PDA

View Full Version : I did it! I cut my muffler off and added a new one.

Rookie Rider
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
http://s13.postimage.org/de7klmdlf/1336524620966.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/de7klmdlf/)

http://s14.postimage.org/evput8a0t/get_attachment.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/evput8a0t/)

http://s14.postimage.org/igqbq73y5/1336524682088_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/igqbq73y5/)

Skunkhome
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Very nice looking is it the same EPA spec as the original ?

Rookie Rider
05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
No idea.

PimpS
05-09-2012, 05:43 AM
Nice bike there! How much for the non spoke tyre?

alantf
05-09-2012, 07:00 AM
I notice that it's got a different brake rotor. Did you have to change the caliper too? (and caliper mounting points)

Rookie Rider
05-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Thats how i got the bike, all i did was was paint the header pipes, motor and rear suspension, and change muffler.

jonathan180iq
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
RookieRider's bike's previous owner apparently installed the wheels from one of the Chinese clone GZs, which came in non-spoked. I don't think anyone is sure exactly what was needed to make the cross over a complete success but it's obviously possible.

Rook, have you pulled the carb yet to get your jetting underway? Until you do that, you're going to find that it's almost un-rideable.

Rookie Rider
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Havent ridden the bike yet, its been raining. Im hoping to ride tomorrow and see what my next project is with the bike. Jetting, fuel mixture etc. Hoping it will be just fine and i wont have to do anything.

jonathan180iq
05-09-2012, 01:48 PM
You will most definitely have to do something, brother.

Running like that without adjusting anything, even if it feels OK, can hurt your bike long term. If you're too lean over long periods of time you're overheating the bike more than necessary and you can also burn your valves. Don't do it.

At least pull the bowl and change the main jet to a 125+/- or something just to be safe. Once you've pulled the carb one time, you'll be a pro at it.

Pilot adjustments, needle shims and everything can come later if you want to really put it off. Just don't ride around like that for too long. You'll end up regretting it and you won't get nearly as much joy out of getting a little bit more power as you could have.

Some useful links:
Dupo's Muffler Swap - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19 (http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19)

Needle Shim Mod - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15 (http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15)

Jaime's Power Increase - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=617 (http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=617)

In those three threads alone you should find just about everything you need to know about getting your jetting right.

I also worked on some crap a long time ago that might be useful if you like long-winded reading and over-thinking:

Jetting: Part 1 - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513&hilit=jetting (http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=513&hilit=jetting)

Rookie Rider
05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
How about i put in a 135 jet, and where can i buy it ?

Rookie Rider
05-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Thank you for those links.

Rookie Rider
05-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Oops, your link told me i can get em at the dealers.

Rookie Rider
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
But what do u suggest be done first ?

jonathan180iq
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
I would buy a 125, a 130 and a 135.
My money is on the 125 or 130. I think 135 would be a little rich for just a muffler replacement.

Just walk into the Suzuki shop (Any bike store really) and tell them you need a few main jets.
3 jets should run you about $12-15.

You can access the carb for this procedure by turning it sideways. you don't have to fully take it off. When you pull the float bowl, some gas will spill out. Don't freak out.

I may be a little off, since it's been a little while, but the procedure goes like this:
1. Remove Seat
2. Unbolt tank
3. Pull tank vac lines
4. Loosen carb boots on both side of the carb (head side and intake side. Then just tilt the thing towards the left hand side of the bike.
5. Using a good quality phillips bit, remove the float bowl. (Don't strip these. They are a bitch. If you feel like it might strip, use vice grips)
6. Using a good quality flat head, remove the main jet and screw in the new one. (Yep. It's that simple.)
7. Installation is the reverse of removal.

A little trick to lose less gas when you pull the bowl is to turn the petcock to off and run the bike until it dies.
When you go to start the bike up next, it will take a while for the gas to fill the bowl again so it might seem hard to start that first time.

I would start with the 125 and then do the 130 if that seems to lean.
Once you get her running, take her out on a run and see how she responds at full throttle. After that, if you are satisfied with the performance, then you can worry about pudlding with the pilot or midrange. But the main jet needs to be done first.

Rookie Rider
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
thanks alot for all this info. my petcock dont say off anywhere on it, i just put it horizontal and assume its off. when im about to ride i turn it downward. it didnt come with the bike obviously.

Skunkhome
05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
?....

A little trick to lose less gas when you pull the bowl is to turn the petcock to off and run the bike until it dies.
When you go to start the bike up next, it will take a while for the gas to fill the bowl again so it might seem hard to start that first time.

That is strange my GZ only has three positions Run, Prime, and Reserve. There is no turning off the petcock on my bike. If yours is like mine you could leave the petcock on Run and disconnect the vacuum line (plug line with golf tee) then run the engine till it runs out. On the restart you set the petcock to Prime and it will fill the carb bowl without having to crank. Once it starts return petcock to Run.

Rookie Rider
05-10-2012, 10:47 PM
i dont know, im nervous cause i dont want gas all over the place, mine has wierd shapes as numbers, close to roman numerals.I think turning all the way to the right is reserve, middle (horizontal) is off and turned to left downward is where i leave it when riding.

Skunkhome
05-10-2012, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry I mis-stated the markings. The petcock is marked ON, PRI and RES. not Run.
This is what mine looks like: it is a vacuum actuated petcock.

This Is the ON position: no fuel will flow unless a vacuum is delivered to the petcock-this is normal riding position

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff369/skunkhome/33cfb8e8.jpg

This is Reserve position: no fuel will flow unless a vacuum is delivered to the petcock

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff369/skunkhome/06a90d12.jpg

This is the Prime position: fuel will flow to the carb when ever the petcock is in this position. Fuel flow is always on in this position.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff369/skunkhome/81eba5ae.jpg

Rookie Rider
05-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Yeah, mine is different. I will put pics up of my petcock tonight. Thank you for the pics. Always helpful.

jonathan180iq
05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
You guys are right. I forgot about the GZ not having an off setting.
Like I said, it's been a long time ;)

There isn't too much gas in the float bowl, so don't feel like opening it is going to suddenly result in a rehashing of Noah's flood. It's going to spill out, but it's only a couple of tea spoons full, if that.

Leaving it in "run", as suggested, would be the best thing to do. When in run, gas only flows when the engine is creating vacuum. When it's off, you'll only lose a drip or two to gravity.

mrlmd1
05-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I can't wait to hear how much better you think the sound is. Hopefully you'll get it running OK again.

Rookie Rider
05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
The sound is unbelievably different. I set off car alarms when driving down the road. Its loud. I love it. I feel mre confident now too, gear changing better too. Less embarassing. What a difference, kinda feel a loss of power i think.

jonathan180iq
05-11-2012, 12:33 PM
The sound is unbelievably different. I set off car alarms when driving down the road. Its loud. I love it. I feel mre confident now too, gear changing better too. Less embarassing. What a difference, kinda feel a loss of power i think.

That's because your flowing too much air and not enough gas. You can get it right but you need to sit down with it one night and get it done right.

mrlmd1
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Watch out, esp in the neighborhoods of NYC you don't get a ticket for excessive noise and illegally changing from the stock muffler that came on the bike.

Rookie Rider
05-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I called suzuki to order jets, they told me they dont take orders over the phone. I told them thats ridiculous. I have to drive 8 miles to the damn place then go back when they have em in stock. Jerkoffs !!

Jvacustoms
05-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Is that a baffled pipe? If so only a 130 will ne required i only needed 135 when i removed the baffle and had straight pipes all open and free flow air filter i got all my jets at motorsports dealer for jet skis and atvs just ask for kehein large round jets or mikuni large round jets they were the same when i went there and easiest thing to do is take one with you and they can match em but all the online parts places have em too if you dont mind paying shipping and you know what you are looking for. Cycleworld locally had a assorted box of em and if they didnt have the size they ordered on bags of 6 so u paid for all 6 and got em all but you only need one... best of luck though!

Ps i used nylon washers from home depot to shim my needle jet it took two super thin washers to make her mid range beautiful!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Rookie Rider
05-13-2012, 11:56 PM
I bought 130 jets. Had to by a 4 pack from suzuki. I told them a few things they didnt like but F'em. I need 1 not 4, whatever. It is a baffled muffler, it looks like 2 tabs inside thats all, alot of air goes thru seems like. Im thinking of sticking some steel wool in there along with doing the 130 jet.

greatmaul
05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
It looks great! Someday maybe you could get a video so we can hear it. You really did a good job. All the mods look great.

Rookie Rider
05-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks greatmaul but the only real mod is the muffler, everything else is just paint. lol. The rear suspension came out great with the red paint. Its not chipping or peeling anywhere, which i thought it would do already.

Rookie Rider
05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Im not sure how to record the sound. I love it tho, what a difference.

tatty06gz
05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm trying to figure out what brand and model of main jet I need to get. I know I will need either a 125 or 130, but am unsure of which "style" I need. Could someone let me know? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

tatty06gz
05-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Just saw JVACustoms post....

jonathan180iq
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/photos/MikuniJets.jpg

Just get something that looks like this.
If you don't want to take out your main jet and drive it down to the store, just print off the photo ;)

tatty06gz
05-25-2012, 12:46 AM
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/photos/MikuniJets.jpg

Just get something that looks like this.
If you don't want to take out your main jet and drive it down to the store, just print off the photo ;)

Weather has been crap here this week, so I've already pulled the carb and main jet so I can take it in and find a bigger one. Thanks for the reply though!! :rawk:

mithuth
05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Rookie Rider, how much is/was it for 4x 130 jets?
Happen to have the part number?

bonehead
05-25-2012, 09:14 AM
They should only be about 1.20 -2.00 each at the dealer.

Rookie Rider
05-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Yep, suzuki dealer had me buy a 4 pack for $10.99. They wouldnt sell me 1 jet cause theyre jerkoffs over there.

Rookie Rider
05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Part # coming soon.

tatty06gz
05-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Didn't get a part #, but I spent $7 for a 125 and a 130 m/j at my local bike shop.

Rookie Rider
06-08-2012, 01:04 AM
The suzuki dealer gave me part #k4/042 by Mikuni. But i noticed these i bought do not have a slot for the flat head screwdriver. Its just a flat top. The whole head of the jet can be tightned with a small wrench cause it has that shape. The manual part # is 09491-24026 it says. Im confused on what to do now. I think im gonna go back to suzuki doucher, i mean dealer :/ and see if they have a slotted jet head.

Rookie Rider
06-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Jonathan, whats your input ??

blaine
06-11-2012, 12:00 AM
The suzuki dealer gave me part #k4/042 by Mikuni. But i noticed these i bought do not have a slot for the flat head screwdriver. Its just a flat top. The whole head of the jet can be tightned with a small wrench cause it has that shape. The manual part # is 09491-24026 it says. Im confused on what to do now. I think im gonna go back to suzuki doucher, i mean dealer :/ and see if they have a slotted jet head.
These ones can be installed with a small socket & driver. :cool: :)

jonathan180iq
06-11-2012, 09:07 AM
These ones can be installed with a small socket & driver. :cool: :)

Blaine's right. They'll still work. You just use a small socket head instead of a screwdriver.

Rookie Rider
06-11-2012, 11:30 AM
So there is room for a socket head ? Ok, i wanted to make sure before taking the carb off. Thank you blain and jonathan .

jonathan180iq
06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
You don't even have to remove the whole thing.
Work from the passenger side of the bike.
Remove the side cover.
Loosen the carb boots on the front and back and tilt the carb away from you.
Carefully remove the float bowl. (Don't damage the bowl gasket or strip those tiny screws.)
Unscrew the main jet that is in there and then reinsert your new one, using a small socket to tighten. (Do not over-tighten. Snug is fine)
Re-install gasket and bowl.
Turn petcock to PRI to refill float bowl and then start the bike. (Don't forget to put it back on RUN)

Take it for a ride. If you still feel like the jetting needs some tweaking, then the next thing you'll do is the needle shim.

For good measure, inspect and adjust throttle cables after you've been fooling around down there.

Rookie Rider
06-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Ok, i took the main jet out. Very easy job to do. All i did was take off the float bowl, and then remove the main jet. Nothing else, 2steps only. When inspecting the old 120 jet, the hole looked bigger then the new 130 jet. Then i looked at the new jet and noticed the threads are different from the old one. FML. So i have to get back to the suzuki dealer and get the correct main jet. I put it all back together, and took it for a nice 1hour ride. I was kinda pissed. Thanks for the help fellerz.

PimpS
06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Sound please!!! ;) It really ooks great and may be, if the sound is much better I'll have my summer bemuffled...

jonathan180iq
06-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Since you know what you are doing now, just pull the jet again and take it in and show them what you need.
Being a bike shop, they HAVE to have a set of jets on hand somewhere in the back. The mechanics at my local Suzuki dealer used to bring out this tackle box full of stuff and let me poke through it. In turn, If I ordered jets online that I didn't need or something like that, then I would just give them to them. It was a nice working relationship.

PimpS
06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Since I'm not english, is the jet the screw with a tiny hole through which gasoline make his way? If so, how is the mileage per gallon affected usually?

jonathan180iq
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Pimp,

You have assumed correctly.

The numbers on the jets are code for the size of the hole. A #110 jet is larger than a #105 but smaller than a #115, for example.
Often times, gas mileage can be slightly affected but it depends on the state of tune of the bike as well. A larger opening for gas to flow through means that the engine is going to consume more gas, generally. However, when a motor is properly jetted, it can also make slightly more power and it's possible that in doing so, if the rider is still rather conservative with his throttle usage, that gas mileage may stay the same, or in some rare instances, actually increase.

I have experiences this going both ways.
When there are no changes to an engine's air flow, like when I had the 150cc scooter, I downsized the main jet just slightly and saw a fuel economy increase close to 15 mpg. On the GZ, my overall fuel economy decreased 2-4 mpg. And on my current bike (2007 Qlink Legacy 250), after installing a new muffler and jetting up to keep up with air flow, my fuel economy stayed exactly the same.

Like with anything, once you get more sound or power out of a machine, you tend to want to use it, which will also lead to an overall increase of fuel usage. I would think though, theoretically, that even if you upjet, if it is done properly and the mixture is neither rich nor lean, but just right, then mileage should stay the same... There are just so many variables in the game, that there is really no way to tell. Just assume that larger holes mean you are going to use more gas; but it's negligible.

Rookie Rider
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
The #130 jet hole was smaller then the #120 i took out of the bike. Why ?

jonathan180iq
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
They either gave you the wrong jets or you're eyeballs are mistaken.

I would just go back.... or go to a different shop... and get main jets that look just like yours.
At this point, just use e-bay. Buy a handful and then help out others by giving your extras to people on the board who need them.

I would send you what I have in my drawer, but I don't have anything bigger than a 122.5, which I don't think will do you any good.

Rookie Rider
06-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I took out the jet holder too just to make sure my eyes arent buggin. Lol

PimpS
06-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Jonathan, thank you very much for good explanation. I learned a lot here :)

Rookie Rider
06-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Ok, i went to suzuki dealer and they said thats the only jets they have with that part # even tho the manual has different #. I need an after market jet or jet kit or carb kit worth $80+ . I aint doing that. I asked him to ask the mechanics there to see if they have one, they do not have one..so i asked the mechanics to check
what size threads the original was and they said there are hundreds. I said get a thread gauge. They didnt want to. I walked out disgusted.

Rookie Rider
06-14-2012, 01:09 AM
I will need a #130 main jet with metric 5 mm threads. Anyone have any ?

Water Warrior 2
06-14-2012, 02:39 AM
I will need a #130 main jet with metric 5 mm threads. Anyone have any ?
Have you tried any small engine repair shops. Also try different brand moto shops for the part if you have the correct part number.

jonathan180iq
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
$6, shipped to your door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Main-Jet ... 358wt_1110 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Main-Jet-Tuning-Jetting-RS-HS-BST-N100-604-130-/150637793765?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2312b651e5&vxp=mtr#ht_2358wt_1110)

Rookie Rider
06-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks alot guys for all your help. I went to a motorcycle repair shop and they had a #128 main jet that they opened to a #130 ( so they say) i didnt see them drill it bigger so i have to take their word for it. I put it in the bike and notice NO differnce yet. Didnt get into 4th or 5th gear or go on the highway. But i do notice the motor is extremely hot, hotter then ive ever noticed. And has a smell of very hot oil.

mrlmd1
06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
So you've been at this for over a month now. I have a solution to your problem. Do you still have the original GZ muffler you cut off? If not, get a stock one and put it back on, put in the stock jets, the bike will run fine and you'll be happier in the long run. And the bike will be better off too. :poke2: :poke2: :neener:

Rookie Rider
06-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Nah, no way am i going back to the stock muffler.

Rookie Rider
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I'll get a new bike before i do that.

alantf
06-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Nah, no way am i going back to the stock muffler.

Each to his own, but today, as I parked in the supermarket underground parking lot, a Harley sportster was just setting off as I arrived. What an obnoxious sound in the enclosed parking lot. Glad I've got the quiet GZ. There again, us oldsters don't need that noise that the youngsters like. We don't feel the need to try & get everyone in the vicinity to look at our bikes. What gladdens my heart is that people have remarked how quiet my bike is. That's the way to get people to have a better opinion of riders. I bet if you ask your neighbours, they'll all tell you where to stick your loud exhaust. :)

Rookie Rider
06-17-2012, 01:08 AM
All my nieghbors can go - - - - Themselves in Macy's window on a sunday afternoon.

blaine
06-17-2012, 07:23 AM
All my nieghbors can go - - - - Themselves in Macy's window on a sunday afternoon.
Lol :biggrin: :)

alantf
06-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Ah well... I like to live in harmony with my neighbours. Makes life that much sweeter. :)

Rookie Rider
06-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I do too, but they arent the friendiest people and i dont know why. Its barely hello & goodbye when we see each other. I give people only so many chances.

jonathan180iq
06-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Two things. Did you watch then put in the jet or did they just tell you that they did?
If you haven't gotten the bike up into the 3/4 - full throttle range, then you haven't even tested the main jet yet. It increases flow slightly in the other ranges of the throttle position, but it has the greatest effect at WOT. Think of it as the main jet being solely responsible for gas flow when you have 3/4 - WOT.

Why the bike is starting to run hotter and smell hotter could be one of two things. Either they washed the bike off a little bit or perhaps spilled something on the motor while they were working and it was just burning off, or you've been driving around too long on a bike that is now very lean and you're starting to notice.

Mods aren't supposed to be done to the intake or the exhaust unless jetting is already on the agenda. If this bike were fuel injected, it would be different. But it's not. You have to manually adjust the fuel flow or you're going to overheat some internal parts. Not trying to scare you, but people have melted their valves because they didn't think jetting was necessary.

