PDA

View Full Version : Shake down ride!

tsmall
09-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Well the Baron rode GREAT! The external performance mods I found on this site and some great ideas from other members helped me make a bike that I wanted. Glad I remembered to torque everything that needed it LOL! To do list includes finishing the trimming little parts of metal I don’t need, drill and tap the muffler support, add a cross brace to mount my tool kit, mount the chrome battery cover, polish, bodywork and paint. But it LIVES!!!! :biggrin:

tsmall
09-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Damn, I forgot the horn. And a question. I remember reading here that Rotella 15W40 is good on these engines and clutches. I got it by the gallon for the Dodge. Is it cool to run it in my bike too? Thanks again to all yall for the inspiration and help!

blaine
09-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I remember reading here that Rotella 15W40 is good on these engines and clutches. I got it by the gallon for the Dodge. Is it cool to run it in my bike too? Thanks again to all yall for the inspiration and help!
Yep.That what I use in all my bikes.It is safe for wet clutch. :cool: :)

tsmall
09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks Blaine! Filter and oil tomorrow tomorrow......and then more riding!!!!!

Water Warrior 2
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Looks good. The flat bars and risers do a lot for the bike.

A big + for the Rotella. That is all I put in the 2 bikes and my Ranger. It is JASO certified so is good for wet clutch applications

tsmall
09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Thank WW. It passed the dodge the pothole test today. Takes a lot more steering input for the counter steer, but once I got used to it, no problem. As far as the shorty back shocks, it took a pop to rear brake to set the suspension, but it was as steady as a stock set up after getting used to it. And I’ll be damned if I spent most time in forth gear forth the 16T sprocket and it still pulled some steep hills. I’m going to jack the mid-range needle one more spacer and go to a 140 main (132.5 now) and see what it’ll do on the freeway. Top speed today was 60-65 mph (95-105 kph). And I weight 150 lbs (68 kg)!

PimpS
09-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Way to go tsmall! Mean Baron eatin' away the road! Damn good straight bar! Winter ahead will be a challenge to make bars flat! :)

Water Warrior 2
09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Straighter shorter bars will require more steering input(muscle) and a lowered rear end will change the steering geometry which will mean more steering input also. The lowered rear of the bike means the bike won't be quite as flickable when dodging pot holes but you will learn to adjust or keep hitting holes.

PimpS
09-04-2012, 02:15 AM
SO if I understand correctly: having straight bars is making driving harder? I sure dig those straight bars, i prosume you have better control with it or am i wrong?

Water Warrior 2
09-04-2012, 06:26 AM
SO if I understand correctly: having straight bars is making driving harder? I sure dig those straight bars, i prosume you have better control with it or am i wrong?
The straight bars are not as wide and require more effort to turn. You have the same amount of control but will need a little more effort in slow manuevering. After a few more hours of saddle time you will be very happy and not remember the bike when it was in OEM configuration.

jonathan180iq
09-04-2012, 08:29 AM
It's just all about leverage, really. You don't even think about it because it's second nature when riding, but wider bars are easier to turn. They give the impression that the front of the bike is lighter than it really is. With a shorter handlebar, you have to actually pull and put some effort into going left or right.

The last bike I had came with really wide bars and I could pilot that thing with my fingertips. It was pretty nice.