PDA

View Full Version : Best mod you've done so far?

the.blue.bandit
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
I checked around the forum, and didn't come across this question posted yet...

So I've had my GZ for a year or so now (this is my second season on it), and she's still bone stock other than saddlebags... I really want to do a little work on it, but I'm not sure where to start. What do you guys consider the best mod you've done to your bike so far?

jonathan180iq
06-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Up until lastnight, I would have told you it was the 16T front sprocket or my rear trunk.

I'm of the opinion now, however, that my favorite little thing is actually the tachometer. Maybe it's the newness of it but I love having a little feedback from the engine.

EDIT: I'm going to clarify everything in a nice little list

1. Rear Trunk
2. 16T Sprocket
3. Synthetic Oil
4. Tachometer
5. Cafe Fairing

Easy Rider
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
What do you guys consider the best mod you've done to your bike so far?

Windshield.....large, functional windshild. I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more if I ever get caught in the rain or in a cloud of Japanese beetles !!! I have never owned a bike for more than a few days without a shield.

Second, 16T sprocket.

RonWhitm
06-19-2008, 04:39 PM
I filled the gas tank last night.

Seriously though, I second the windshield comment. That and a home-made crash bar are all I have done. It already had sissybar/carrier and saddlebags and 16t sprocket when I bought it.

JIBTEXHNKA
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
3. Synthetic Oil

does that really count as a "mod"? if so i drive a heavily-modded toyota camry :]

rayzuki
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
drag bars

jonathan180iq
06-19-2008, 09:28 PM
3. Synthetic Oil

does that really count as a "mod"? if so i drive a heavily-modded toyota camry :]

No but it's certainly up there as one of my favorites.

rayzuki
06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
dual headlight

Sarris
06-20-2008, 08:51 AM
1. Seat replacement (details and photos soon)
2. 16 tooth front sprocket
3. Windshield
4. Saddlebags
5. Mirror extensions
6. LED Taillight
7. Bling

:2tup:

Easy Rider
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
1. Seat replacement (details and photos soon)

Time's a wastin'.
I've got a seat pan coming in the mail.
Sure could use some pointers for what to do with it when it gets here. :cool:

And YES, I did a search; out of 123 matches on "seat" all I got that was really useful was Bob's replacement and one other home custom job.

jonathan180iq
06-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Sarris and I have been talking back and forth about this and I think he might have something that will blow everyone out of their seats and offer a much wider variety of seat options for those who are looking in the aftermarket seat department.

Sarris
06-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I'll have the scoop-de-poop on the seat in about 3 weeks. Everyone be patient.

:rawk:

bigwonton
06-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Haven't done alot of mods (and using the term loosely) but to order them from top to bottom in terms of which I value the most, they are:

1. Saddle bags
2. Tachometer
3. H4+50% headlight
4. Synthetic Oil
5. Ceramic Brake pads
6. Windshield

JIBTEXHNKA
06-22-2008, 06:15 AM
so, i bought the bike with a windshield so i can't really say it's a mod i've done... but after going on a 100 mile ride without it today, DAMN. i wish i had kept it on.

i like the way itlooks without it, but there is a HUGE difference in how the ride feels. the wind beating against your chest just makes you feel way slower. in hot weather it's nice, but at night it sucks.

also, having saddlebags (or some other kind of storage) is awesome too. i bought a gatorade and had to throw away half of it because i coudn't bring it with me (i took my saddlebags off too).

so in case you didn't catch that:
1. windshield
2. storage

chasp72
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Here are my favorites:
1. Windshield
2. 16T front sprocket*
3. saddlebags
4. engine guard (from MC Enterprises, now discontinued?)
5. turn signal beepers (Radio shack piezos)
6. sheepskin seat cover

*Gone full circle (15 to 16 to 15 and back to 16 -- yes I like it 16)

Good luck sorting out your priorities :tup:

patrick_777
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
*Gone full circle (15 to 16 to 15 and back to 16 -- yes I like it 16)

I fear this will be my journey as well.

rayzuki
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM

I have been thinking about doing something like this. I am real good about using the signals but from time to time I "forget" to turn them off.

patrick_777
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM

I'd be interested in reading a write-up on how you did this. Like ray, I have the problem of not turning my signals off. It's annoying to other drivers and dangerous to me, not to mention embarrassing as hell.

chasp72
06-23-2008, 10:25 PM

I'd be interested in reading a write-up on how you did this. Like ray, I have the problem of not turning my signals off. It's annoying to other drivers and dangerous to me, not to mention embarrassing as hell.

I'll put a description together and post it.

patrick_777
06-23-2008, 10:28 PM
That would be very awesome of you.

Easy Rider
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I'll put a description together and post it.

I'll be very interested in seeing how it ended up for you.
Mine is half done......so I have a left-only beeper that isn't quite loud enough! :cry:

Maybe this is the tweek I need to finish it.

chasp72
06-24-2008, 11:13 PM

I, too, forget sometimes to turn off my turn signal and this usually helps. I used two Radio Shack Piezo Buzzers (part 273-075) and a triple wire automotive type connector so I could remove the plastic storage area under the seat if necessary. The buzzer has feeds for both a pulsing buzz and a continuous buzz. Be sure to use the wire for the continuous buzz because the turn signal module already provides a pulsing signal

I connected a wire from the negative terminal of the battery to one feed on the back half of the triple connector. (This is shared to feed the negative wires of both left and right buzzers.)

http://www.postimage.org/PqshL2i.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqshL2i)

On my GZ250, the positive feed to the right rear turn signal is a light green wire running on the left side of the bike under the seat. The one to the left rear turn signal is solid black along the left side. I used crimp type connectors to tap into these feeds and connected the other ends of the wires to the back half of the triple connector.

http://www.postimage.org/PqshV0S.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqshV0S)
http://www.postimage.org/PqshSwJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqshSwJ)

The buzzers were attached to the forward part of the plastic storage area under the seat using a glue gun. (Putting them here allowed me to hear it better than when I tried it toward the rear.) The red wire (+) of one of the buzzers gets connected to the front half of the triple connector opposite to the positive feed from one turn signal wire. Same with the red wire from the other buzzer opposite the positive feed from the other turn signal wire. Black wires form both buzzers are tied together and attached to the front half of triple connector so they will make connection with the feed from the negative battery terminal.

Photo of the storage box with buzzers mounted and wired to the triple connector.

http://www.postimage.org/gx1aoqxJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1aoqxJ)

This is how it all looks when the storage box is remounted and the connector halves are mated together.

http://www.postimage.org/gx1anyFA.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1anyFA)

I haven't noticed any change in the brightness of the rear turn signals. I hope this is helpful (and makes sense).

patrick_777
06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Very good write-up. This has been chalked up as my new weekend project.

primal
06-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Ah, just what I needed! I have a difficult time for some reason getting the turn signals to actually turn off. I think it might be the thickness of my gloves.

About how much did this mod cost?

davtnn
06-25-2008, 12:12 AM
My suggestion is a wind screen .. a June Bug at 60 miles per hour is no fun (they should be called bug screens here in the south)

davtnn
06-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Seems wally world is starting to carry motorcycle stuff .. i bought a large Sissy Bar Bag with all sorts of storage pockets .. a large center bag .. internal frame and a slot for the sissy bar .. for $30 bucks seemed a good deal ... now i just need to get the sissy bar

chasp72
06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Ah, just what I needed! I have a difficult time for some reason getting the turn signals to actually turn off. I think it might be the thickness of my gloves.

About how much did this mod cost?

Primal,
The buzzers are about $8 each. I don't remember the cost of the connectors, but probably $25 total.

Easy Rider
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Very good write-up. This has been chalked up as my new weekend project.

Great writeup. Good engineering too.

I have a slightly different plan.

2-each, Radio Shack 273-059 buzzers, about the size of a quarter, connected back-to-back (physically and electrically) and then mounted to the bottom of the turn signal indicator light.

This is how I have the one mounted now........but then found out I needed a second one and the tiny little one I started with wasn't quite loud enough.

Total cost: About $7.

Hopefully I can get my butt in gear and get more detail ready for "publication" in the next few days.

chasp72
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
[quote="patrick_777":21q7z9lg]Very good write-up. This has been chalked up as my new weekend project.

Great writeup. Good engineering too.
I have a slightly different plan.
2-each, Radio Shack 273-059 buzzers, about the size of a quarter, connected back-to-back (physically and electrically) and then mounted to the bottom of the turn signal indicator light.
This is how I have the one mounted now........but then found out I needed a second one and the tiny little one I started with wasn't quite loud enough.
Total cost: About $7.
Hopefully I can get my butt in gear and get more detail ready for "publication" in the next few days.[/quote:21q7z9lg]

I'd like to see how you did this. It would leave less mess below the seat.

Easy Rider
06-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see how you did this. It would leave less mess below the seat.

It leaves NO mess below the seat.... ;)

With the little buzzer it was pretty easy. IIRC, I soldered some longer, thicker wires on, and bent them to match the bottom of the light socket and shoved them into the rubber boot where the wires go. Held in place with a strip of electrician's tape.

This worked fine, except as noted, that the dime sized buzzer isn't loud enough (for my old ears) and because of the polarity switch, it only works in one direction. I killed my battery before I figured that part out.

I'm gonna try for some pic's but it's gonna be tough to see in there.

patrick_777
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I did the piezo speaker mod this morning. I rode over to Radio Shack and grabbed the following:
2 - Radio Shack Piezo Speakers (#273-075)[/*:m:18l62wl7]
A three-pack of 18g copper wire (3 colors) (#278-1223)[/*:m:18l62wl7]
63/37 Solder (just because I was out) (#64-015)[/*:m:18l62wl7]Total cost: $25

Using all of the information above, I decided just to solder and wrap the splices instead of using connectors. I also wanted to use the existing connectors to the tail signals, which were "pull apart"-type connectors anyway.

Here is a picture of the prep and solder for lengthening the speaker wires: (click for bigger)
http://www.idlerants.com/images/material_th.jpg (http://www.idlerants.com/images/material.jpg)

After soldering the wires, I wrapped them in electric tape and twisted the black and red together to form a rope. This would make it easier and a lot cleaner to tie onto the frame underneath the storage box. After confirming that they work well, I cable-tied everything to the frame to so there are no wires overhanging the box or getting in the way of the seat.

http://www.idlerants.com/images/solder_2_th.jpg (http://www.idlerants.com/images/solder_2.jpg)

Here are the connectors I soldered and wrapped the other end of the speakers extension wires to. I will update with a final-look picture, but the light just wasn't right near the end (read: I'm lazy and I forgot).

http://www.idlerants.com/images/wires_1_th.jpg (http://www.idlerants.com/images/wires_1.jpg)

I ended up mounting them like chasp72 did, hot-glue to the front of the box, but I looked after coming into work, and they had vibrated free. I'll do something better later.

Easy Rider
07-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I did the piezo speaker mod this morning.

95db ! Holy crap. That's gonna be LOUD. O_o

It looks like the buzzers have 3 wires: red, black and blue. I just checked the online info. and it doesn't mention that. Wonder why the 3 wires ??

patrick_777
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
The label on the back says the blue one is a "pulse", white is "continuous" and black is "ground". To test them, I used a AAA battery and it didn't do anything. I didn't bother with a higher voltage because they were going to be hooked up to the turn signal relay anyway.

They are loud when I'm sitting still, almost embarrassingly (with a lot of cars around), but at speed they are really just loud enough and not distractingly so. And the idea is to make myself keep thinking about the signals so I'll turn them off.

Easy Rider
07-01-2008, 05:17 PM
They are loud when I'm sitting still, almost embarrassingly (with a lot of cars around), but at speed they are really just loud enough and not distractingly so. And the idea is to make myself keep thinking about the signals so I'll turn them off.

I figured that would be the case. I think I'm gonna go with the smaller buzzer's but use your mounting location.........or somewhere under the seat, near the connector for the rear signals, anyway.........if I ever work up the ambition to actually DO it, that is. I decided the base of the signal indicator on the dash is just too hard to get to, especially with a windshield in the way.

jonathan180iq
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
If they're too loud, just stick some cotton balls over the speaker holes and tape 'em on with electrical tape.

:)

chasp72
07-02-2008, 06:13 PM
The label on the back says the blue one is a "pulse", white is "continuous" and black is "ground". To test them, I used a AAA battery and it didn't do anything. I didn't bother with a higher voltage because they were going to be hooked up to the turn signal relay anyway.

I like the look of your installation-- cleaner installation than mine. I agree the signal is loud at a light, but it doesn't take many RPM's to make them harder to hear, especially with a full-face helmet on. BTW, I had a problem with one of them falling off after gluing. I think it may have been because of the paper label where I applied the glue. The second application has held for 8 months or so.

patrick_777
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I like the look of your installation-- cleaner installation than mine. I agree the signal is loud at a light, but it doesn't take many RPM's to make them harder to hear, especially with a full-face helmet on. BTW, I had a problem with one of them falling off after gluing. I think it may have been because of the paper label where I applied the glue. The second application has held for 8 months or so.

Yeah, mine fell off after 1 trip across town. The label on the first one and the hot glue just didn't hold onto the plastic. I'm thinking taking some industrial velcro and mounting them on the frame under the seat.

I'll get a better picture of the final install when I can.

bigfour
07-08-2008, 01:18 AM
is is a mod if you just take shit off the bike? :cool:

1. Needle Shim mod.
2. Chop exhaust
3. Upgrade main jet.
4. Remove front and rear fenders.
5. Remove turn signals
6. Headlight off switch
7. modded handlebars and foot pedals.

Easy Rider
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
5. Remove turn signals

OK, just gotta ask:

Have you ridden in the rain yet with no fenders?
Have you run over fresh tar (road or strips)?
How about a road where construction trucks have tracked MUD out onto the road?
I don't think you are going to like the results if/when you do.

Second, where do you live that you can get away with no turn signals?
If you are stopped by a cop in a bad mood, he might tow it, in addition to the ticket.

bigfour
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
5. Remove turn signals

OK, just gotta ask:

Have you ridden in the rain yet with no fenders?
Have you run over fresh tar (road or strips)?
How about a road where construction trucks have tracked MUD out onto the road?
I don't think you are going to like the results if/when you do.

Second, where do you live that you can get away with no turn signals?
If you are stopped by a cop in a bad mood, he might tow it, in addition to the ticket.

I stopped riding in rain, I don't have money for the gear, it's hell on the bike, fender or not, and I don't mind playing the waiting game. The rear of the bike is covered up fine but the front wheel can sometimes fling some pebbles. I might fabricate a minifender or trim down the orignal honkin fender but untill then, I don't mind doing a little clean up every few rides.

In CT, I don't need turn signals, But I take my bike to NY a lot, maybe problems there but it's a small risk. Riding with the headlight off is illegal but it seems that most cops don't know or care about that law. I do it rarely anyway.

Question: has anyone mounted a GPS on the bike, are there any mounts that can withstand the vibration?

Water Warrior 2
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Are you positive you don't need signal lights ? Best to check with the local LEO on the street. As for the headlight off switch.............Are You Nuts ??? The GZ is hard enough to see with the light on. Throw away the switch and buy a SilverStar bulb. Leave it on Hi-beam during the day. Cagers still turn left in front of well lit bikes, you have just upped the odds of being an organ donor. Is this a bit of a rant ?? You bet. I just don't want you getting hurt, crippled or killed because a soccer mom didn't see you.

jonathan180iq
07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Honestly, the high beam in the day thing seems to over-do it for me.

When I see a superbright headlight coming at me during the day, I actually can't see that it's a person on a motorcycle until we are within shouting distance. The low beam, however, doesn't wash out the ability to see the rider and I immediately recognize that it is a motorbike.

It's like looking at Pluto and not being able to see Charon.

jonathan180iq
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Question: has anyone mounted a GPS on the bike, are there any mounts that can withstand the vibration?

You mean something like this?

http://www.postimage.org/PqUNAV0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqUNAV0)

Photo property of Whynot?

2FIDY
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately, He's correct about the signals in most cases. It's a crazy law, but I believe it reads that you don't have to have them, but if you do have them, they have to function properly. :??: Go figure? But, I believe you do have to use hand signals and can be ticketed if you don't!! As for cutting the headlight off.......??? :tdown: Each to their own I guess...but if it's running up our insurance rates it's our business !!

Easy Rider
07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Each to their own I guess...but if it's running up our insurance rates it's our business !!

Well, now you stirred the pot !! :roll:

That is an old, tired and, for the most part, invalid arguement.

I firmly believe that people should do things that are good for them and NOT do things that are bad for them......
BUT......
I believe in the freedom to be stupid. Since you cannot eliminate stupidity with rules, I FIRMLY believe that you and the government should mind your own business and stay out of mine.

If you eat too many cheese-burgers, it will make you have a heart attack. That runs up my insurance rates. Let's make a law limiting how many cheese-burgers you can eat. BS. :cuss:

Not wanting to start a fight thread here; just had to get that out. :oops:

primal
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey, I'm all in favor of natural selection. ;)

And don't complain about motorcycle insurance rates for cryin' out loud! Even the most expensive insurance provider will insure you for a fraction of the cost to insure a car (for the GZ250, anyway!).

bigfour
07-09-2008, 10:45 PM

You mean something like this?

http://www.postimage.org/PqUNAV0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqUNAV0)

Photo property of Whynot?

Thanks, that gave me a mounting idea.

As for the headlights, I mostly just use the off switch for starting the bike, since I ride more in the winter than the summer. The headlight is the biggest drain on the electrical system and a dead battery is a concern for me. When I get on the bike, my life is in my hands and I don't rely on headlights or any other gadgets to 'save' me or improve my chances, I only rely on myself. Law isn't gospel.

To get back ontopic, anyone know bar end mirrors that work with this bike (with little vibration, good FOV)?

jonathan180iq
07-09-2008, 11:56 PM
See my post titles "Extra Brake lights and bar end mirrors"

Or something like that...

Here you go:

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?p=7957#7957

Sarris
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
What headlight "Off Switch" :??:

My Florida bike doesn't have an off switch for the headlights. By law they're on all the time.

;)

Easy Rider
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
What headlight "Off Switch" :??:

My Florida bike doesn't have an off switch for the headlights. By law they're on all the time.

;)

He added one. "The law" doesn't seem to be a major concern. :roll:

Sarris
07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
He added one. "The law" doesn't seem to be a major concern. :roll:

:oops:

douglaskinney_phd
09-10-2008, 09:02 PM
In the short time I have had my bike.

1. Head light modulator

2. New Headlamp H4 blue..Very Bright White Light

3. Driving Lights.

4. Windshield.

5. LED Bulb replacment in Tail Light, Neutral Switch, and Turn Signal Indicator.

6. Blue LED light strip on back fender under Tag and under gas tank.

7. Bad Boy Air Horn

Sarris
09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
You might try the original "Back Off" unit from Signal Dynamics. Simple three wire installation. I have it on mine and it works great.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/xp.asp

Also, be careful about excessive battery drain from the driving lights, as the GZ's electrical system is pretty weak and fairly maxed out.

:rawk:

Jer
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
What does a headlight modulator do?

I like the looks of that Back Off unit.

patrick_777
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
A headlight modulator flickers the headlight constantly. It adds a strobe effect (but at a fast frequency) which is easy to notice far away which greatly increases your visibility. Its drawback is that it retards the ability for oncoming traffic to determine your distance and closing speed.

Also, it can actually promote target fixation by the same oncoming traffic, which can be bad for you.

Jer
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Ahhhh. I think a brighter blue/white bulb like those dudes rolling around in Escalades use would be a good idea then. I always seem to notice those.

Sarris
09-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree with you on the blue xenon bulb, but the headlight modulator really pisses people off. I'd also like to install a crystal cut head lamp unit instead of the flat stock frennelled lamp to promote a longer beam distance.

:)

Jer
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
crystal cut head lamp unit

Thats the cover that goes over the bulb?

patrick_777
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
:yes:

Sarris
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
It's the entire unit that the bulb goes into. It looks like a sealed beam round headlamp with a hole in the back for the bulb. They vary in price from about $20 to $100 or so. Some have skulls, iron crosses, or other decorative features molded into the glass lens. I want a clear ice model for it's enhanced projection.

:cool:

Jer
09-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Sounds great.

If you come across any please share the link.

Sarris
09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Here you go. I just haven't gotten around to doing this mod yet.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=BB42E44F-12F3-475C-A2CB-7C9DDD9DFDE9&search=headlamps&store=All&page=1

Easy Rider
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
3. Driving Lights.

Have you read any of the threads here that talk about the weak electrical system on the GZ and how something like driving lights can run your battery DOWN ??

Jer
09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Those are a bit spendy eh????

THe bulbs normally run $15 or so. So thats 48 os so (or more) for the cover.

Hmmmmmm.

Sarris
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
It does give you a much better light spread and projection. A safety issue perhaps??

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jer
09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Yep. What is safety worth. You're right.

I havent ridden at night so I dont know what my stock setup gets me.

After doing so this could be a no-brainer.

Or it could seem like money for jewelry.

We'll see! I'm looking forward to that 1st night ride.

I'd go out tonight but the Wild Turkey wouldn't help my reaction times any....... :)

Sarris
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Bravo!!!

patrick_777
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
I havent ridden at night so I dont know what my stock setup gets me.

You might be surprised. Peoples' reactions to the GZ's night capabilities are mixed, but I've personally had NO problems with the headlight "spread" or brightness on mine (even the low-beam). Others find it very lacking.

I keep the Ninja on bright no matter the time of day or night, but on the GZ, I usually ride in the daytime on bright and nighttime on low.

Jer
09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll test it a bit on familiar roads here some night.

rusty rider
09-12-2008, 09:13 AM
I'd go out tonight but the Wild Turkey wouldn't help my reaction times any.......

