PDA

View Full Version : Electrical output on GZ

GodZuki
07-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Anyone know what the output is for the electrical system on the GZ? My husband wants to add a couple of these and some driving lights.
http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/ ... tpods.aspx (http://www.performanceyamaha.com/pages/catalogs/detail/17/321/616/29629/all/0/0/4/10/74/564/0/brake-lightpods.aspx)

He has also mentioned adding some heated grips. Will my bike support all this? He has an outlet on his bike, a KLR650, and is going to put heated grips on before winter hits us here in Utah.

Thanks

Sarris
07-01-2008, 09:14 AM
The auxillary LED brake lights use very little power & should be ok. Heated grips and driving lights are usually a higher amperage draw, and as we all know, the GZ has a SMALL charging system. So I would say questionable on the grips as well as the driving lights.

To Easy Rider; what do you think?

Easy Rider
07-01-2008, 09:22 AM
So I would say questionable on the grips as well as the driving lights.

Yes, marginal. Even had a rider with an M50 who managed to run his battery down with a light bar that was "always on".

I think Bob has some experience with this; here's my guess:
Only one major accessory on at a time AND nothing extra on if you are just puttering around town at low speed.

I think I'd get in the habit of connecting to a battery tender every night. Even if the battery just barely keeps up, they fail MUCH quicker if allowed to stay near the discharged point..........and replacements are expensive.

GodZuki
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds like my husband's KLR. He has a less than stellar charging system. Thanks guys

JIBTEXHNKA
07-02-2008, 07:05 AM
so the moral is: heated grips are a possibility?

jonathan180iq
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Sounds like it, if you only do one major electrical addition.

I have added 3 new mini-systems and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Tachometer
Volt Meter
Extra Brake Lights

I would consider these to be mini-systems

Easy Rider
07-02-2008, 09:36 AM
so the moral is: heated grips are a possibility?

Yes, used judiciously. I was hoping Bob would chime in.
I think he has done that on one of his.........maybe not.

Water Warrior 2
07-04-2008, 10:38 PM
The Gz will support heated grips(Symtec) and have enough left over to run a 20 watt running light with no problems. The running light is an MR-11 halogen yellow color for better cage visibility. Mounted below the stock headlight and quite effective.