PDA

View Full Version : Making a Cafe Racer.

Wigginton49
03-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I fell in love with the cafe racer style a few weeks ago. What i really want is a Triumph thruxton but i can't afford it right now. So i would like to try and make my gz look as much like a thruxton as possible. Clubman handlebars are gonna be my first mod. The part i really need advice on is the back fender and seat. Is it possible to raise the back part portion of the bike with shocks. And to give it a more cafe racer style seat. Also just how to give the bike a more standard look. Any all and all advice about mods i can do, and how to do them is really appreciated.

PimpS
03-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Hello!

One of the members made hell of a caferacer from gz... Check it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4786 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4786)

greetings

Wigginton49
03-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah I saw that one. I just want the back end and the seat a more like the thruxton.

ecr959
03-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Hello Wigginton49

Go to this website. ITs all about custom-made cafe racers.

http://benjiescaferacer.com/combo-mild-steel.php

check out the crazy-looking tanks. Maybe they are expensive, but I'm sure this website is full of ideas.

Wigginton49
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
That link is really cool but what I'm looking for is people who have turned there gz's into cafe racer. I'm just not sure if I can raise the back end and turn the seat into what I want.

Wigginton49
03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Is it possible to just raise the back end with longer shocks?

mrlmd1
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
It would probably ride really hard if you did that.

blaine
03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Is it possible to just raise the back end with longer shocks?
Yep,you can put on longer shocks & still have your 5 adjustments to make the ride softer or stiffer.
:) :2tup:

Wigginton49
03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Great!! That solves that problem. Now about the seat if i get something like this.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-c ... thrux.html (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-chassis-seat-parts-one-up-bumpstop-race-single-seat-legendary-motorcycles-fiberglass-thruxton-abs-plastic-seat-lm-thrux.html)

Can i some how just put it on top of were the seat goes now?

blaine
03-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Great!! That solves that problem. Now about the seat if i get something like this.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-c ... thrux.html (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-chassis-seat-parts-one-up-bumpstop-race-single-seat-legendary-motorcycles-fiberglass-thruxton-abs-plastic-seat-lm-thrux.html)

Can i some how just put it on top of were the seat goes now?
You would need to get creative,and make your own mounts.
:2tup: :cool:

Wigginton49
03-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks so much guys. I'll post the pictures as i get everything put together. Until then any helpful suggestions would be welcomed

mrlmd1
03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
This is just my opinion but in my mind that minimalist seat looks terribly uncomfortable for a long ride and I think you would be sliding all over the place especially if you raised the rear end. It would be good if you can find a bike with a seat like that and sit on it first before buying it and then not being happy with it, but if it's just the look you want, then go for it.

Wigginton49
03-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I thought about that too. I figure if it is too uncomfortable i cold just beef up the seat or use maybe use the rear seat from the gz and as far as sliding around goes wouldn't it be riding any other bike with a "standard" style.?

Wigginton49
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm looking at rear shocks right now. The stock shocks are 12 1/2" correct? Would 14" shocks be too much?

blaine
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm looking at rear shocks right now. The stock shocks are 12 1/2" correct? Would 14" shocks be too much?
They should be fine.You can always run them on the softest setting if you like.
:) :cool:

Skunkhome
03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
I am thinking that the frame really does not lend itself to being turned into a real cafe racer. You can memick the look somewhat but it is hard to negate that down in the middle cruiser shape.

Wigginton49
03-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Guys i appreciate your comments but what i really need is suggestion and helpful tips. Negative comments don't really help the process.

mrlmd1
03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
You are asking for advice and that's what you are getting. Some of it you may not like, that's up to you. Search on here for other cafe's done and take a clue from what you see.

Water Warrior 2
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Negative comments will let you see both sides of the coin. The final decision is up to you.

mrlmd1
03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
The comments aren't so much negative, they're positive advice. or valid opinions. Your choice.

Skunkhome
03-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Guys i appreciate your comments but what i really need is suggestion and helpful tips. Negative comments don't really help the process.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are wanting from us. Cruisers and cafe racers are two different bikes from the frame up. That is like asking us for advise on how to make to make a '67 VW Beatle out of a Toyota Camry. Now if you were trying to make a cafe racer out of a TU250 or some other standard cycle then that is another matter all together.

Jvacustoms
03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Start by removing all body parts. Then chop the fenders and make a custom driver seat using the back pillon seat as the drivers reverse the drivers seat to the back and cut the foam as required. Re stretch cover and staple take tank off and sell it on here. Buy an old cafe style tank from salvage yard clean it install it. Remove handle bars and replace with broomstick type straight bar replacement and buy a small sport fairing for custom shop. Paint as desired and ride around. Until your hearts content

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Rookie Rider
03-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Perfect. There ya go !!

Skunkhome
03-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Start by removing all body parts. Then chop the fenders and make a custom driver seat using the back pillon seat as the drivers reverse the drivers seat to the back and cut the foam as required. Re stretch cover and staple take tank off and sell it on here. Buy an old cafe style tank from salvage yard clean it install it. Remove handle bars and replace with broomstick type straight bar replacement and buy a small sport fairing for custom shop. Paint as desired and ride around. Until your hearts content

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
You need to also modify the frame to add support members for the seat to get it up on a straight line from the head tube to the crest of the rear fender. Next you need to cut off the drivers pegs and rear brake pedal and re-weld them to the frame approximately 12" rearward to the rear edge of the main frame putting them under the rider rather than in front. That will also mean you will need to rework the shifter and probably have it attached directly to the transmission shifter shaft.
Sounds simple enough to me.

Skunkhome
03-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Hello!

One of the members made hell of a caferacer from gz... Check it!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4786 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4786)

greetings
I think calling these modifications a "cafe racer" is a bit of a misnomer. It ia a very interesting modification and is quite retro. Rather than being a "cafe racer" it looks like a 1930's vintage British motorcycle similar to The Matchless Silver Hawk or Royal Enfield.

Skunkhome
03-27-2012, 08:48 AM
You may want to follow this thread started by "ruxpin76"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4016 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4016)
So far he has photos of his tear down but I am interested is seeing how he reshapes the frame and moves the foot pegs back. I should be interesting to see how he progresses.

Wigginton49
03-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Guys these are all great comments. Thanks so much for your feedback. I have my bike at the mechanic right now to make the first adjustments. I'll post pics whenever i get it back.

winsmiles
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I too like the look of the Thruxton-tried to copy that same look without modifying the peg position which I find really comfortable for long rides-check out the photo at the new members post-Nick.

Water Warrior 2
08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I too like the look of the Thruxton-tried to copy that same look without modifying the peg position which I find really comfortable for long rides-check out the photo at the new members post-Nick.
You raised the seat which probably makes a world of difference on a longer ride.

Skunkhome
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I've seen your bike and it is a pretty remarkable transformation. It shows that you really understand the concept even though you left the pegs forward.