PDA

View Full Version : web link to accessories

trykemike
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/ ... hrome.aspx (http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/catalogs/products/17/97/216/1/0/0/4/10/74/564/0/billet-chrome.aspx)

finallyinthesaddle
07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/catalogs/products/17/97/216/1/0/0/4/10/74/564/0/billet-chrome.aspx

Has anyone here ordered anything from this website?? Specifically I'm thinking of a National Cycle Plexistar 2 Windshield and these guys are a lot cheaper than the National Cycle website. While that excites me, it also makes me a little nervous. I found a different site that had the windshield for as little as $107!! Again... very scared.... must... not... make.... hasty...decision. :roll:

Easy Rider
07-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Again... very scared.... must... not... make.... hasty...decision. :roll:

Just watch out for excessive shipping charges. Some places lo-ball the price and then stick it to you with outrageous shipping that only shows up at the very end of the ordering process.

Is that a large shield? If so, I might have a better suggestion.......but it's not cheap.

finallyinthesaddle
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Just watch out for excessive shipping charges. Some places lo-ball the price and then stick it to you with outrageous shipping that only shows up at the very end of the ordering process.

Is that a large shield? If so, I might have a better suggestion.......but it's not cheap.

It's a pretty large sheild, yes. It's the same one that BadBob has on his GZ. What's your suggestion (even though I'm frightened by the 'it's not cheap' comment)?

Easy Rider
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
It's a pretty large sheild, yes. It's the same one that BadBob has on his GZ. What's your suggestion (even though I'm frightened by the 'it's not cheap' comment)?

I've got a Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz. I think it is a bit taller and not quite as wide as Bob's but similar in coverage.
I think list price is ~ $180. It was tricky to get mounted but worth the hassle, I think. Any large shield like that will mount MUCH easier if you have (at least) one other person to help hold it in place during installation.

Hard to get really good pic's of a clear shield.

http://www.postimage.org/aV1Wz9Pr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1Wz9Pr)

http://www.postimage.org/gx2p4WK0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx2p4WK0)

finallyinthesaddle
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I've got a Memphis Shades, Santa Cruz. I think it is a bit taller and not quite as wide as Bob's but similar in coverage.
I think list price is ~ $180. It was tricky to get mounted but worth the hassle, I think. Any large shield like that will mount MUCH easier if you have (at least) one other person to help hold it in place during installation.

Hard to get really good pic's of a clear shield.

Your bike looks really good. :2tup: So does the shield; it looks like it would cut the wind really well. I'm keeping my eye on ebay. I've thought about slipstreamer shields, but I'm not sure I like the fact that their mounting hardware fastens through the shield (at least I think it does based on the photos I've seen)[/quote]

Easy Rider
07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
but I'm not sure I like the fact that their mounting hardware fastens through the shield (at least I think it does based on the photos I've seen)

News Flash: They ALL are like that......as far as I know. :cool:

Sarris
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Those mounts on Easy's windshield are alot smaller, much better looking, and less obvious than most. The medium size windshield on my GZ (police style) has a large chrome facing with a bunch of screws thru the windshield, but mount to the fork tubes without the mounting rods.

The mounting rod style is easier to mount and a heckuva lot cheaper than the police style mounts like mine.

Easy is right, you gotta hold them up somehow. They don't just float in space.

:tup:

mrlmd1
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a Slipsteamer shield on my bike similar to the picture posted and the Plextar 2, covering the grips blocking the wind and debris from hitting your hands. The nice thing about these shields is that they have a 4 point mount rather than 2 points, so they vibrate or buffet a lot less and are more securely mounted than just a smaller windscreen covering only your chest and face. I don't even notice the mounting hardware when I'm riding.
They're a little difficult to get on with just on person trying to hold and adjust everything, it would be easier with two people but it only takes 15-20min solo.
The mounting hardware screws through good rubber grommets through the screen and most shields are like that.

finallyinthesaddle
07-10-2008, 07:13 AM
I have a Slipsteamer shield on my bike similar to the picture posted and the Plextar 2, covering the grips blocking the wind and debris from hitting your hands. The nice thing about these shields is that they have a 4 point mount rather than 2 points, so they vibrate or buffet a lot less and are more securely mounted than just a smaller windscreen covering only your chest and face. I don't even notice the mounting hardware when I'm riding.
They're a little difficult to get on with just on person trying to hold and adjust everything, it would be easier with two people but it only takes 15-20min solo.
The mounting hardware screws through good rubber grommets through the screen and most shields are like that.

