PDA

View Full Version : spare fuel bottle

greatmaul
12-20-2011, 07:42 AM
http://s10.postimage.org/rxpvcsop1/primus.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/rxpvcsop1/)

I ordered a primus 1.5 liter fuel bottle on ebay for $15 shipped. They're for camping fuel, but I've heard that motorcyclists use them all the time to store extra fuel.

I know that 1.5L is only about 1/3 gallon so it will get me another 20 miles or so if I have to use it, but still, I'll feel a tiny bit safer even though it's kind of like a little molotov cocktail in my trunk. I'm thinking I'll dump it in the tank about once a month and refill it to keep the fuel fresh.

What I really wanted was a 5 liter (a bit over a gallon) small jerry can but that might be overkill if I'm not going on any sort of a long trip.

edited to add: and no it's not a water bottle! The gaskets on metal water bottles are not designed for fuel and will swell up right away and the bottle will leak all over. These are supposed to be fairly safe. :whistle:

mole2
12-20-2011, 09:24 PM
http://s10.postimage.org/rxpvcsop1/primus.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/rxpvcsop1/)

I ordered a primus 1.5 liter fuel bottle on ebay for $15 shipped. They're for camping fuel, but I've heard that motorcyclists use them all the time to store extra fuel.

I know that 1.5L is only about 1/3 gallon so it will get me another 20 miles or so if I have to use it, but still, I'll feel a tiny bit safer even though it's kind of like a little molotov cocktail in my trunk. I'm thinking I'll dump it in the tank about once a month and refill it to keep the fuel fresh.

What I really wanted was a 5 liter (a bit over a gallon) small jerry can but that might be overkill if I'm not going on any sort of a long trip.

edited to add: and no it's not a water bottle! The gaskets on metal water bottles are not designed for fuel and will swell up right away and the bottle will leak all over. These are supposed to be fairly safe. :whistle:

I certainly wouldn't want to have an accident with that on my bike. It could light you up like a candle.

:)

mrlmd1
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
They're pretty solid, used by off roaders all the time to carry extra fuel. Probably stronger than your gas tank.
Some of the aluminum water bottles will work, it depends on what the rubber gasket is made of (nitrile, fuel resistant is OK) - you have to test them.

Gz Rider
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM

Water Warrior 2
12-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Why do you want to do this? The GZ already has a range in the neighborhood of 210-250 miles. What's another 20?
Try riding way up north to Alaska and the Yukon. You may get to the Arctic Circle but you can't buy gas to get back. Once you leave civilization as most of us know it the availability of gas and services are few and far between. Carry enough gas going in and burn it up coming out.

Gz Rider
12-21-2011, 09:29 AM

blaine
12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Also some on this board have discussed a phenomenon of carb icing that you should be aware of depending on when you go.
If you are riding in lower temps,it is a good idea to keep a fuel line ani-freeze in the fuel to prevent "icing"
:) :2tup:

Gz Rider
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Water Warrior 2
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Gas line antifreeze is a thing of the past isn't it ?? Most modern fuels have up to 10% of the stuff already.

Water Warrior 2
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry greatmaul, I mistook Water Warrior's response for yours.

To: Water Warrior- my own non senior moment!
Good practice for your Golden Years. :lol:

blaine
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Gas line antifreeze is a thing of the past isn't it ?? Most modern fuels have up to 10% of the stuff already.
You can still get it no problem.Or a lot of the additives already have some in them.I was thinking more along the lines of moister in tank it's self,rather than in the fuel.I still see a lot of stranded motorist's,with frozen fuel lines from running the vehicle on the low side instead of keeping the tank full.
:) :cool:

mole2
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
You can still get it no problem.Or a lot of the additives already have some in them.I was thinking more along the lines of moister in tank it's self,rather than in the fuel.I still see a lot of stranded motorist's,with frozen fuel lines from running the vehicle on the low side instead of keeping the tank full.

The ethanol in the fuel is the same thing as gas line antifreeze. That's where the problem of phase separation comes from - the ethanol absorbs water and separates from the fuel. If you're using enthanol fuel you really don't need to add more to the tank.

greatmaul
12-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Well, it's just peace of mind. I don't think I get 210-250 miles on a tank. I'm all freeway, all the time, and my round trip is about 170 miles. I'm averaging in the low 50's mpg and have had to hit the reserve quite a few times on my way towards the gas station, even when I haven't made any side trips.

Unfortunately, there's a big gap between Sacramento and Marysville which I drive through. It's straight up the Sacramento Valley by freeway, and it's all farmland and no (open) gas stations for a good 40 mile stretch.

I do try to drive conservatively, but it's open freeway, and I just feel unsafe sometimes going 50 when everyone else is going 70.

Gz Rider
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM

greatmaul
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Right, I do know that gas station. It's very cute, but old fashioned and is open during regular hours, and my night commute is from about 11:30pm to 1:20am. The smaller roads would be fine if I wasn't in any sort of hurry, but would probably change my commute time from almost 2 hours to closer to 3 1/2 hours a night.

I'm not always at 50, just when I don't want to wind up the engine. If I work at it, I can stay up over 60, but I'm really always looking for a big rig to shadow. It's funny, once I get to the city I can sport around at 65 all day long in 5th because there are so many wind breaks around me.

I'm starting to realize that I need a different bike. I love my little GZ dearly, but there is only one thing it isn't good at, and that isn't fun on it, and that's extended freeway. And, there's only one thing I use it for, and that's the same. Also, I don't want to run the poor thing into the ground. I'm keeping my eye out for a nice little V-Strom or BMW F650, or even a Vulcan 500.

Gz Rider
12-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Water Warrior 2
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
The Vstrom would be cheaper overall to own and operate. Also the 650/90 degree V-twin is very smooth compared to a 650 thumper. Are your legs long enough to straddle an adventure bike ?

greatmaul
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I think so, I'm a good 6ft tall. I'm really looking for good mileage. There are apparently a lot of motorcycles in the 500+ cc range that are capable of getting 60-70mpg:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Motorcyc ... r500cc.htm (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/MotorcycleFuelEconomyGuide/best-motorcycle-MPG-over500cc.htm)

All dependent, as you say, on the position of the right hand of course ;)

greatmaul
12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
That Vulcan 500 would be my first choice up from the GZ. It's discontinued status bothers me though but then the GZ and many others have been discontinued in the last few years.

I read your recommendation elsewhere here about the Vulcan 500 and that immediately put it at the top of my list. :)

blaine
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I read your recommendation elsewhere here about the Vulcan 500 and that immediately put it at the top of my list. :)
I have the older Ltd 454.(predecessor of the Vulcan.Same engine.)Also the same engine in the 500 Ninja.This engine has legendary power for it's size.It can out pull bikes twice it's size.It is also very reliable & fuel efficient.(50 to 55 MPG).Don't shy away just because they are discontinued.The engines have not changed since 1985.

mrlmd1
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
. My concerns are just issues of unvented gasoline that wants to expand causing problems or maybe just a wasting of money (remember me on the compressor issue? My M.O. generally is if you don't need it don't buy it.)

Those gas canisters are NOT going to blow up. The gas is not going to expand inside the can or vaporize with extreme pressure to pose a danger. They are very strong and have been used for many years for camping and offroad riding and have no problems associated with them. They are meant for carrying fuel and are designed for that purpose.
If I were you, I would get 2 of them, then you have an extra 40-50 mile range before you run out if gas stations are so few and far between. Or you can get 1 gal flat poly cans that can mount on the bike, but they are not as strong. Just put the cans in your saddlebags and you'll be fine.

Gz Rider
12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

blaine
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
My reasons for the Vulcan may or may not match yours. I look for fuel economy first as that's the whole thing that put me on a motorcycle 3 years ago. Easy maintenance is next and the air cooling sells if for me as one less thing to worry about. The fact that it was a twin vs a V means it should have a little more room for my hands to work on it. It's chain drive which is more maintenance but it's maintenance I understand. I'm not completely against belts but shaft drive makes me nervous that if anything goes wrong I may not be able to handle it. I like spoked wheels and tubes because I know mounting them will not be a problem. Tubeless can present some problems with the first inflation.

The Vulcan is actually a water cooled engine.I like a water cooled engine because they last longer,being built with closer tolerances,and temps stay more constant in hot weather.My older 454 has cast wheels & belt drive.They eliminated both in 95.I like both the belt and cast wheels,for ease of maintenance and tubeless tires. The belt is quieter & cleaner.Through some research I found out that there is a H.D belt that's fits my bike.I installed a new one at less than $200.00.I will never need to replace a belt again.I like the tubeless tires because if I get a flat on the road it is easier to fix.Plus they are easier to keep clean.Over on the Vulcan forms,there are people looking for the cast wheels all the time,so they can do away with tubes.The cast wheels are getting scarce & more in demand.

Gz Rider
12-22-2011, 06:13 PM

blaine
12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote/ In 1990 Kawasaki introduced the smallest of the Vulcan models, the VN500. Powered by an air-cooled 498cc parallel-Twin engine, the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 /Quote.
Yep, they are definitely wrong. :) :cool:

Gz Rider
12-22-2011, 10:23 PM

blaine
12-22-2011, 10:58 PM
That pushes me more toward the Yamaha v-star 650. Another discontinued bike.....

What is it with this industry?
Same as Honda discontinued the 600 in 08. :??: :cry:
A lot of mid-size cruisers for sale around here gets top dollar because you can't buy them new.I guess that's why I got $2250.00 for my 99 G.Z. A 2004 Vulcan 500 with 40+ thousand sold last week for $4300.00.It sold the first day it was listed.

greatmaul
12-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Wow I hadn't really heard of the 454 LTD. I'll have to add it to my list for stuff to search for. I'm ok with either water or air. Actually, I feel a bit safer with a water cooled engine, but that's just me. I'm new to motorcycling, but have spent a lot of years wrenching on cars and swapping out water pumps is definitely something I've done a few times.

Fuel economy and easy maintenance are definitely at the top of my list.

Those gas canisters are NOT going to blow up. The gas is not going to expand inside the can or vaporize with extreme pressure to pose a danger. They are very strong and have been used for many years for camping and offroad riding and have no problems associated with them. They are meant for carrying fuel and are designed for that purpose...

Very glad to hear this, too, as this was the impression I got about these cans from looking online. I actually was thinking of getting a pair, eventually. This one popped up at $9.99 plus shipping for the 1.5 liter size and I just couldn't resist.

By the way, I like that totalmotorcycle link you posted!
Glad to help! I love looking at that site even though it's hard to navigate. "Real world" mpg numbers vary wildly and the only numbers listed are self-reported, but at least you can get an impression of what kind of mileage a bike is capable of.

blaine
12-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Wow I hadn't really heard of the 454 LTD. I'll have to add it to my list for stuff to search for. I'm ok with either water or air. Actually, I feel a bit safer with a water cooled engine, but that's just me. I'm new to motorcycling, but have spent a lot of years wrenching on cars and swapping out water pumps is definitely something I've done a few times.

Fuel economy and easy maintenance are definitely at the top of my list.
The Kawasaki 454 LTD is a motorcycle produced from 1985 to 1990, also known as the EN450. It is the forerunner of the Kawasaki Vulcan. The engine was a precise copy of the Kawasaki Ninja 900s, with two fewer cylinders. The Kawasaki 900 had a 908 cc engine. Removing two cylinders from the 4-cylinder divided the number of cc's by two. (908/2 = 454, thus the name).[1] Included was the liquid cooling, the bore and stroke, the double overhead camshafts, and four valves per cylinder. This gave it a great deal of power for its size, redlining at 10,000 RPM while delivering 50 horsepower. The 454 is considered a good starter bike for having a low seat height and light weight, as well as an efficient use of counterbalancing to limit vibration. The Kawasaki 454 is well known for its high rate of acceleration, having raced against a 454 ls big block Chevrolet Corvette and beating it to both 0-60 and the quarter mile by more than a second.

http://s16.postimage.org/j4tnmfvkx/Picture0046.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/j4tnmfvkx/)

Gz Rider
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM

greatmaul
12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
The Kawasaki 454 is well known for its high rate of acceleration, having raced against a 454 ls big block Chevrolet Corvette and beating it to both 0-60 and the quarter mile by more than a second.
http://s16.postimage.org/j4tnmfvkx/Picture0046.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/j4tnmfvkx/)

Whoa, that is so awesome! I found an article with pics online here: http://www.454rider.com/articles.php I think it's the 2nd one down. It sums up with "Ultimately, though, in this competition there is no comparison. In performance, specs and style, the LTD simply has it all over the Corvette."

way too cool. :rawk:

blaine
12-23-2011, 03:57 PM
That is a copy of the original article,wrote in 1985.
Now you can see why I love my 454. :biggrin: It always gets comments in a crowd. :cool: :)

Water Warrior 2
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
What the world needs is a 454 in a standard configuration.