Very good decision :2tup:

Also be careful of being on the forum, then going out to the garage to modify your motorcycle. Luckily when I did it was only to remove the stickers on fender, and side panels. It looked great... but it could have been :cry: O_o

Jer
09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah. Some of these ideas sound neat. But I'm not real mechanically inclined.

I'd end standing over abunch of parts not knowing what the hell I did or how to get it back together.

If it aint broke DONT FIX IT.

THough I do see a new headlight inmy future. That I think I can tackle. :)

dreamers-62
09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
I was told to put a 14T on the front....but I am reading everyone has gone to a 16T...are you putting them on the front or the back...I am told a 14 on the front will give me 10mph more top end...thoughts....???

Dupo
09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Sure, but at the loss of low end power.

dreamers-62
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
So it drops the revs down so when you are in top gear and moving right along it wont feel like you need another gear...?...

Sarris
09-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that going to a 16 tooth front sprocket raises the gearing, thus allowing you to stay in (stretch out) the lower gears longer. Theoretically, the 16 tooth front sprocket should raise the top speed, but because of it's low power output (torque), the GZ motor hits its power limit at a lower top speed.

If you go to a 14 tooth front sprocket, you'll lower the gearing allowing you to have Ferrari acceleration in first gear but only for about 10 feet. Your bike will accelerate faster and harder, but all your gears will run out faster and you will also lower your top speed, probably more than with the 16 tooth.

Jonathan can add his two cents to clarify this further.

Easy Rider
09-12-2008, 07:15 PM
So it drops the revs down so when you are in top gear and moving right along it wont feel like you need another gear...?...

Yes, that is with the larger 16T front sprocket. It is a VERY worthwhile change.

Whoever told you to put on a smaller front sprocket must be used to riding 2-cycles in the dirt.
That would NOT be a desirable thing to do.
It would leave you with only 4 gears as 1st would be TOTALLY useless.

jonathan180iq
09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Not too much to add. It's already been discussed, almost to the point of ... :horse:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=317 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=317)

& here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1058 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1058)

Water Warrior 2
09-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that going to a 16 tooth front sprocket raises the gearing, thus allowing you to stay in (stretch out) the lower gears longer. Theoretically, the 16 tooth front sprocket should raise the top speed, but because of it's low power output (torque), the GZ motor hits its power limit at a lower top speed.

If you go to a 14 tooth front sprocket, you'll lower the gearing allowing you to have Ferrari acceleration in first gear but only for about 10 feet. Your bike will accelerate faster and harder, but all your gears will run out faster and you will also lower your top speed, probably more than with the 16 tooth.

Jonathan can add his two cents to clarify this further.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I did consider a 16 tooth sprocket for the front of Lynda's bike but after a 5oooKM(3100 mile) trip we both agreed it was just right. I believe Suzuki dialed in the GZ for most riders and most roads without straying to far from their target.

Water Warrior 2
09-17-2008, 01:05 AM
All the mods on Lynda's GZ are for safety/comfort and convenience.
Headlight modulator.
Brakelight modulator.
SilverStar headlight bulb.
One 20 watt halogen driving light for added visibility.
Heated grips.
Handguards.
Windshield.
Replaced pass seat with top box and doubles as a backrest.
Reflective tape front/rear and sides. Better than OEM reflectors in my opinion.

azdude
11-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I bought a used gz250 and I am excited to start the mods. I am wondering what kind of windshield you guys thought is the best.
Also, what do you guys do to keep the battery from dying in this season? Anyone used battery warmer/heater?

Water Warrior 2
11-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I bought a used gz250 and I am excited to start the mods. I am wondering what kind of windshield you guys thought is the best.
Also, what do you guys do to keep the battery from dying in this season? Anyone used battery warmer/heater?
You will need to pick up a Battery Tender. It will be a cheap investment compared to a new battery if yours goes south. I know this from experience and lack of forethought when it comes to batteries and their care and feeding.

alanmcorcoran
11-26-2010, 01:17 AM
az, search the threads for windshields - I've posted about mine in many threads already. Not sure on what keeps batteries best in cold temperature. I guess the az doesn't stand for Arizona?

Water Warrior 2
11-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Just remembered it was a Spitfire handle bar mounted shield. Can't remember what model though. Lynda was quite satified with it while she had the bike.

Easy Rider
11-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Anyone used battery warmer/heater?

Absolutely NOT necessary.
At any temperature where that might be needed, it is WAY too cold to be riding......ICE POSSIBLE. :cry:

Nothing is required if it is ridden regularly; some brand of battery tender if it sits unused for more than a week at a time.