PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank

Dixons1217
04-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi guys I'm new to the site. I just purchased a 1999 gz from a family friend. The bike has a large dent in the one side of the tank and I'm looking for a new one. I found an 08 tank but I'm having a hard time finding if it will fit. Will an 08 tank fit on my 99 gz?

blaine
04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.Yes,it will fit.Most parts will fit year to year.
:) :cool:

Water Warrior 2
04-02-2012, 12:33 AM
The newer tank may or may not have an extra fitting for a charcoal cannister but that is easily blocked off. Be sure to get keys for the new gas cap too unless you want to use the old cap.

jack-_-hammer
04-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Since we are on the subject of gas tanks is there a way to get a bigger tank for a 2009 GZ250? I know my tank holds about 3.2 gallons Max

greatmaul
04-15-2012, 08:59 AM
I've never seen any other tanks available for the GZ, although I think it would be awesome.

I looked for such a thing once and the only thing I came across that was close was a thread where a guy took 2 tanks for a Ninja250 and combined them to make a tall tank. Sounds like way too much work for such a fuel efficient bike.

I think for hardcore adventure riders they have "extra" tanks that you can plumb together with your main tank, but that's also probably too much work unless your life depended on that extra fuel.

mrlmd1
04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
You can carry extra gas tanks on a rear rack if you really need them but the GZ has a 150 mile range at least, the way it is.
A few companies make portable tanks with their own mounting brackets, might be adaptable to a sissy bar or to saddlebag mounts, - Kolpin and Rotopak for instance. Those are much safer than adding another tank and plumbing it in. But why would you need that anyway?

greatmaul
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Well, my old car used to get about 39mpg with a 13 gallon tank, so I think sometimes people get used to having a 400 mile range. You never know how far it will be between gas stations after the zombie apocalypse.

dentheman
04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Well, my old car used to get about 39mpg with a 13 gallon tank, so I think sometimes people get used to having a 400 mile range. You never know how far it will be between gas stations after the zombie apocalypse.
Yeah, my Shadow has a 3.7 gallon tank and it gets good gas mileage, but I always fill up before 'exploring' and even then fuel capacity becomes a concern after riding in the boonies for a while. I did have one close call when I had to use reserve. I will look into the portable fuel containers.