would separate when removed from the engine, leaving the threaded base seized into the head of the engine,requiring removal of the head to get the broken plug out.The aftermarket soon followed with a one-piece plug to solve the problem.
:) :cool:

Gz Rider
09-23-2011, 05:04 PM

blaine
09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/20 ... ad-design/ (http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/11/ford-spark-plug-removal-tool-picture-of-fords-bad-design/)
This explains it very well.

Gz Rider
09-23-2011, 05:53 PM

blaine
09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/11/ford-spark-plug-removal-tool-picture-of-fords-bad-design/
This explains it very well.

Thanks for trying but I'm on dial-up. Is anybody surprised?
It was their 3 valve engine that had the problem.The 4.6 5.4 and the 6.8.The two piece spark plug typically comes apart, separating the main part of the spark plug from the huge electrode shield. Leaving the shield & electrode seized in the head.

:)
http://s2.postimage.org/193298zz8/Ford_Spark_Plug_Problems.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/193298zz8/)

Water Warrior 2
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Many of the newer vehicles have wireless ignitions systems with separate coils on each plug. Adds to efficiency and no need to replace wires that are probably the weakest point in the ignition system for many engines.
As an example of plug efficiency for a bike I had a wonderful surprise years ago. I fouled a plug on my KDX 200 two stroke. Popped in the spare plug, Platimun tipped or whatever was the apparent best according to opinion. Made the bike run like it was suddenly drinking steroids for fuel. The bike actually scared me for a while until I adapted to it's new found power and response.
I doubt that will be the case in more modern engines as the manufacturers try for the most efficiency. In the case of the GZ I would think it might benefit from a better quality plug. It is a price point bike and any higher quality/efficient plug might make a difference.

music man
09-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Never forget to pop that hood before buying a car to see where stuff is.

Yeah well when you buy used cars you buy what is in your price range that runs good, doesn't really matter much where the spark plugs are, plus I had already owned one and knew what I was getting into this time.

Gz Rider
09-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Gz Rider
09-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Gz Rider
09-24-2011, 01:08 PM

blaine
09-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the pic. As Dr. Mccoy once said, "I know engineers, they love to change things."

From the looks of it I'd say moisture get up between the plug extension and the wall of what I'd guess is the head, then they nicely rust together?
Yep.Your exactly right. :cool: :)

Water Warrior 2
09-24-2011, 10:13 PM
[quote="Water Warrior":3kgp5bkc]As an example of plug efficiency for a bike I had a wonderful surprise years ago. I fouled a plug on my KDX 200 two stroke. Popped in the spare plug, Platimun tipped or whatever was the apparent best according to opinion. Made the bike run like it was suddenly drinking steroids for fuel. The bike actually scared me for a while until I adapted to it's new found power and response.
I doubt that will be the case in more modern engines as the manufacturers try for the most efficiency. In the case of the GZ I would think it might benefit from a better quality plug. It is a price point bike and any higher quality/efficient plug might make a difference.

A two stroke is so inefficient anyway, I could see a new plug vs. old worn plug making a huge difference. Also a slightly hotter plug might burn a little more of the fuel before the exhaust valve "opens".

I would think the GZ was very efficient as is. It's not like we are blowing unused gas out the exhaust (like a two stroke).[/quote:3kgp5bkc]
Actually the plug that fouled was a fresher standard plug. A very long downhill path with lots of switchbacks and no throttle munged up the plug.

Gz Rider
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM

alantf
09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
the two stroke mixes oil with gasoline. One fouled plug. My guess is any plug would have failed in the same situation.

I always made sure that I carried a spare plug when I had 2-strokes. Many was the time I was glad that I did, especially in the days before electric starters. If the kickstart didn't fire it up after the first 4 or 5 kicks, the plugs always used to oil up. Other times they would oil up after hard riding. The older bikes didn't have a separate oil tank, so we had to mix the oil and petrol. A drop too much oil per gallon was another good way to foul the plugs. O_o

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I have found out about a plug and I am wanting to try it I just cant find a single sparkplug and really dont want 2 of them considering the price of them till i know that they are gonna make a difference. It is called a "Pulstar Plug HE2RT" it is a direct replacement for an NGK DR8EA. I am interested to see if there is any truth to the claims of performance increases as the claim.

Gz Rider
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
better spark but i am almost sure it is a hoax claim, anyway.

Gz Rider
10-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.pulstar.com/Main/PULSTAR-Home.asp?P=1

Gz Rider
10-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I haven't found a single plug yet for that model i am willing to try it once.... even if it is a scam I will know for sure then

Gz Rider
10-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 05:01 PM
can measure responsiveness for torque factors. I.e. I have an issue taking a hill at more than 45-50 it that improved id consider than an increase in torque

Gz Rider
10-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Water Warrior 2
10-06-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.pulstar.com/Main/PULSTAR-Home.asp?P=1
Just reading their promo material and it looks like a new name for an old resistor plug. They have been around since forever. On the other hand you have to consider what actual coatings or materials are on most spark plug electrodes. Some work better than others and some just sound great.

Jvacustoms
10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
can measure responsiveness for torque factors. I.e. I have an issue taking a hill at more than 45-50 it that improved id consider than an increase in torque

I don't think you can measure a percentage increase, just a feel on that issue, that's why I suggested sticking to things that you can measure with a number. You could be going a little faster or slower going into the hill. You already state a range of 10% by saying 45-50 MPH. A 10% torque increase could easily be lost (or found) in there.

