PDA

View Full Version : silly question?

badfun
03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Say I want to take my GZ down and wash it via pressure spray car wash is there anything I should know before I do so?

Water Warrior 2
03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
No such thing as a silly question. High pressure sprays can be a bad thing unless you wash with a little restraint. Do not direct the water at any electrical parts if possible. Yah, sounds like you will have half a clean bike. Do not wash the chain. The pressure will wash the lube out of the O-rings.
A soft spray from a few feet back is what I generally will do with the whole bike. Ride it home and do a chain clean up and lube. Quick tip I picked up. Get a black film container and cut the top lip off with scissors, it is easy. It will fit over the ignition switch and keep it dry.
I am sure others will chime in with do's and don'ts learned the hard way. Have fun.

Easy Rider
03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Say I want to take my GZ down and wash it via pressure spray car wash is there anything I should know before I do so?

Keep the nozzle FAR away from the bike.........except maybe for the fender wells and tires.
Stay away from the instrument cluster and handle bar switches, etc. altogether.

Do not try to "pressure wash" accumulated grease off of the chain. :cry:
It will spatter it all over everything and you will have a REAL mess to deal with. :mad:

badfun
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Brilliant! thanks for the reply so quick, I knew there had to be some life lessons that I wish to skip if at all possible :) should I let it cool for a while just in case?

Easy Rider
03-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Brilliant! thanks for the reply so quick, I knew there had to be some life lessons that I wish to skip if at all possible :) should I let it cool for a while just in case?

Life lesson......well, you guessed that one right! :neener:

Yes, it is NOT good to put water directly on a HOT engine or pipes. :tup: