PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on this?

golem
08-12-2014, 11:13 AM
LIke most people on this forum I am very satisfied with my geezee but would like a little more oomph. I was wondering what do you guys think of this ? Suzuki GZ 250 GZ250 Marauder 6 Sigma Custom Carburetor Carb Stage 1-7 Jet Kit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QZG20A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3U89P0E7HLZW4&coliid=I34EMUDAA7EAYL
Do you think it might make a difference, knowing that my gz top speed is around 70 mph, wind in the back, in a decline :)

jonathan180iq
08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Someone else recently posted about Sigma 6...

I do not have any personal experience with this product, but I will bet a month's paycheck that is simply a "universal" jet kit that they have slapped the GZ name on. This is acceptable because it has Mikuni jets and parts in it.

It's probably going to have everything that you need - but it will also have about 25 things that you don't. 80% of what's in that box is going to be useless to you. This is why I have always recommended just going down to your local Suzuki dealer and getting a few Jets and doing it yourself.

1) The Needle Shim mod doesn't require anything but moving a circlip (or in some rare cases adding a washer)

2) Upgrading your main jet is as simple as turning a screw driver...

3) Adjusting the pilot mixture is also just as simple.

You can spend $14 on a handful of jets, and then apply come know-how. Or you can spend $60-$80 on a jet kit and then still have to apply that same know-how.

The only benefit to buying a jet kit like this is that you have a lot of different options for when/if you want to play around and really refine your jet settings, as they offer more variety.

golem
08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Ok thanks.
I was asking about it because I saw the other threads about the needle shim mod etc and it's chinese to me and I was hoping for an "easy" solution...
is there any threads you could point me to, about option 2 and 3, please?

mainlinecoffee
08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
I love my sigma6 kit! Ended up using -i think- a 10 over Pilot jet and a 140 main,it deff runs rich In the heat and preformance wavers on the highway from 65-75 mph at wot. But I have a lot of Waight on the frame and extensive modifacation to exhaust electrical frame and about everything else...it's a good deal! And comes with wonderful detailed instructions.

mainlinecoffee
08-12-2014, 02:37 PM
The kit contained three jets in a range and several shims and a new jet needle but the trick is you have to tell them what has been done to the bike ie open exhaust or aribox mod or forced induction etc,any details help. I declined to drill my carb for a second fuel passage as it seemed silly but it's a option.

jonathan180iq
08-12-2014, 03:01 PM
How much was your kit, if you don't mind me asking?

No one has ever needed to modify their carb so much as to require a replacement needle, and there have been some real modders through here over the years.

Unless you've bored it out, a straight piped header and fully open intake have only ever needed a 140-145 main jet and some tweaking of the pilot screw...

mainlinecoffee
08-12-2014, 11:18 PM
I think my kit was 68 bucks total,I have pod filter and kinda complicated stack-drag pipe with a rain flapper on it

golem
08-13-2014, 09:15 AM
You can now find it on Amazon for around 40 dollars.

jonathan180iq
08-13-2014, 09:21 AM
It's not a terrible deal, then, at $40. It's probably only really worth $25 in parts - but having them all on hand could increase the peace of mind value I guess...

Bottom line, then, is that it will work for you if you just want to order something and not think too much about it.

golem
08-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Ok cool. Do you think I will see some change or nothing too noticeable in the end?

jonathan180iq
08-13-2014, 02:29 PM
What mods have you done to the bike to necessitate the jetting upgrade?

Exhaust? Air filter? Both?

golem
08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
None. But I have performance in mind and In my newbie mind, I had managed to understand that this would increase the power of my bike? Am I wrong ( I have a feeling I totally am)?
You see, I saw another post about the sigma6 kit and you said this "Just adjust your main, the needle, and then dial in your pilot jet and you're good to go. "
What do those mean? ( sorry if my question is redundant, English is not my first language) Is there any video laying around on how to do those? Do you need to buy anything to "adjust the main and the needle? Sorry for the noob questions.

raul10141964
08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
the carb com from factory tuned fore emissions, modding the carb an air filter will increase the power but the bike will not pas an emission test

jonathan180iq
08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
I follow you, Golem.

Adjusting the carb settings is necessary if/when you make any changes to the intake or exhaust. When you allow more air into the engine, and help it escape faster, you have to increase the amount of fuel flow proportionately, or the bike will actually make less power and, in some cases, not even run.

It's all quite simple, even though it can seem like a big project if you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Don't be mislead by the marketing of these kinds of products. When something calls itself a "Jet Kit", it doesn't have any connection to being fast, like a flying jet or anything. :) It simply refers to the parts that are in the kit. You're basically buying a tiny little tool box that contains carb parts; one of them just so happen to be referred to as a jet, which is is this tapered little brass nozzle that allows the fuel to flow from one part of the carb into another.

They look like this:
https://www.denniskirk.com/dk/product_images/ds/290pix/ds289321.jpg

When I said to adjust your main, needle, and pilot, I was referring to the 3 main adjustable parts of the carb.

The MAIN JET supplies fuel to all parts of the carb, but is mostly used when you're anywhere from 3/4 to FULL throttle.

The needle is this sliding plunger inside that carb that controls fuel flow anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. (Most people find a flat spot in the throttle here, so they adjust the needle without any other modifications.)

And the pilot jet control flow from idle to 1/2 throttle.

In that order, you can adjust your carb to allow more fuel to flow. When combined with an increase in air flow, your bike will generate a little more power.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These bikes are never going to pull your arms off during acceleration. But with some proper tuning, they can run a little better and faster.

Until you start doing any performance modifications, I would focus more on your riding technique and the overall tune of the bike, making sure that everything is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Air pressure, brakes, valve clearance, chain slack...things of that nature.

You CAN, in the meantime, go ahead and lift your needle one notch. That will give you a little experience with the carb, to help build your confidence, and you'll start to see some of this talk put into practice. (There is a nice 'How-To' guide in the instructional articles section)

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16

golem
08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Thank you for your help and patience. Really.

raul10141964
08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
thees 2 pdf are a good reading

adjusting the carburetor
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8DD6506EEAAE80BE!325&authkey=!ALXqjwWYP15aWi8&ithint=file%2cpdf

mikuni carb theory
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=8DD6506EEAAE80BE!324&authkey=!AEfGAdFO4PPypws&ithint=file%2cpdf

golem
08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Thank you!

raul10141964
08-15-2014, 08:00 PM
carb modding

1) main jet control the maximum amount off fuel available to the engine (part#16) factory 120 upgrade to 140 (I found my at my local motorcycle dealer , look for small mikuni main jet or take the old one with you)

2)needle shine control the fuel at mid range move the washer (part# 9)from the top of the E-ring (part# 10) to under the e-ring to improve the mid range

3) Pilot jet (part#26) control the fuel from idle to about 1/8 of Throttle factory set under 2 turns from the close position new set 2.5 to 3 turns, you may need to remove the plug (part#26A) to gain access, improve idle and reduce the fluctuation be twin col and hot idle

4) Upgrade air filter (I modify the factory filter see second picture)