PDA

View Full Version : Cafe?

Jaime
01-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi! This is my bike after some mods. Kinda "cafe racer" style, maybe. More pics here (http://www.bikepics.com/members/jaimeq/06gz250/).

http://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2007/12/29/bikepics-1130513-800.jpg

Here's what I've changed: Cafe racer handlebar + modded risers[/*:m:9772pk7m] Small windshield[/*:m:9772pk7m] New black 34.5 cm rear shocks[/*:m:9772pk7m] Black rear-mirrors[/*:m:9772pk7m] Smaller turn signals[/*:m:9772pk7m] Luggage rack[/*:m:9772pk7m] Cut out front fender, matt black[/*:m:9772pk7m] Front fork lowered, precharged and painted black[/*:m:9772pk7m] Air filter mod + new carb jets/adjustments[/*:m:9772pk7m] 16T sprocket[/*:m:9772pk7m] Other minor details...[/*:m:9772pk7m]

Hope you like it.

jonathan180iq
01-02-2008, 11:27 AM
that's pretty Jaime. I don't personally care for that style handlebar, but everything else looks good.

Did you look into getting clip-ons instead of regular bars? I think that would really make the bike look sharp.

Also, what headlight fairing is that? I was looking for a small fairing a while ago before I decided on a full windscreen.

Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Any shots of you on the bike, for seat/fit comparison?

Water Warrior 2
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Looks good.

Jaime
01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Did you look into getting clip-ons instead of regular bars? I think that would really make the bike look sharp.

Yes, I payed for clip-on bars, but they were sold out and I had to put up with a regular cafe bar. Sure it would be sharper, without that risers.

Also, what headlight fairing is that? I was looking for a small fairing a while ago before I decided on a full windscreen.

It's made in Spain, although I bought it in Germany... The brand name is Puig, they make accessories for motorcycles. It's the "Puig Wave" model, smoked (there were clear and carbon look, too).

EDIT: Any shots of you on the bike, for seat/fit comparison?

I'll try to make some photographs soon. Anyway, the rider position isn't as unnatural as I expected...

jonathan180iq
01-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I look forward to seeing it.

Where in Spain are you located? My wife and I planning a vacation this summer and Spain is one of our desired destinations.
We're also looking at Italy or I may take her to Yellowstone, but I digress.

Jaime
01-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I look forward to seeing it.

Where in Spain are you located? My wife and I planning a vacation this summer and Spain is one of our desired destinations.
We're also looking at Italy or I may take her to Yellowstone, but I digress.

I live next to Madrid (main city), nearly in the middle of the Peninsula. You'll have great climate in summer wherever you go, except in the northern coast (it sometimes rains, ruining your beach day).
Depending on which kind of tourism do you like, there are many different locations to visit, so tell me. For example, If you want beach, east or south coast will be fine. If you want history, you can visit a lot of province's capital and other villages.
Anyway, I'll recomend a tour watching Madrid, Barcelona (second main city), some beach and go on, trying to avoid tourist-oriented cities (overcrowded, expensive and mediocre food; although many things are written in your language there :lol:). Also, there are beautiful isles to visit...

If you come to Madrid, you can visit a spanish GZ250 too. :)

jonathan180iq
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Eso si me gustaria.

Mi esposa es de Monterrey, MX. y la diferencia de linguajes no es un gran problema.

Si decidimos ir nos a Espana, te mandare una mensaje.

Gracias,
Jonathan

mcintyre_aerospace
01-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Hey Jaime, i like the work you did on the front fender, sharp. Is this the stock fender that you cut, how did you do it. Mines got a crack in the front and the front is covered in scratches, so I'm planning on modding it and doing a whole custom paint, so any pointers would help. Anyways looks really good, i would rather have higher bars though, i dont like to lean forward. The headlight visor looks really good, looks mean.

Jaime
01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I got a broken blue fender:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk1.jpg

I repaired it with special glue and repairing paste for plastic, and marked the cutting lines; plastic surgery style.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk3.jpg

Once cut out with an electric saw like this one and using heavy sandpaper to make the borders smooth...
http://www.casaperezonline.com/images/vc500_2_thumb%20sierra%20calar.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk4.jpg

...I relocated the holes about 3/4" higher, to reduce the clearance fender-tyre.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk5.jpg

I only used light sandpaper to remove the older coating, no primer. Then, I painted it matt-black with a regular bodywork spray.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk7.jpg

Also, the front fork has been painted with the same spray.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk12.jpg

Notice that the front side is longer than the rear, although the fender is reversible now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/hellcracker/gb/gbk11.jpg

jonathan180iq
01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Lowering the fender to reduce clearence is a good idea.

Some lady in her SUV backed into my bike and really cracked the front of my fender off. I cut off the damaged area and it's fuctional, but I think it's ugly. I might modify your style and make something different.

If I do, I'll post it here.

mcintyre_aerospace
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm really impressed, I new that I was going to modify the fender, but didn't know how to, this will really help. I'm planing on moding the front and rear fenders, and custom painting the entire bike with an airbrush. I'm thinking all flat black with blue silver flames with a little pearl. I think ill copy some of the guys on here, they have some great ideas about the rear fender, and your front one looks really good, I may try for a little more pointy, or whatever you wanna call it, It may take me a month or so, But ill post all the pics for what I do. I may also try higher handlebars, cause i like to lean back a little when I ride, ill see what it looks like, if it doesn't look good ill try lower sportier bars, and maybe different mirrors, ours look really bulky.

jonathan180iq
01-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Since these are screw in mirrors, any generic sport mirrors should work. Also, I think bar-end mirrors look pretty sharp.

Aussie_Al1
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Just a ponderence for all after seeing these pictures, I have a series of small although deep scratches on the front tip of my front fender also. After cutting and finishing with sand paper of various coursness is the edge finish obvious or just as good as original???

Al'

P.S are there any "front lip" decorative trims available for a GZ250 (like Harley's)

Jaime
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Just a ponderence for all after seeing these pictures, I have a series of small although deep scratches on the front tip of my front fender also. After cutting and finishing with sand paper of various coursness is the edge finish obvious or just as good as original???

Al'

P.S are there any "front lip" decorative trims available for a GZ250 (like Harley's)

You can get the edge perfectly smooth (it's just about time), although the stock fender has a double edge hard to imitate. You can also buy a decorative chrom-looking trim at car modding shops.

mcintyre_aerospace
01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, the tank I wanted off of eba ended up going for allmost $100, thats 1/6th of the total ive spent on my bike, so Im stuck on fixing my bike for a little longer. Ill find one eventually, so any heads up will help.

CMS
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Jamie , is the rack homemade or did you purchase it ? If puchased where at? I like the rack, anrd the whole bike for that matter. CMS :tup:

Jaime
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
The rack costs around 90$ and it's made here in Spain, a bit far away from Ohio, hehe.
I could send you one of them if you pay the expensive shipping costs. ;)

trykemike
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
can the front fender be removed without removing the front wheel. the manual is not clear on this ?

jonathan180iq
02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah man,

There are just 4 little bolts, two on each side, that mount the fender to the front forks.

I can't remember if they are 10mm or 12mm but you'll just need a wrench and some patience, as you can't rotate the wrench very far without having to realign it and continue loosening the bolts. Once the bolts come off, the fender just slides up and out over the wheel. If you have skinny hands, you can finger the bolts out, once you get them loosened.

trykemike
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Johnathan I bought a front fender ornament and since the bike is in the shed which is buried by 20 inches of snow I thought I would ask.

mcintyre_aerospace
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Quick heads up, On the side of the bike with the clutch, aka the left side, Their is a brake hose support that uses the same bolts as the fender, might want to put the bolts back in so it doesnt drag on the tire.

jonathan180iq
02-14-2008, 08:25 AM
What year is your bike?

On my 2006, the brake line support bolt is separate from the inner fender bolts.

Jaime
02-14-2008, 09:02 AM
What year is your bike?

On my 2006, the brake line support bolt is separate from the inner fender bolts.

It's a 2006 too. The lower support is a metal bracket attached to the fender bolts. Seems that there are minor differences between different countries bikes, mine equiped a couple of stone-hard "Sava" tyres, aswell (now Metzeler Lasertec).

mcintyre_aerospace
02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Mines an older 2000, so it could be pretty different.

Headflex
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Why didn't you just get a sports bike instead? :whistle:

alantf
02-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey Jaime,
I live in Tenerife, so I'm using Spanish Add-ons. I use SPAAN bits & pieces. You'll find them at :- Tecnoimport S.L., C/ Tajo Nº3, 28840 Mejorada Del Campo, Madrid.
You can pick their catalogue up from the internet. Mine got here a few days after I sent for it, & the bike shops can get hold of the stuff very easily.
I think you'll find that the Spanish spec. (which, strangely enough, is the same as the Canadian spec.) is slightly different than the American spec. that everyone talks about in this forum. I think the engine runs a bit richer & the top end is better. I don't know about you (& also water warrior, in Canada) but I never have to use the choke, & I've just checked the spark plug after 10,000 km, & it's still in perfect condition.
If you have an "Al Campo" supermarket in Madrid, you could try some of their own brand fuel additive in the tank. (only 4,54 euros). Made a world of difference to mine.

Water Warrior 2
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
The GZ still has to be choked to start here. Remember this is The Great White North after all. There are exceptions of course. If the bike is parked outside in the sunshine on a hot day it is probably half way to full operating temp and no choke is needed. It is possible the Canadian bike runs a touch richer than the U.S. bike but I doubt there would be any real world difference in noticeable performance.

alantf
02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
If the bike is parked outside in the sunshine on a hot day it is probably half way to full operating temp and no choke is needed.

Over here the temp. goes down to around 10ºC/50ºF, &, again, I NEVER need the choke. Checking the plug etc. shows no sign whatsoever of the bike running rich after normal running. Has anyone any ideas why my bike appears to be the only one ever to leave the factory, that doesn't need choke, yet rides great?

alanmcorcoran
02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Maybe less US emissions BS on your model?

Easy Rider
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Has anyone any ideas why my bike appears to be the only one ever to leave the factory, that doesn't need choke, yet rides great?

Pretty easy really. If you look at the shop manual, you will see that all the jetting is a tad bit richer for European models. Some folks over here have made the changes to the "European" specs. and are quite happy with the result. Slightly better performance and slightly less economy. I suspect that all those around you are much less "fussy" than ours on this side of the pond.

rideit
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
has anyone else tried to get a puig wave windscreen, l can't find one anywhere

Easy Rider
04-12-2009, 06:23 PM

If I had the slightest clue as to what it IS, I might want one!

P.S. Not that it makes a lot of difference but why would you think THAT fits under this topic ??

rideit
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM
thats not an answer

Easy Rider
04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
thats not an answer

Give it a rest.

OK, let's rephrase:

NO, I haven't looked for one becaue I don't know what it IS.
Is that better (not that I really care)?
Does that somehow convey the information better than my first response?

New question:
That inquiry would seem to be off topic for this thread. Why did you put it HERE?

patrick_777
04-12-2009, 06:37 PM

If I had the slightest clue as to what it IS, I might want one!

P.S. Not that it makes a lot of difference but why would you think THAT fits under this topic ??

Look at the very first post. Although it doesn't seem very functional, it is very cool-looking on a cafe-ed out GZ.

patrick_777
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Here's one overseas called the Puig Raptor: http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/68905/271 ... 11549.html (http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/68905/2714726566610811549.html)

Search the net on universally mounted flyscreens. They're generally not model specific, so some custom modification might be necessary for the GZ.

rideit
04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
if anyone wants that cafe style screen,l found it at national cycles,
they call it the F-18,Later

emory70
07-29-2010, 07:23 PM
i found a site a couple of years ago that has an amazing selection of fairings, body kits, windscreens, etc for almost every motorcycle made. airtech-streamlining.com

nothing for the gz in particular, but many of their products can be modified to suit.

usmarinedelta
02-04-2011, 07:56 AM
How did you make a template for the fender cutting, did you just eye it and decide to cut it?