PDA

View Full Version : My First Mod for the New Year

Easy Rider
04-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Will be to UNDO one from last year.

Last year I drilled the back plate on the muffler. Did it late in the year and didn't notice too much difference. WELL......the first couple of rides this spring I noticed a plusating sound at one intermediate RPM range (in all gears). Then I noticed that it rumbles at cruising speed. Both things are very annoying.

Out comes that tap set and the stainless steel bolts. It's back to stock for me.

Looks like the only permanent change I will have is the 16T front sprocket (unless you count the windshield).

rayzuki
04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I was waiting for this before I went and drilled holes in mine. Wasn't sure how it would sound. I won't be doing it after all.

jonathan180iq
04-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Probably sounds like a muffler with holes in it.... :)

I made the mistake of punching the baffles once. I'll never do it again and I adivse everyone in hearshot to heed to warning.
It really sounds cheap. If you get the urge for more sounds at least buy a slip-on muffler and do it right.

Easy Rider
04-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Probably sounds like a muffler with holes in it.... :)

Ya think ?? :lol: :cry: :blush: :neener:

trykemike
04-08-2008, 12:05 PM
I just drilled 4 7/32 holes inside the ring 1 inch from centre exhaust outlet equally spaced. My valve clearances are near the top of spec exhaust .004 and intake .0025.

I noticed a little glasspack type sound when down shifting and letting off the gas. Overall a little more sound but different.

The engine seems to rev more freely. I have a tach and have to watch or 8000 rpms comes very fast now.

I need more time before the final verdict.

Sounds more sporty now.

Idle approx 1500 rpm.

jonathan180iq
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Can you be the guy to post a photo so people will stop requesting them and I can have a place to refer them?