What model of slipstreamer do you have?? I had been considering the "Original" or the "Enterprise models.

finallyinthesaddle
07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
but I'm not sure I like the fact that their mounting hardware fastens through the shield (at least I think it does based on the photos I've seen)

News Flash: They ALL are like that......as far as I know. :cool:

Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it. I don't know, though... I'm pretty new to this whole thing. If you guys say that mounts that go through the sheild don't cause problems with the shield cracking or anything, I won't worry about it so much.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it.

What exactly makes you think that?
Have you actually SEEN one?
How would you get a solid, RELIABLE mount without something going through the shield?

I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding ;) and they all had the mounts staked through the shield in one manner or another.

finallyinthesaddle
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Actually, that is why I sort of wanted to go with the National Cycle. Their mounts don't go through the shield, they just attach to it.

What exactly makes you think that?
Have you actually SEEN one?
How would you get a solid, RELIABLE mount without something going through the shield?

I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding ;) and they all had the mounts staked through the shield in one manner or another.

There is a picture here----->http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/catalogs/viewproductlargeimage/17/95/214/7153/1/0/0/4/10/74/564/0/0/0/500/plexistar-2.aspx Sorry, I don't know how to shorten it.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
There is a picture here

No problem with the long URL; at least it worked.
So, you are assuming those two mounting points are what......glued to the shield ??
Experience leads me to assume that is not the case and something behind that fancy looking mount goes through the plastic.

Maybe someone who has one, or who has actually seen one, can say for sure.

Sarris
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I guess it's possible but I've seen a lot of shields in my 100 or so years of riding ;).

Yeah, yeah, I saw you on the road while I was riding my Rockcycle with Fred Flintstone about a million years ago.

LOL
Sarris

:neener:

finallyinthesaddle
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
No problem with the long URL; at least it worked.
So, you are assuming those two mounting points are what......glued to the shield ??
Experience leads me to assume that is not the case and something behind that fancy looking mount goes through the plastic.

Maybe someone who has one, or who has actually seen one, can say for sure.

Hopefully BadBob will weigh in, as he has one. I'm not sure how they're fastened to the sheild, but the National Cycle website says " National Cycle found that ordinary drill mounting methods caused stress cracks and eventual breakage of acrylic shields. That's why we developed and use our patented No-Hole Ballsocket system on all of our acrylic products." (Taken from National Cycle's website under the description of the Plexistar 2 for the GZ250)

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
National Cycle found that ordinary drill mounting methods caused stress cracks and eventual breakage of acrylic shields. That's why we developed and use our patented No-Hole Ballsocket system on all of our acrylic products.[/b]" (Taken from National Cycle's website under the description of the Plexistar 2 for the GZ250)

Well Geezz, why didn't you say that in the first place ?? :)

And the other guys sales borchure says: (something like....) No glued on mount points that will eventually break loose. Our shields come with (some contrived name for) bolts through the acrylic shield with rubber grommets. :lol:

Let the buyer beware! :tup:

Moedad
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
I think list price is ~ $180.

Easy, which model Santa Cruz did you get? I don't see a listing for the GZ250 on their website, just the bigger Marauders. Did you need to move the turn indicators or anything?

finallyinthesaddle
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Well Geezz, why didn't you say that in the first place ?? :)

And the other guys sales borchure says: (something like....) No glued on mount points that will eventually break loose. Our shields come with (some contrived name for) bolts through the acrylic shield with rubber grommets. :lol:

Let the buyer beware! :tup:

Yeah, I know. :??: That's why I'm having such trouble making a decision, and was hoping you all could shed some light on the choices.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Easy, which model Santa Cruz did you get? I don't see a listing for the GZ250 on their website, just the bigger Marauders. Did you need to move the turn indicators or anything?

Well get used to NOT seeing the GZ listed for any type of accessories. You just have to take a chance sometimes.....or come here for EXCELLENT advice !! ;)

I didn't realize there were different ones; maybe slightly different mounts. If so, I got the "universal" one.
I didn't really have to move anything........except to put the bars back where they started out. I had pulled them back and down a bit and the shield fit a LOT better with them back (near) the factory setting.
It was just a BIG pain in the butt doing it alone; tighten one bolt and others slip out of position.

The lowers bang the tank at full turn. I stuck a small rubber bumper on each side......a small piece of weather stripping actually.

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I know. :??: That's why I'm having such trouble making a decision, and was hoping you all could shed some light on the choices.

Both companies are good. I suspect either mounting method would be fine. I have had 10 year old shields with hole/grommet mounts that were still OK.

If you get brake fluid anywhere NEAR a plastic shield, all bets are off. It will fog, warp and crack. Don't ask how I know that. :cry: