PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for me and doing mods

Tonckawa
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Since I just bought my bike brand new. I also bought an additional 4 years on the Manufacture's warranty and if I do some mods, warranty will be voided and there goes $500. I really wanted to do that 16T sprocket change. :mad:

Sarris
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I do not believe that you will void your manufacturers one year warranty by changing to a 16 tooth front sprocket. As most "extended warranties" are nothing more than insurance policies that cover only major internal repairs, I would suggest trying to cancel the "extended warranty" and try to get a refund. Most will not cover minor repair or any service items. IE, if the carb breaks (cracks) they will replace it only after a deductable (usually $100 or more). But they will not cover a carb rebuild or gaskets as the are a "normal" service item. Also, most only cover a mfgr's defect, not a part "broken due to wear or misuse". Most of the extended warranties do nothing more than line the dealers pockets with your cash. I have friends in the bike biz tell me that extended warranties are a big rip off and that they pay out on only 2% of the extended warranty policies sold.
:tdown:

Also, GZ's are relatively bulletproof and few ever need major repair. Thats why the MC training courses use them

This is only my opinion derived from 35 years of motorcycling experience. Anyone else want to chime in??

Easy Rider
06-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I do not believe that you will void your manufacturers one year warranty by changing to a 16 tooth front sprocket. .........................Anyone else want to chime in??

Of course !! :)

A sprocket change will NOT void any warrantys.......except maybe on the sprocket and chain but those "consumable" parts are not covered anyway. So.........go for it. If you are really concerned, have the shop do it. Mine charged me 1/2 hour labor.....~$45.

Piece of mind, for some folks, is priceless.

Trying to cancel and extended warranty would be an exercise in futility.......and a frustrating one at that. I don't think that is a good idea. Water over the dam, and all that.

Now, would I advise you to pay for an extended warranty if you haven't done it already ?? No.
But that is a different question. What's done is done. K.I.S.S. :tup:

Tonckawa
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Warrranty is bought and paid for like the bike. Paid it all off the day I drove it off the lot.

I was told by the dealership that the 4 year extended warranty is basically taken the automatic one year and extend it to 5 years. It is a manufacture warranty so it goes with the bike no matter who owns it within the first 5 years.

Sarris
06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Brother;
I'm not trying to be contrary, but Suzuki the manufacturer, as stated by Suzuki USA, does not extend their "factory warranty". You should check the "Extended Warranty" paperwork and see exactly who the additional 4 year warranty is provided by. It' probably Motors Insurance Corp. (MIC) or another warranty insurer and probably is tranferrable (for a fee) to subsequent owners.

My dealer stated "Factory Extended Warranty" to me, so I called Suzuki USA and they said there was no such thing!!

No personal affront intended, just an FYI.

:)

jonathan180iq
06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Here's my piece.

If you want to change out the sprocket, do it.

I would bet money that there is no way a dealership would have any idea it was ever done, unless you really screw something up, which is almost impossible on such a cheap and easy mod.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Tonckawa
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM
I'll you what. I will look at the warranty tonight when I get home. If it is not with Suzuki, I will demand my money back. I was told the warranty is with the manufacture and goes with the bike no matter who owns it. I got them to come down $100 before I bought it and now I think I know why they were so cooperative. They also did not care to tell me about ther weight limit as well or I might have bought this VStar 650 I saw.

Sarris
06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Tonckawa;

Don't let the dealer BS you, as they obviously don't know shizit about the GZ. As we have said before, with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 775 lbs less maybe 325 lbs of bike including fluids, means that your GZ can carry 450 lbs total of driver, passenger, & luggage. That number comes from the GZ's Owners Manual (page 34). You made a good decision with the GZ as the V-Star's GVWR is probably less!! Remember that GZ's are third world tranportation and get loaded to the max. with the whole family, bags of rice, chickens, etc. Unless you and your passenger are really big folks, you should be OK.

PS: I like the cat. SUP!

:2tup:

Edit: I DO NOT recommend exceeding the GVWR!!!

Orpheus
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Tonckawa;

I'm right around 200 lbs and my girlfriend's about 120-125 and we usually travel with luggage, tents, sleeping bags, etc. and I've never had any problems. See my post about my trip to Puerto PeƱasco, Mexico if you're concerned about travelling with weight. We probably travel close to the GVWR on every trip we take and I have yet to encounter ANY problems with the bike. As Sarris said, these things can probably carry a LOT more weight than the GVWR says.

Sarris
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Hey Orpheus;

Congrats on your weight loss....... Your previous post you had mentioned 225 lbs. I guess you can get more stuff on the bike now.

LOL
Sarris

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS; I'm just kidding, cause I weigh every bit of 295!!