PDA

View Full Version : Repositioning shocks

Goose51683
05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Hey guys, I have been thinking about replacing my two rear shocks with on beefier shock that is located under the seat and mounts just ahead of the wheel. I've already removed the rear fender and have repositioned some of the fuse boxes etc under the seat. I think a shock could fit but I am unsure of what size shock would work for this. I know the length I would most likely need but I've never replaced a shock and I'm not sure if their is a weight requirement I would need to fulfill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jonathan180iq
05-15-2013, 03:37 PM
So you're wanting to go to central mono-shock, similar to most sportbikes?

I would voice a little concern over this. The frames dynamics and geometry of the bike is kind of already taken into account with the traditional setup. Stress points, for example, are beefed up based on the stock location of the rear shocks. I don't even know if it would function properly on this bike.

I know people have upgraded their rear shocks and some people have converted over to hard tail or even dropped the rear end, but I don't think anyone has done this.

Do you have any mounting points in mind?

Water Warrior 2
05-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I have serious doubts about a monoshock set up. The frame and swing arm were designed for 2 outboard shocks. You are talking some serious engineering here to accomplish the project.

Goose51683
05-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys, it was just an idea I was playing with, haven't done much research into it yet. Maybe I'll hold off on this one. I still think it would be doable but I'm sure I would need to add some extra frame reinforcement.

jonathan180iq
05-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I can't envision where you would mount this....

You'd need to design some dog-bones or something in order to get this mono-shock to function properly.

I did all kinds of work on my old Ninja 250 working on ride height and finding a good spring rate for me... I'm actually very pleased that the GZ had two basic loadable rear shocks. Like is so much easier like that ;)

Goose51683
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
How about this Jonathan. what if you took the top connection points for your shocks and remounted those together in a more central location under the seat. You would have to weld in some connection points. Again, just thinking outside of the box. It might be of note that I already went towards a bobber style where I'd gutted the interior behind the engine. All I have is the battery mounted just behind the motor. the rest is open at this point.

jonathan180iq
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I was looking at your photos and I see what you're saying. But our swing-arms only have one pivot point and there isn't a lot of room in front of the rear tire to add a mount for the base of the proposed monoshock.

You could possibly weld some mounts to the bottom side of each swing arm side and then custom build some dog bones and come through the bottom of the old battery tray and then make some sort of bracket for the top shock mount, but I think it's a lot of work for something that is only going to result in unproven suspension characteristics and might not even work. I mean, if your welds aren't perfect or the alignment isn't right, it's just going to fuck up the ride.

I'm all for thinking outside the box. But I also don't want you to follow an idea down some endless rabbit hole to Nowheresville.

Goose51683
05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Have you ever seen or heard of anyone extending the frame to the rear axle.

jonathan180iq
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Not on these bikes. We've had several good modders come through the site and show off their stuff, but nothing as extreme as a frame extension.

Goose51683
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Well I'm in the unique position that my wife will probably never give in enough for me to get another bike so every crazy idea I have will be tested out on a GZ250!

jonathan180iq
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Try riding hard tail first, if you want to try something different. You can make your own hard struts of varying lengths and play around with different ride heights and stuff too.

Mosey on through the project section, pardner. You'll like you see in there.

I would just tear down the stock shocks or replace them with something a little more flashy, or just paint them of something.

Water Warrior 2
05-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Try riding hard tail first, if you want to try something different. You can make your own hard struts of varying lengths and play around with different ride heights and stuff too.

Mosey on through the project section, pardner. You'll like you see in there.

I would just tear down the stock shocks or replace them with something a little more flashy, or just paint them of something.

Yup, all reversible options.

Goose51683
05-23-2013, 07:15 AM
I do want to at least paint them but painting over chrome is something I have not done before so I'm a little iffy about it.

Anyone here painted any chrome parts?

alantf
05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
When my chrome crash bars got rusted, I sanded them down, applied some of that stuff that turns rust black and solid, then a rattle can of good primer/undercoat and a rattle can of black, and they've been fine for the last couple of years.

Goose51683
05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Alantf,

And they look fine? I don't think I've ever spray painted anything that hasn't turned out looking horrible. It probaby has more to do with my technique than anything.

alantf
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
[attachment=0:33tccein]b42.jpg[/attachment:33tccein]Light sprays, leave to dry, then continue doing this until you've built up a solid coat. This'll stop runs and uneven build up.

Goose51683
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks Alan. Those bars look really good. I've got several chrome parts that I want blacked out so maybe I'll try this soon. I'd like to paint the shocks. Springs might be a challenge but the actual shock shouldn't be to hard.

Rookie Rider
05-28-2013, 12:47 AM
I painted my shocks red to match the color of my gz. Came out perfect, no dripps at all. I used a spray can.

Goose51683
05-28-2013, 07:12 AM
I just added some black nearly straight bars and I'll be adding some black exhaust wrap this weekend so the chrome parts are starting to look out of place. Its only a matter of time before I start painting some of it.

alantf
05-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Preparation of the chrome (before painting) is the key. Every imperfection will show through the paint if you don't. :)

Goose51683
05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
does the surface just need roughed up or d you need to get thru the chrome

alantf
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
No, just smooth it down, but before you paint it, clean the surface with whatever thinners/cleaner the paint manufacturer recommends. If they don't mention it use white spirit/turps.

Goose51683
05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks again.