Now that you have a new main jet in there, you need to test the bike and speed and see if it is pulling stronger at full throttle. If it is, and if you are satisfied with it, then you need to determine whether or not you need to raise the needle one notch. If you are smelling the hotness and getting some lag in the mid range 1/4-3/4 throttle, then I would suggest you do this. It's hard to have a bad experience by running slightly rich. But running slightly lean can be a big deal, as I have suggested. Better to be rich than lean and better to be safe than sorry.

You know what, don't even test it. Go ahead and raise your needle. There is a how-to with pictures. And do it before you post back here again.

Skunkhome
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
I do too, but they arent the friendiest people and i dont know why. Its barely hello & goodbye when we see each other. I give people only so many chances.
Maybe your bike is too loud.
Down here, if they complain and you have modified your pipes you could be looking at a fine. It is supposed to be that way everywhere in the US since it is a federal law. Most police won't bother unless they get complaints which force their hand. Robert Frost wrote, "Good fences make good neighbors" but then again he didn't have a guy with a loud motorcycle living next door.

mrlmd1
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
FWIW, it is illegal to change the exhaust on a motorcycle from stock in most localities. but that law is not usually enforced unless there are complaints about noise or obvious evidence found by an LEO on the scene hearing it.

Rookie Rider
06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Jonathan, i picked up the jet and put it in myself, they didnt wash or even see my bike.

jonathan180iq
06-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Were you able to see little markings on the jet that noted the size? It would have been chiseled on there "128" or something along those lines.

Even if they didn't actually bore it out to a 130, that shouldn't really matter. A 128 is pretty close.
Take it for a full speed run and see if it feels laggy or if it seems to pull a little better. You'll still probably want to raise the needle just to be safe. These things are already slightly lean from the factory.

The other stuff that I mentioned, jetting theory, still apply.

PM if you need more help with this. Send me photos of what you got or something and I can walk you through this stuff. It can be a pain in the ass getting it right. But once it's set, you can leave it alone forever.

Rookie Rider
06-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah, the jet he gave me and supposedly opened to 130 had a printed 128 on it. My concern is the hot motor and smell of hot oil. I will take it for a ride maybe saturday. Heat wave coming tomorrow and thursday and i dont ride in that dangerous heat..

jonathan180iq
06-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm assuming you've checked the usual things, like oil level.

How many rides have you taken the bike on since you put the muffler on there. Is it few enough that you're just now starting to smell the familiar scent of the metal going through it's heat cycles and burning off some of the imperfections? That's not uncommon for a new exhaust.

Rookie Rider
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I put about 75 miles on with the new muffler.

jonathan180iq
06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
That's enough then to have already been through the first real full heat cycle, assuming you put on more than 1 mile at a time. ;)

Skunkhome
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
FWIW, it is illegal to change the exhaust on a motorcycle from stock in most localities. but that law is not usually enforced unless there are complaints about noise or obvious evidence found by an LEO on the scene hearing it.
Well, it is not illegal to change a muffler from stock, it is illegal to change it to another muffler that does not meet the original EPA specs as the stock muffler.

Skunkhome
06-20-2012, 09:31 PM
Wow, you have only put 75 miles on your bike since May 8th? Do you have another bike that you are putting all the miles on? Oh I forgot that you are a New Yorker :roll:

Rookie Rider
06-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Whats that supposed to mean, being a new yorker ?? No i dont have any other bike.

Skunkhome
06-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I mean I thought most walked or took public accommodations. What did you think I meant?

Rookie Rider
06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I thought you meant its easy to get around decause of public transportation, but i thought that after i didnt know what the hell ya meant. Lol

jonathan180iq
06-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Rook, you really need to get the bike out and stretch her legs. You need to see how she performs through all the throttle ranges, to make sure you have this kind of nailed down. Honestly, a 128, even if it's not drilled out, is probably going to be enough. Even if it's not ideal, at least you aren't as lean as it would have been otherwise. People ruin motorcycles though by slapping on intake and exhaust mods and not knowing that they have to upgrade the fuel flow as well... they then wonder why the bike never seems to run right anymore and they sell it.

If you're going to take time to invest money and emotional attachment to a bike or to a mod, you need to make sure you get the most out of it that you can. And, if you ever sell that thing in the future, you don't want to pawn off a piece of trash that idles rough and sputters and coughs at speed. That's not fair to the new owner and it's also going to turn off potential buyers or limit your financial return.

Rookie Rider
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I will get out and ride, too hot right now tho. But what is your opinion on why the motor got so hot and i smeleed something like hot oil. Maybe to rich with the 128/130 main jet ?

jonathan180iq
06-22-2012, 11:25 AM
No, a rich situation will actually cause the bike to run cooler, since there would be excess, unburned gas after each combustion cycle.

A simple sniff test will tell you if the bike is running too rich. If you smell gasoline in the exhaust after a ride, then it's a little bit too high. That being said. Since you have only changed the main jet, remember that you need to get into the 3/4 - full throttle range to fully utilize the main.

Running a little rich, I think, is preferred on air cooled engines because it will help with cooling long term. You can also check your spark plug after a full throttle run and see what kind of condition it is in. Black and sooty and it's too rich. White and hot and it's too lean. It should be perfect biscuit brown. ;)

As far as the smell, make sure there isn't some random hose or cable hanging against the motor and getting partially melted. Just throwing that one out there.

Rookie Rider
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks man. Tomorro riding after work. Let you know tomorro night.

northsidegz
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Sweet looking exhaust. Hope this is working out ok now for you. Like a few others, if you ever get a vid of the sound, would love to hear it! :)

Rookie Rider
06-27-2012, 01:28 PM
I will try to get a sound on here, its loud man.

PimpS
06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
SOUND!!! I wrote that wish i think 2 pages ago!!!! ;)

Rookie Rider
06-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I know you did. Sorry, busy and i have to get my wife to do it for me. And she could care less. Lol.

Jvacustoms
07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Mikuni large round jets are the technical name for the jets. I used a 130 and 2 nylon washers as well as the original needle shim adjustment of moving the washer to the top side of the eclip i never bought a carb kit this bike was a dream to work on as for the hot oil smell have you cheched that the plug on the bottom of the air box drain is in place and is not leaking oil onto that pretty new exhaust of yours?

Rookie Rider
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
No, no leaking. I think it was because my oil level was low. I have to get a sound vid on here.

Jvacustoms
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
yes you do!

jonathan180iq
07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Muffler Sound Clip

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6035 (http://gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6035)

Rookie Rider
07-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for putting on this thread jonathan. I was thinking to start a new thread with the sound so more people will catch it.

Rookie Rider
08-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Any thoughts on that ??

Jvacustoms
08-10-2012, 07:26 AM
File not found. And i forgot to subscribe to the post last time i didnt even know it was there.

jonathan180iq
08-10-2012, 10:22 AM
File still works for me when I follow the link back to the main post.
What error are you getting?

Rookie Rider
08-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Fine for me too.

Jvacustoms
08-12-2012, 04:29 PM
404 page not found

Jvacustoms
08-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Link was too direct for android i had to save the link and listen to it. It sounds good sounds like when i have fresh steel wool in it. After a few days that blows out and it gets louder ans more poppy let me know how it holds up.

Rookie Rider
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I want to stuff something in the pipe but dont know what yet.

Water Warrior 2
08-13-2012, 08:57 PM
A couple layers of rolled up metal window screening might work fairly well until it burns up or falls apart. Check with a dealer who sells a lot of dirt bikes. They may have some aftermarket products for making a muffler quieter. That is where I got the screen idea years ago.

Jvacustoms
08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I have been using 0000 steel wool and i think that is the issue. Try a super abrasive thicker steel wool it should be much more durable and alot less maintenance. Also the sell muffler fiber packing for the repacking of sport bike exhausts.

Rookie Rider
08-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Thank you guys.

