PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on clear turn lenses

jonathan180iq
04-08-2008, 04:27 PM
I usually don't get into this stuff but after putting the cafe fairing on, I'm on a roll.

For $23, you can't beat this deal. The price is for a set of 4. You can't find those anywhere else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-S ... enameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Savage-650-Intruder-800-1400-1500-CLEAR-LENSES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35598QQihZ011QQi temZ320236679992QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Enjoy.

Easy Rider
04-08-2008, 07:16 PM
What IS the facination with clear turn signal lenses ?? :??:

I just DON'T get it.

jonathan180iq
04-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't call it a fascination. It's just a cheap way to have something to piddle with.

That being said, I was thinking more lastnight and I think the money would be better spent on something like these:

http://www.postimage.org/aV1cgHkA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1cgHkA)

Lower energy consumption and they emit light over the entire surface area of the turn signal lense. Plus, they are supposed to last for 10,000 hours.

Easy Rider
04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Lower energy consumption and they emit light over the entire surface area of the turn signal lense. Plus, they are supposed to last for 10,000 hours.

That would seem to accomplish something useful....rather than just cosmetic.
The energy savings may disappear, however, if you find that you must add a bridged resistor to keep the flashing rate down.
In generel, when you change to LED's they will flash VERY fast because the standard flasher "thinks" the lamp is burned out.
They make electronic flashers to get around that problem but don't know if they have one to fit the GZ or not.

I have been thinking about adding some additional red LED stop lights. Just thinking so far. I want something that is BRIGHT but relatively small to put over/under/beside the original stop/tail light.

jonathan180iq
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
That's a good point on the flashers. I didn't think about that.

I need a small LED strip to fit into the red plactic lining that wraps around the rear of my luggage box. I may wire those into the brake lines or let them burn full time for added rear end visibility. Looking for those has gotten me into looking for other lighting options all over the bike.

As always, I'll add photos and links if I find something that I like and that works well on the bike.

Water Warrior 2
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Check out Signal Dynamics and Autolumination.com for lighting options.

Badbob
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
GZ250s have electronic flashers. Someone just needs to spend the money and try LEDs.
I guess I'm going to have to do it. :)

rbert16000
05-13-2008, 04:11 PM
'GZ250s have electronic flashers. Someone just needs to spend the money and try LEDs.
I guess I'm going to have to do it."

Bad Bob, How did your test come out on the LED lights?

jonathan180iq
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
He just posted this and I don't think it's been done yet.

That being said, I'm trying to beat DastardlyBob to the punch :cool: . I actually have some liquid cash this month and the LEDs that you see above from Cleanalternatives are in the basket and are waiting until Friday. I'm pretty excited.
I'm also getting some standard automotive 1156s for the rear. I'm looking an LED board that will fit in the tail light housing. Anyone have any ideas?

I've found them for the Volusia, Intruder & Boulevard but nothing for our little tail light.

I'll keep you posted.

jonathan180iq
05-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I've been doing a little more research on this and I'm not quite satisfied with anything that I've seen regarding LED 1157 & 1156 replacements from Webbikeworld.

See a bunch of reviews starting here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcyc ... nals-2.htm (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-led-light/motorcycle-led-turn-signals-2.htm)

I may not be doing this afterall. The LED boards from Clear Alternatives only come in replacements for the front turn signals.

I'm not changing these things out if they produce LESS light than the 'ol standard bulbs. Saving a few watts of energy isn't worth getting rear ended.

Bob, if you are still on this, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the subject.

As of now, my list of fun things for the weekend has been reduced to bar-end mirrors. Boo.

Badbob
05-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I've been thinking about trying them but I'm not willing to spend $100 to do it. There are not many options that will fit a GZ250 because of the side ways mounted lights. LEDs are very directional. Incandescent bulbs are not.

One 3 watt Luxeon LED puts out more light than an 1156 or 1157.

Incandescent bulbs have slow reaction times because the filament has to heat up and that takes time. If you pay attention you can see it happen. LEDs are practically instant on with no fade in fade out effect. LEDs begin emitting light as soon as the voltage is applied. This may do something negate a lack of brightness.

I really don't trust the web bike world LED reviews very much some of them are getting pretty old and their testing methods are some what limited and very subjective. However, they are right about one thing. LEDs have a long way to go before they are ready for prime time.

Not many if any of the LED replacements for 1156/57 bulbs are DOT approved. Technically its illegal to use them on a US highway if they are not DOT approved. Perhaps the best thing to do is to wait until DOT approved LED replacements are hanging on the rack at AutoZone.

Water Warrior 2
05-15-2008, 04:26 AM
I tried LEDs in the Strom and tossed them out. Too directional for signals and not as bright as promised. Tail/brake light was not near good enough in my opinion. Back to standard bulbs for me. What the Strom has that actually works is an extra tail/brake light that was built with LEDs. It is actually a 3 3/4 inch trailer light that replaces the license plate light and has white LEDs for the plate. Hope that makes sense. Works very well and is noticeable from behind.
I think adding LEDs to a housing designed for a regular bulb is going to be a hit or miss gamble until the lenses are designed differently.

jonathan180iq
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
WebBikeWorld also has some videos of the comparisons on Youtube. There is really no discounting what you see on the video.

I agree with WW. Until the lense design is altered, the LED replacements that I have seen aren't going to cut it. I am interested about the turn signal LED board, but when I replace one, I want to replace them all and I'm going throw, as BadBob said, $100 into something that I may not like.

Now, on sportbikes, I have some seen more really nice rear end replacement housings with LEDs that flash from side to side and they are really bright on the brake light. However, those can cost upwards of $150. So, that's out of the question.

It would be nice if someone would do it and give us a review.
Maybe we can all pitch in a few bucks and try out different designs. Maybe not.

IndyKTM
05-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, I have a buddy who just started a Motorcycle accessory business. He gave me a brochure and in it are several LED light kits that he says a fool proof to install. They may not fit inside our rear lens perfectly(but they may) but there looks to be several that would fit where the reflector is above the rear lens, or you could leave the reflector and mount them to the fender by drilling a couple of holes. He has the ones that can flash for 5 seconds then go solid and the dual brightness ones that run at 30% untill you step on the brake then ramp up to 100%. One set was like $150 but it came with everything and it had 3 lights I think which you can program how you want them to work. The cheapest one was a single for around $50, again with everything to wire it up. You can have your choice of 8 or 16 LED's on the light. Just throwing that out there.....

I'll look for the brochure and give better specifics.

Water Warrior 2
05-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Well, I have a buddy who just started a Motorcycle accessory business. He gave me a brochure and in it are several LED light kits that he says a fool proof to install. They may not fit inside our rear lens perfectly(but they may) but there looks to be several that would fit where the reflector is above the rear lens, or you could leave the reflector and mount them to the fender by drilling a couple of holes. He has the ones that can flash for 5 seconds then go solid and the dual brightness ones that run at 30% untill you step on the brake then ramp up to 100%. One set was like $150 but it came with everything and it had 3 lights I think which you can program how you want them to work. The cheapest one was a single for around $50, again with everything to wire it up. You can have your choice of 8 or 16 LED's on the light. Just throwing that out there.....

I'll look for the brochure and give better specifics.

Does he have a website yet. Would be good to see his wares. Wish him luck cause he has some stiff competition out there.

jonathan180iq
05-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Especially with those prices...