PDA

View Full Version : blueing on pipes

CANDY
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
i have read somewhere on here about the pipes turning blue and i have a few questions. i have had my bike for 1 year now and have 7000 miles on it. my pipes are not turning any color right now,so i'm wondering if there is something wrong with it. i have only used 93 octane fuel since the day i bought it new,and i changed the muffler to a 18" shorty megaphone. does no coloring mean i'm not running the fuel mixture right ? i don't have have any problems with it and have had it up to 70 pmh many times. should i be concerned ?

jonathan180iq
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
How long are your rides? If they are like mine, less than 10 miles or so both ways, they may not be getting hot enough to turn blue. This doesn't mean that there is a problem.

That being said, high octane acts a flame retardant. So, you may not be getting as hot of an explosion as you might if you were using 87. What is your fuel economy like? I'd bet that you get better mileage out of a tank of 87.

themarauderer
05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
i have read somewhere on here about the pipes turning blue and i have a few questions. i have had my bike for 1 year now and have 7000 miles on it. my pipes are not turning any color right now,so i'm wondering if there is something wrong with it. i have only used 93 octane fuel since the day i bought it new,and i changed the muffler to a 18" shorty megaphone. does no coloring mean i'm not running the fuel mixture right ? i don't have have any problems with it and have had it up to 70 pmh many times. should i be concerned ?

You are possibly just lucky :cool:

My pipes are going blue ... its possibly down to moving off too fast and hard-ish acceleration....and bad luck!!

Anyhow, its not a necessity for pipes to turn blue so I wouldnt worry! :tup:

Easy Rider
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
should i be concerned ?

NO!

You might want to be concerned, however, about the $.20 a gallon that you are WASTING on gas !! :cry:

CANDY
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
thanks for the thoughts. my longest ride was 380 miles in one day. i average 50 - 100 miles a ride.it is 70 miles round trip to work, 2-3 days a weekat 45 60 mph.i seldom get it over 65mph. i'm getting about 80 - 83 mpg right now. may be because it is still new.i was told that the higher octane burns cleaner, so i started on 93 and just never tried anything lower.

jonathan180iq
05-20-2008, 02:40 PM
"The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel."

-www.howstuffworks.com

We don't have a high compression ratio or a high performance engine. Our compression ratio is 9.0:1
In comparison, the Ninja 250R has a compression ratio of 12.4:1 The factory recommends 87 regular.

The Nighthawk 250 - 9.2:1 Regular
The Virago 250 - 10:1 Regular
The Hyosung Comet 250 - 10.1:1 Regular
The Rebel 250 - 9.2:1 Regular

You get the picture. All of these bikes run on regular 87 octane gasoline and have a higher compression ratio than our little crapper does.

People swear up and down that higher octane is better. While it may make some engines run "smoother" but that's just going by word of mouth and by seat of the pants testing, which is good for nothing. It's generally considered a waste of money.

That being said, if you can afford it and it gives you a little peace of mind, it certainly won't harm your engine. So, do whatever you like.

CANDY
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
thanks jonathan, i'll try the 87. i was concerned,but feel better now about the pipes and the engine.

jonathan180iq
05-20-2008, 03:30 PM
That's what I would do. I'm certainly not telling you what to do, just that it doesn't seem to be worth the extra cost.

Take care,
Jonathan

Water Warrior 2
05-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Your bike should run just fine with 87 octane. Don't get in a sweat over pipe color unless they glow red during the day. Did that on my VStrom one time. No damage but very scary when I saw the pipes. Of course I get alarmed at the slightest thing too.

Badbob
05-24-2008, 09:06 AM
24,000 plus miles with 87 octane. Works fine.

themarauderer
05-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Here's a sample of my blue pipes!!
http://www.postimage.org/aV1bhuNi.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1bhuNi)

Plenty more where that come from here:
http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=873

To be honest, I have had no problems with my blue pipes...a little miffed they are getting bluer by the day but heyho, an exhaust is expendible :rawk:

That said, Im not THAT bothered about shiny chrome at £300 for a new one (about $600!) :cry:

All good man. Blue pipes are fine...

Water Warrior 2
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
A little color adds character to the bike. Sort of like gray hair on an old guy. lol.

themarauderer
05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
A little color adds character to the bike. Sort of like gray hair on an old guy. lol.

:2tup:

Yep. I agree....thats my excuse for bluein them pipes and Im sticking to it too :rawk:

Sarris
06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
You might want to go to this link for further Pipe Blueing discussion.
http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=771

:)