Also, I just remembered you were the person that was only getting 50-55 MPG. For that reason I suggest that you do no modifications until you get that number where it is supposed to be. If you choose to go ahead with the plug anyway, any other repairs or modifications will probably ruin your data.

If for some reason 50-55 is normal for your bike (my understanding is Suzuki did a re-design in 2004 that increased mileage), you shoudl expect the numbers to increase to 52-58.85 mpg.

I don't know why my bike runs the way it does but I also don't know how to fix what I can't diagnose.

alantf
10-07-2011, 04:33 AM
I think the crunch is "the amount of performance will depend on the make, model and condition of your engine"

"Sorry sir, but you're riding a bottom of the range, 250cc bike that's a few years old. No sir, you can't have your money back" :whistle:

CMS
10-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I was gonna get the dr8eix which is the iridium replacement for the dr8ea both ngk plugs

I"m running one now, had it put in during my last bike service, Runs and starts great with no problems . Will see how long it lasts. I'm happy so far. CMS :rawk:

Gz Rider
10-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Gz Rider
10-07-2011, 09:00 AM

blaine
10-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Mine was a 99 model,got 60-65 mpg and had no problems going up hills at 55 to 60.This was a bike that had over 40000 Km on the odometer.Your bike is definitely lacking in performance & economy.

Gz Rider
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Gz Rider
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Jvacustoms
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I have tried to pursue the performance issue on this bike other than ripping the motor apart i have no idea what could be wrong with it. clean carburetor, tank, air filter, bike, new tires (properly balanced, and inflated), 87 octane with the star tron enzyme treatment from Marathon fuels(which I have never had a problem out of) chain is properly adjusted new brakes on the front and properly adjusted rear brakes, new spark plug, all new turn signal bulbs and brake light bulbs, saddlebags and a 210 lbs. Rider 16t/41 rear and i ride at 55 in 5th with consistent smooth take offs and mostly rural highway driving. Stock exhaust, stock jets, stock seats, no windshield, but the chrome trim i added to the tank and fenders make it go faster... lol runs right no choke after 5 minutes or so. I hit reserve on my bike at 152 miles on average with 3.0 gallons of fuel to add.

mrlmd1
10-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Are you running 100% pure gas or E10?

Jvacustoms
10-10-2011, 09:28 AM
E10 I cant get ethanol free gas in my area unless I pay close to 10 dollars a gallon at the boat dock... with a gas can.

and I drive way to much to water seperate the fuel from the ethanol.

mrlmd1
10-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Is either your front or rear brake dragging? Does the bike roll easily in neutral and do the wheels spin with no dragging?

Jvacustoms
10-11-2011, 08:15 AM
the front brake squeaks from time to time but only since i put new brake pads on the front a week ago and the rear will spin regularly and i didn't notice any drag on the front.

greatmaul
11-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi, old thread I know, but I'm looking to tune up my little bike since I don't know when the last time it was tuned was (bought with 7k miles on it.)

Anyway, was intrigued by the "pulse plugs" because, well... the ads are all slick and stuff, but checked on Amazon and the reviews for it are quite dismal: http://www.amazon.com/Pulstar-BE-1-Puls ... B000WMHEBE (http://www.amazon.com/Pulstar-BE-1-Pulse-Plug-Pack/dp/B000WMHEBE) complaining of cheap materials, poor performance, lasting only about 8k miles and at best, the same mileage as a good platinum plug.

I know iridium are a known quantity, since they're used stock in many japanese car engines, so I may go that route, or just platinum. In any case, I'll be avoiding the pulses.

alantf
11-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm You seem to have forgotten that the GZ has a low compression, built to a price, single cylinder, engine. Given this, and the fact that the stock plug does its job efficiently, and lasts forever, I think you're deluding yourself by thinking that an expensive, highly marketed, plug is going to make any difference whatsoever, apart from lining the pockets of the manufacturer. All a plug does is ignite the fuel/air mix. The stock plug does it well enough (perfectly, actually) but if you want to throw your money away, then let us know how you get on. :2tup:

Jvacustoms
11-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I found that the Copper Champion Plug is a slightly more efficient plug that the standard ngk plug, or at least in my case it has been about 2-3mpg difference, but not really any power gain other than placebo effect. I top speed out at 75 with a 15t gear, and 87 with a 16t gear in the front. My quest for power from a gz got placed on a back burner to allow the quest for life of my goldwing 1200 to be accomplished. I ride my gz everyday about 80 miles a day. That might stop soon as it is freaking cold before the sun comes up in Georgia! when the sun is out i could ride all day...

CMS
11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
I am wanting to try iridium in my bike but was concerned if it would be to hot and scorch my piston top , is that a valid concern or am i just over thinking this thing

Mine works great with no problems [GZ250 2008] CMS

Gz Rider
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Water Warrior 2
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I found that the Copper Champion Plug is a slightly more efficient plug that the standard ngk plug, or at least in my case it has been about 2-3mpg difference, but not really any power gain other than placebo effect. I top speed out at 75 with a 15t gear, and 87 with a 16t gear in the front. My quest for power from a gz got placed on a back burner to allow the quest for life of my goldwing 1200 to be accomplished. I ride my gz everyday about 80 miles a day. That might stop soon as it is freaking cold before the sun comes up in Georgia! when the sun is out i could ride all day...

May be the Champion you put in was gapped better? Or maybe you did other tune up work?
Quite possibly Jva found the plug that the GZ ignition system is happiest with. Might be his bike only, who knows. It is just like oil and gas, some engines will react marginally different to different product lines.