PDA

View Full Version : Lower handlebars!!

bhppy101
10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I didnt like the rise and pull with the stock bars so I swapped them out with some superbike bars.

Heres what she looks like so far with the following mods:

Superbike bars
Shaved front an rear seats
mini signals
Shaved fender
Relocated license plate
Stickers on side covers removed

Stay tuned.....more mods to come!! :rawk:
http://upload3.postimage.org/409237/Picture024.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/409237/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload3.postimage.org/409241/Picture031.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/409241/photo_hosting.html)

http://upload3.postimage.org/409245/Picture025.jpg (http://upload3.postimage.org/409245/photo_hosting.html)

jonathan180iq
10-04-2007, 08:28 AM
how comfortable is that?

Also, you need some bar ends.

bhppy101
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
how comfortable is that?

Also, you need some bar ends.

It is more comfortable than stock! It brings your elbows down to a more relaxed riding position.

I have chrome bar ends that I havent put on yet.

jonathan180iq
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM
They definately flow better with the shape of the bike.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

bhppy101
10-08-2007, 02:35 PM
They definately flow better with the shape of the bike.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you?

Hey Jonathan....It is actually for my girlfriend she is 5'8"

theikeman
08-31-2008, 02:03 AM
Do they touch the tank at full lock either side?
Thanks

Easy Rider
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Do they touch the tank at full lock either side?
Thanks

That thread is almost a year old; don't think the author has been here much lately.
From the picture, it doesn't look to me like they come anywhere close to the tank.

But that brings up a question I have: I got the GZ for the upright seating position. What's to be gained by changing to more forward bars.......drag bars especially......unless, of course, you have really LONG arms ?? Seems to me like that would force a forward lean and put pressure on the wrists, exactly what I do NOT want.

In all honesty, I probably would have an S40/LS650 if it weren't for those damn drag bars.......that cause me to lean WAY forward on that bike (short arms). :cuss:

jonathan180iq
09-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I think it's mostly for looks or for those who are short in stature.

birdmove
06-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I think the bars he put on really improve the bike. I hate the stock bars that come on many "cruisers".

jon

patrick_777
06-20-2010, 10:38 PM
They do. Mine has lower aftermarket bars and it's a vast improvement on handling and overall feel from stock.

alantf
06-21-2010, 04:57 AM
This is the first time I've seen this thread. I looked at the pictures. When he said he'd relocated the licence plate - where to? - a shelf in the garage? :biggrin:

kraznos
06-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Look again, first pic where shock meets swingarm.

alantf
06-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Ah yes :blush: But is that legal in America? In both England & Spain, the plate has to be in the normal, readable , position. i.e. horizontal- like normal, readable, text. :??:

blaine
06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Ah yes :blush: But is that legal in America? In both England & Spain, the plate has to be in the normal, readable , position. i.e. horizontal- like normal, readable, text. :??:

Here in Canada it is legal to have your plate vertical as long as it's lighted and visible. :rawk:

Easy Rider
06-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Ah yes :blush: But is that legal in America?

Some places yes, some no. States make individual rules.
ALWAYS a potential reason to stop and hassle you though.

Scheezo
07-05-2010, 09:17 AM
It is not legal here in Florida where it looks like that plate is from. That law may have come about after those pictures were posted.

b1pig
10-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Lori's bike has the same style bars. i'm 5-10 and she's 5-09. it is very comfortable and easy to handle. the position isn't forward of normal, either.

as for tag location, yes, you should always check the laws in your state to verify what is acceptable and what it not. Another option is to contact your local PD and ask who the resident "Traffic nazzi" is. speak to THAT person. believe me. either they will know, or they'll know where to look.

i recommend Lexis Nexis. they list the laws for a majority of the states. In GA, that would be legal so long as it is "affixed to the rear" (firmly) and lighted by a white light making the tag visible for at least 50 feet in hours of darkness.

Water Warrior 2
10-28-2010, 05:14 PM
I believe there is also a law stating how far forward the plate can be moved. It was mentioned by some one somewhere that certain states will not allow the plate to be forward of the rear axle. So check with your local LEO for confirmation so you will be street legal.

Viirin
10-29-2010, 08:11 PM
hey what's the bike in the back round in the first picture?

Water Warrior 2
10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
hey what's the bike in the back ground in the first picture?
Japanese crusier with a drive shaft. Much larger with a V-twin engine. Looks like it received the same bar and seat mods, smaller rear signals and side mounted plate. Might be a Yamaha but not sure.

Sarris
10-30-2010, 09:37 AM
In 2009, Florida repealed the most of the 2008 tag law. They removed the horizontal & centered provision, so now tags can be vertically mounted on the side.

Section 4.?Subsection (3) of section 316.2085, Florida Statutes, is amended to read:

316.2085?Riding on motorcycles or mopeds.—
(3)?The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and may not be adjusted or capable of being flipped up.
No device for or method of concealing or obscuring the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle shall be installed or used.

FYI :)

Viirin
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
cheers WW

Way
07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Sort of an old thread I guess but not sure where else to put this. I would like to add lower handlebars and followed someone's advice about closing my eyes and putting my arms out to where they feel most natural/comfortable. The position was about an inch lower and also an inch further back. However, without knowing what rise / pull I have to start with, I don't know where to go from there. :??:

I found this link that lists the dimensions of the stock GZ250 handlebars:

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedM ... rsOne.html (http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/StockBarsOne.html)

It also includes suggestions for figuring out the cable lengths needed.

For the GZ250:

Bar Diameter = 7/8"

Height = 7"

Width = 28"

Pullback = 10"

Center = 6"

Clamp Area = 2 1/4 x 4"

So now I think I at least have a good idea of what to look for in a replacement handlebar: Pullback an inch longer and height an inch lower. Something like a handlebar with a 28" width (or possibly slightly wider), pullback about 11" and height about 6". If and when I get to this I will post how accurate this was. Seems like it could be hit or miss, but hopefully having the stock dimensions will make it less so. It might be a bit before I can do this project though as I'm still familiarizing myself with the bike and don't want to have to start over before I take the skill test.

Water Warrior 2
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
You will probably be in luck with the old cables. You aren't going overboard with extreme dimensions.

Changing bars would be the ideal time to install Symtec grip heaters on the GZ. They are cheap and will not tax the GZ's electrical system. Lynda had them on her GZ and loved them on chilly rides. Grip heaters were on her "Gotta Have It" list when she upgraded to her V-twin.

Way
07-05-2011, 02:23 AM
I didn't think of those. Come to think of it, the way Fall has been nice these last couple of years, that's a heck of a good idea. I am still waiting to hear on my HID headlights though and I need to see what kind of draw they will put on the system. Thanks!

-- Wayne

Water Warrior 2
07-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Depending on the HID headlight it will usually draw the same wattage or less than the OEM bulb.

Way
07-05-2011, 07:54 AM
That would be great. I'm not overly confident in the seller at this point. A couple of weeks back, he was going to list the kit on the following Monday. I waited through the weekend till about Wednesday to ask about the item, waited again and was told he was waiting for it to arrive from the warehouse. Then it was held up in customs.. And so I sit. The trouble is, this seller seemed to be the only one who had an option for making the high beam HID as well. The others I've checked with only offer HID low beam and H4 high beam. I understand it in traffic, but not in my rural nighttime situation. I guess patience is a virtue. :cool:

Way
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Back on Topic:

I know the stock dimensions and I know I want handlebars with a rise of 6", a width of 30" and a pullback of 11". I've searched but I can't seem to find a site where I can just plug in the dimensions and get a listing of handlebars that match. Does such a site exist? Kind of a pain to go to JC
Whitney and try to click through all the options. But if I must... O_o

Water Warrior 2
07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
sideroadcycles.com has a chart with dimensions. Have a go at it.

Way
07-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks WW. I didn't see a chart there, at least for the replacement bars. I already know my stock dimensions though. I was thinking since I know what measurements I want to get, it would be nice to find a handlebar search tool, where I could plug in the dimensions I want to get and see what types of bars are available with those measurements. The way it seems to be now is that I have to look at every single type to see what the dimensions are which is pretty tedious. I'll have to hold off on this anyway I guess till I get more time. :popcorn:

Way
07-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I rotated my bars today, about an inch or so lower. I just had to adjust my mirrors and my windshield, no problems either way. Cable length was not an issue nor do I see it being one if a person is only rotating the bars. Tank clearance was not an issue either. While I still would like them wider, overall this is a very easy way to get a more comfortable ride.