Rookie Rider
10-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Im getting mysylef ready to do a needle shim, for a better mid range throttle response. Waiting on my new gas tank so i cleaned out my petcock filter (which seemed to have done a good job of catching the steel putty). Gonna check the jets are clear in the carb so might as well raise the needle ehh !!

Rookie Rider
10-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Oh and i have some high heat fiberglass muffler packing that i will wrap around my homemade baffle.

mrlmd1
10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
You still have the stock muffler? Put it back on if you don't like how much noise this one makes. You will never get the sound right, or the jetting, and you will spend more time fiddling than riding.

Rookie Rider
10-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I dont mind the sound, but my right ear goes deaf after long rides, literally. I do have the stock muffler just in case. Just want to muffle it a bit. It rides good, but i was told i should do the needle shim.

mrlmd1
10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Seriously, get some earplugs before you ruin your ears. Damage to hearing does NOT recover.

Rookie Rider
10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
High 5

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Needle shim is easy i did it with the carb on the bike. Just remove throttle cables loosen the clamps and turn the top to the right side of the bike. Remove the 4 screws with a ph2 screw driver and carefully remove the top lid the spring is right behind it. Then gently remove the needle jets slide diaphragm. Hold the hard plastic bottom of the slide diaphragm and use a set of needle nose pliers to cautiously remove the white jet retainer in the throat of the jet diaphragm... another spring.... pull the spring and jet out. Lay the needle jet on a table so that the open side to the e-clip is facing the table place your finger on the back of the e-clip to keep it from flying and press the needle jet down to remove the e-clip from the jet. Next slide the thick washer from the bottom side of the needle jet to above the e-clip location. Then re install the e- clip. I used nylon washers as well on the top of that washer. I used 1 m5 nylon washer. And re assemble the carb.

PimpS
10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Expertize! Jvacustoms, great. Don't know half of that what i read, but your words gave me feeling you know your stuff! Great!
;)

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 03:42 PM
I think i may have been an m3 washer come to think of it... will check when i get home

PimpS
10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Exactly! ;)

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Needle is out. I have 1 notch only on needle. Is it necessary to have the extra washer ?

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I put the washer under the cerclip and above plastic washer/spacer thing. I dont think its a big deal not to use another washer, it dont look like its gonna go anywhere.

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I cant see how this itty bitty movement of the washer would make such a big difference, its so small, the washer is about a half of 1/8 in depth so to speak. We shall see.

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Depends on you bike mine is almost straight piped. See the difference from the outer diameter the aluminum washers were to big. The nylon ones worked perfect. The stock needle only has one e- clip setting you would have to buy a carb jetting kit to have a variable needle. The washers help offset the needle for alot less money. And the size of the size of the washer does make a difference as that is what controls the amount of fuel released to the cylinders at mid throttle. The slightest variation can be the difference in 1 drop or 6 at any given moment. Changing the fuel to air ratio dramatically.

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Cool. My pipe is pretty much straight but i recently made a baffle for it.

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
I should be ok without using another washer tho right ?

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
My only answer is only the bike can tell you that... when you twist the throttle if its right you will feel the power band roll smoothly, no hesitation or chugging or backfiring

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Ok, im gonna leave it like this. Waiting on a new gas tank, then hopefully not freezing out yet so i can test it. I appreciate all the help and your quick responses brother. Youre a big help jv.

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Ive been there before. Am glad something helped you. Have you replaced the main jet? Might wanna do that while its down, if you haven't.

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah, i put a 138 main jet in after i changed the muffler.

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Havi.g trouble adjusting float bowl. Ya know the screw thats holds down thepin on one end of it, well i tighten it a little and the other end of the pin comes out/up. Gotta find that perfect hight too with a caliper. My caliper sux cow cock.

Jvacustoms
10-25-2012, 08:14 PM
As a man that has a beef cattle farm. Cows don't have cocks bulls do!

Rookie Rider
10-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Lmfao