PDA

View Full Version : Another Grip Question

Carl
05-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I've searched pretty well on here but I don't quite seem to find an answer to my question, which is: what exactly is the black piece on the end of the bars? Does it stay there when you change grips? Do I need grips that do not have an end cap or is removable? Will these work http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Item?storeId=10101&storeId=10101&Pr=p_CATENTRY_ID%3A100000426467&mediaCode=ZX&mediaCode=ZX&productId=100000426467&appId=100000426467&appId=100000426467&langId=-1&langId=-1&catalogId=10111&catalogId=10111? Any experience with these?

I like the look of the Kuryakyn® Universal ISO™ - Grips, but a previous poster said that they do NOTHING for vibration dampening. Any other suggestions along these lines?

Thanks

jonathan180iq
05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't know much about these specific grips. If they are rubber replacement grips, then I suggest you cut off the existing grips with an exacto knife or razorblade. Then, spray some hair spray on the barends and slide the new grips on over the lubricated barends.

By the way, that's what those metal black knobs are called that are on the end of the handlebars (bar ends).

If you have hard replacement grips, then you will need to remove the bar ends and slide the new grips into place before replacing the barends.

Be sure to check the diameter of the grips as the throttle grip will be slightly more open than the left handed grip.

-Jonathan

PS: There is a white plastic sleeve under the throttle grip. DO NOT CUT THROUGH IT. Without it, you can't ride your bike.

Easy Rider
05-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I've searched pretty well on here but I don't quite seem to find an answer to my question, which is: what exactly is the black piece on the end of the bars? Does it stay there when you change grips?

They are bar-end weights. They are there for vibration dampening. You need to keep them or replace with equivalent weights on end of new grips.

I put foam slip-ons OVER the existing grips on mine.

P.S. The bar end weights are mounted to the bars with a compression plug inside the bar. To remove, loosen the screw just a few turns until it starts to feel a bit loose and then pull the whole assembly out of the bar. If you loosen the screw too much, the assembly comes apart and is a bear to get out.

Water Warrior 2
05-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Grip Puppies will slide over the stock grips nicely. Or you can try for foam grips at a bicycle shop to put over the stock grips. Ditto on the vibration dampners. Do not remove just the bolt/screw. Just loosen it and wiggle it out of the bar or your vocabulary will triple in 5 minutes.

Carl
05-06-2008, 10:34 PM
or your vocabulary will triple in 5 minutes

:lol:

Thanks for the tips guys!!

trykemike
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
hey CARL My wife made a pair of black suede laced slip-on grip covers for my grips. I installed some sheet 1/8 foam then slipped the grip covers over the grips. Dampens the vibes and provides grip points because of the laces. Personalized look also.

Carl
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Any photos of those? They sound cool!! :rawk:

Badbob
05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Make damn sure your grips fit as this is not reversible.

- Remove the old grips.
- Clean the bars squeaky clean.
- Wrap the bars evenly with 3M or other good quality electrical tape.
- Coat the tape with five minute epoxy.
- install and position grips in less than five minutes.

To remove grips installed with this method.
- Destroy grips and remove.
- Cut tape with a razor and peal off.

I got this method from a local bike shop. It was the only thing I found that would hold those ISO grips.

If you install ISO grips be prepared to lead you handle bars. If you don't your mirrors will vibrate so hard they will be almost unusable. You will get to spend some quality time on the side of the road digging out your tool kit and putting your mirrors back in place. Lets not forget about the vibration causing your hands to go numb and the ensuing nerve damage. My wifes bike has the ISO grips and no one could ride it for any distance above 35 mph until I packed the handle bars with lead shot.

Carl
05-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the tips Bob. I had read your post from before stating all this and it actually is making me think about going with a different grip than the ISO. Although the local bike shop swears he sells a ton of them and I did talk to one guy who uses them and likes them. I don't know, I already have a problem with numb hands. I don't want it any worse. :tdown:

Sarris
06-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I installed the Kuryakn ISO Grips. I purchased the ones for 7/8" handlebars and the fit like a glove. No tape, no epoxy, just cut off the old ones, ditch the bar weights, and glue on using the provided adhesive. It quells most of the vibration and is MUCH larger in diameter than the weenie grips that come on the bike. I have had mine for 12,000 miles... No Problems

I think the other guys got the ones for 1" bars and had to rig them to get them on. Trust me, get the right size & you'll love them.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=2925
The 7/8" grips are item #6241. I also have pegs from them as well.

:tup:

Badbob
06-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the tips Bob. I had read your post from before stating all this and it actually is making me think about going with a different grip than the ISO. Although the local bike shop swears he sells a ton of them and I did talk to one guy who uses them and likes them. I don't know, I already have a problem with numb hands. I don't want it any worse. :tdown:

I have two GZ250s here one with the ISO Grips and one without so I get to try them both. The ISO grips are nice to look at and the larger diameter does seem to give you a bit better throttle control. I don't like the slick chrome because I can't grip on it any where I want. I ride a lot covering my brake and clutch levers while holding the grips between my thumb and forefinger. I find the ISO grips hard to hold like this unless my fingers are on the rubber part of the grips.

Even with lead in the bars the ISO grips vibrate more than stock.

I had a problem with numb hands when I first started riding my GZ250 until I realized I had a death grip on the bars and relaxed my grip a little. It doesn't bother me now.

Sarris
06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree w/ Bob. The ISO's are pretty good at vibration dampening, but I have found alot of people who gorilla grip the handle bars. The ISO's are fine if you just relax a bit! I have big hands so I have no issues with size or reach.

I also have the matching ISO Wing Pegs that are twice as wide as the stockers and do a better job of vibration isolation than the stockers.

:tup: