PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust instillation

Aussie_Al1
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm just about to put on a band-spanking-new OEM exhaust system on my bike. I know its just a straight swap, BUT, will anything bite me with this change over, that might be good pointers for a for new players??

Al.

bhppy101
01-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Hey Al,

It should be a pretty straight forward swap....just remember to loosly put ALL the nuts and bolts on before tightening them. I change exhausts all the time on my bikes and I sometimes forget to put the frame bracket bolts on and tighten the head bolts.......Then I cant even budge the exhaust to mount it to the rear frame.

Water Warrior 2
01-20-2008, 11:43 PM
bhppy101, would it be advisable to use locktite on the hardware ??

bhppy101
01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Locktite shouldnt be neccessary

Aussie_Al1
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks All

We're actually in summer here ATM (so weve had 6 weeks of rain, TYPICAL) every couple of days ive been hitting the nuts and bolts with a penetrant/lubricant so everything is lovelly and lose and ready to go. I'll go nice and slow and tighten everything slowly, thanks for the tips.

Al'

jonathan180iq
01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Be careful with the metallic exhaust washer/spacer that you'll find on the pipe between the headers and the muffler. If your exhaust system is old, that washer will be burned onto the exhaust pipe and you'll have to replace it.

If you can, when placing on the new one, use some lubricant and make sure that you don't rip it. Doing so will not crate a solid seal and you'll always be having some of the exhaust fumes leaking out of the system.

Aussie_Al1
01-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks, all comments taken on board :2tup:

I'll post a pic' when shes done :cool:

Al'