PDA

View Full Version : OW! My aching back!

dentheman
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I have awaken in the morning with severe lower right back pain numerous times in the last few weeks. This morning it was so bad I didn't think I would be able to get out of bed. In each case, after getting up and moving around for less than an hour the pain is almost completely gone, and later it disappears completely. At first I thought kidney stones or maybe I needed a new mattress. But it soon became apparent that I didn't have such pain until I got my Shadow. If I didn't ride for a few days because of weather the pain was less each morning until it was gone.

The rear suspension was set at 2 when I got the bike, and it did bottom out a couple times, so I stopped by the dealer and had them set it to 3, which the manual recommends for my weight. It no longer bottoms out and the ride actually feels better with the stiffer suspension. The saddle is plush and feels comfortable to me, but pretty much restricts me to one riding position, and then there are those forward footpegs. I don't know if any or all of those factors are causing the discomfort, but I do know that I will be trading the bike in at the end of summer if I can't relieve this problem. I will try a Shadow RS (more upright saddle position and footpegs further back, more like a standard than a cruiser) or a Ninja 250 (leaning forward position, with footpegs way back...I'm not in to sportsbikes, but if it works I will be happy). But I am getting ahead of myself talking about other bikes at this point.

My question to you: Do any of you use a kidney belt or back brace when riding? Do either of these devices work well for you when it comes to back pain? Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

ADDED ; The thought that my body just needs to get accustomed to riding has also crossed my mind.

Water Warrior 2
03-17-2012, 12:59 AM
The cruiser type of bike is pretty much the worst kind of bike for your posture and back related ailments. That said, many riders swear by them. A standard sit up and beg position is easiest on your body in general. Foot pegs that are more or less under you will allow you to lift your body a bit to help absorb road bumps when this get really rough. An ocassional lift will also relieve muscle soreness and promote blood circulation.
I would suggest keeping the bike if everything else is okay with you. Hunt for a more supportive seat and maybe change the handle bars. Just for the fun and experience of experimentation why not trying some padding on the seat to raise you up slightly and maybe give a little more back support. Also try rising and lowering the bars an inch to change your body position slightly. Re-adjust your controls and mirrors to compensate. Bikes are a little adjustable so give it a shot.
Bungee a bag on the passenger seat to lean into to help support your back as an experiment. Think of your bike as a work in progress.
If all else fails just buy a used Vstrom with a custom seat.

dentheman
03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks WW, I will keep your suggestions in mind. Since my post I have been researching lower back pain and found that it can be caused by many things, from short hamstrings to lack of exercise to stress (the muscles tense in preparation of 'fight or flight'), and much more. I am going to take a step back from blaming the motorcycle for now, to see if I can improve my own physical/mental state. I know I don't get enough exercise and have found some back exercises that I started this evening, to be done three times a week. And what about the mental stress of learning to ride a fairly large, powerful, and heavy 'first' motorcycle! I am sure I have been riding around with clenched muscles and not realizing it. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so I will go for a ride with the purpose of 'relaxed riding'.

I might also lower the bars a little as you suggested, it does seem that I am sitting down in the low saddle and reaching up for the grips.

Water Warrior 2
03-17-2012, 03:46 AM
Sounds like your research will be even better than my suggestions. Physical conditioning is a must and another thing I should be doing myself. Also the new bigger bike could be doing it big time. Lynda had a few aches and pains adjusting to the M-50 when she 1st got it. Changing the bars for her shorter arms helped a lot too.
So get out there and relax on a scenic curvy road that makes you smile a bunch. I know from experience a straight road will give me a tense back but curves and a little body english works beautifully.

alantf
03-17-2012, 05:38 AM
So get out there and relax on a scenic curvy road that makes you smile a bunch.

So why do you Canadians/Americans with your wide open spaces make me so jealous? :cry:

dentheman
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Scenic curvy roads are a rarity in W. Texas, but there is a nice state park nearby that should do fine.

alantf
03-17-2012, 03:26 PM
The only long roads that we've got is the autopista (freeway?) round the edge of the island. The other roads are either up or down the mountain.

dentheman
03-17-2012, 04:44 PM
The only long roads that we've got is the autopista (freeway?) round the edge of the island. The other roads are either up or down the mountain.
I sort of wish I was back on the East coast of Florida. I was stationed there for 4 years and took long bicycle rides back then. Long, secluded, twisty back roads, with tropical 'forests' towering up both sides of the road, and wildlife including alligators along the sides. The road that I rode on mostly was fittingly called Tropical Trail. It was as if I had gone back in time to a neolithic or paleolithic period; civilization was left behind and it felt great. But no hills.

Those Florida roads were spotless, not all trashy like here in Texas.

Water Warrior 2
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
So get out there and relax on a scenic curvy road that makes you smile a bunch.

So why do you Canadians/Americans with your wide open spaces make me so jealous? :cry:
LOL. Alantf, if you ever rode your bike through the Canadian Rockies or along my fav piece of road here you would seriously consider moving to the GWN. Slipping over the border into Washington state is also a treat with some beautiful sites and places to visit.
Not all of our areas are wide open spaces. We just have a wide choice of routes from freeways to sweet secondary roads and comfy towns to visit on our journeys.
On the other hand I would also like to visit your island in the sun and share a beer with you. We all have a home location that some one else wants to visit.

dentheman
03-17-2012, 05:26 PM
This thread has gone off on a tangent, but I am enjoying it. I have been stationed several places around the world and have always been fascinated by the different cultures and geography.

Water Warrior 2
03-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Off on a tangent is half the fun.

mole2
03-18-2012, 03:23 AM
Another suggestion (concerning the back) is a rider seat back. I installed one on my V-Star and it was like night and day. I have a bad lower back to begin with (from an auto accident) and was getting some pain. Installed the seat back and now I can ride for hours without any pain.

:)

Water Warrior 2
03-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Another suggestion (concerning the back) is a rider seat back. I installed one on my V-Star and it was like night and day. I have a bad lower back to begin with (from an auto accident) and was getting some pain. Installed the seat back and now I can ride for hours without any pain.

:)
Lynda has a rider's back rest on her M-50 and it makes a long ride much better. I have one on the Vstrom and it is a great addition for comfort and stopping back pain.

JWR
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Just walked in the door 30 minutes ago...a little over 700 miles today.

Left Sanford,Fl at 7:30 got home at 7:00.

One bike in our group of 4 could only go around 130 miles before fill up.
We had plenty of gas breaks.

No back or butt problems on the trip.

[attachment=0:12u3hdl9]IMG_0116.JPG[/attachment:12u3hdl9]

:rawk:

Water Warrior 2
03-18-2012, 09:14 PM
JWR, just did the math. You guys weren't just out for a relaxing cruise.

JWR
03-18-2012, 09:22 PM
You got that right...

Suzuki TL1000 was the short mileage bike.
Honda VFR 800 was next.
My SV650.

The gas mileage king was a Yamaha R1 1000cc with 82,000 miles on it.

He beat me by 1 tenth ever time, but I was turning over 7 grand and he was doing 6.

Water Warrior 2
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Sheesh, you travel with a fast crowd. :2tup:

dentheman
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Sheesh, you travel with a fast crowd. :2tup:
Speaking of a 'fast' crowd, I will go off on another tangent with some questions concerning speed: What is the formula for determining engine RPM for various speeds if one knows the drive ratio. The owner's manual for my Shadow lists 'primary reduction' of 1.763; 'secondary reduction' of 0.944; 'final reduction' of 3.091; then the gear ratios with 5th gear being 0.852.

I would like to know the RPM's at 55, 65 and 75 mph in 5th gear. Also what is the highest reasonable RPM for a 745cc V twin that won't damage the engine?

I am simply trying to figure out what the best highway speed is for my Shadow Spirit 750. I feel she should do 65 fine, but I also feel the engine getting up in the revs at that point.

Water Warrior 2
03-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Do a search and find a Honda forum with 750's. You will no doubt find many threads with subjects concerning RPM and speed. That would be even easier than burning up a calculator with no real world comments from owners. You may even get tips about higher criusing speeds and the comfort level of the bike at those speeds. In all likelyhood the bike is stronger and has more endurance than you have.
Last year I spent a few hours travelling with a new friend on a 750 Honda. 60-65 MPH was a comfy speed for the 2 of us but he may have ridden faster when alone. OR he may have ridden slower.........who knows. He was happy and smiling with the bike and the open roads.
We were on secondary scenic highways that had enough curves to be pleasant but safe at those speeds. Paradise on 2 wheels eh !!

dentheman
04-03-2012, 09:29 PM
To get back on track and answer the question of my OP: It was my kidneys telling me to DRINK MORE FLUIDS, STUPID!

I have had some minor kidney pain in the past from not drinking enough water, but never as bad as this. I guess it is just part of getting older. It has taken a couple weeks of drinking plenty of water for the pain to almost completely go away. I still get the occassional very slight twinge, but I think the problem is about gone.

mrlmd1
04-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I've been involved in medicine for 35 years and never heard of that one. I don't know where you got that from. Dehydration does not cause "kidney pain" and drinking more fluids does not relieve that either.

dentheman
04-03-2012, 09:44 PM
I've been involved in medicine for 35 years and never heard of that one. I don't know where you got that from. Dehydration does not cause "kidney pain" and drinking more fluids does not relieve that either.
That's what I was brought up to believe. If there is lower back side pain you needed to drink more water. It seems to have worked for me over the years. But then it could be stones, and drinking more helped them pass. All I know is after drinking numerous 16 oz. glasses of water each day, the pain has dissipated.

mrlmd1
04-04-2012, 09:47 AM
A kidney stone is a SEVERE cramping, stabbing pain, not a lower back ache. You would know it if you had a kidney stone, and you would certainly be aware of passing one. It's unlikely that drinking water will make a stone pass, while it may increase the pain in the ureter and kidney behind it.
You were brought up to believe wrong, passing on some sort of myth or legend to modify your behavior.
How old are you now? The type of pain/discomfort you are describing is more likely related to an orthopedic problem - osteoarthritis, spondylolisthesis, degenerative bone changes in the vertebrae (spine) with age, plus more back and abdominal muscle strengthening excersizes needed and a change in body position.

Water Warrior 2
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Dang it Doc. You've been talking to my Doc again. Sounds like my conditions.

dentheman
04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
A kidney stone is a SEVERE cramping, stabbing pain, not a lower back ache. You would know it if you had a kidney stone, and you would certainly be aware of passing one. It's unlikely that drinking water will make a stone pass, while it may increase the pain in the ureter and kidney behind it.
You were brought up to believe wrong, passing on some sort of myth or legend to modify your behavior.
How old are you now? The type of pain/discomfort you are describing is more likely related to an orthopedic problem - osteoarthritis, spondylolyithesis, degenerative bone changes in the vertebrae (spine) with age, plus more back and abdominal muscle strengthening excersizes needed and a change in body position.
The pain was so severe that I thought I couldn't get out of bed some mornings. Then again this pain showed up after I bought my bike, and I do have to push it through the gate to get it into my yard (the gate is too narrow, so I have to get one handgrip through at at a time). And the bike is 500+ lbs. You're the doc, I'm not.

mrlmd1
04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
It's musculoskeletal -like a sprain. It'll go away (eventually) - sooner rather than later hopefully. Keep moving.