GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5448)

mrlmd1 05-20-2012 01:31 PM

Re: 1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue

Check yourr battery voltage at rest - you should have at least 12.6-12.8V for a fully charged good battery. The combination of low battery voltage, dirty/corroded connections at the battery or inside the solenoid (from low voltage sparking) could give you the intermittent starts you are seeing.

dentheman 05-20-2012 03:47 PM

Most (all?) bikes have the clutch switch located where the clutch lever attaches to the grip, look for wires coming out of the grip area.

mithuth 05-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Check yourr battery voltage at rest - you should have at least 12.6-12.8V for a fully charged good battery. The combination of low battery voltage, dirty/corroded connections at the battery or inside the solenoid (from low voltage sparking) could give you the intermittent starts you are seeing.

I did think to check the battery this morning. 13.17off/ 14.3 running according to mr volt-o-meter.

I ordered a new starter solenoid tonight and will get a new relay tomorrow when I go pick up new oil and filter at the local dealer. It can't hurt to replace 10 year old electronics, especially if the previous owner was starting/running it on a dead/near dead battery.

I giggled after thinking about the clutch switch. I guess it's one of those things I never really thought about, but kind of knew was there since it reads the clutch position for starting purposes.
Kill switch, kick stand switch and clutch switch seem good and working properly. It's gotta be starter solenoid, relay, or the starter itself.

alantf 05-21-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithuth

I ordered a new starter solenoid tonight and will get a new relay tomorrow It's gotta be starter solenoid, relay, or the starter itself.

Hate to tell you, but solenoid & relay are two different words for the same thing. Seems like you don't have much electrical knowledge, plus, you aren't listening to our replies. If you carry on guessing, you may, by chance, stumble upon the correct solution, but I fear that it's going to be an expensive learning curve, if you continue to swap parts willie nillie, without testing to find out exactly which part is faulty. After spending vast amounts of money, you may still find that it's something as simple as a loose connection that you've missed. :)

mithuth 05-21-2012 08:09 AM

The starter relay is mounted behind (towards the rear of) the stater solenoid. I'll get you a picture. They are two separate parts.
After looking at both, they do not appear to come apart where I can get inside to check/clean them. Replacing them for only $20 is a cheap way to completely eliminate that as an issue. Money well spent in my opinion. I was reading on here that some other countries charge upwards of $90 for a relay, maybe this is where you think I'm over spending?

I cleaned and checked all connections at the battery, at the solenoid, and at the starter itself. I added dielectric grease to prevent any future corrosion. All connections were clean and shiny. I took a small file and gently sanded all contacts to be sure no film/corrosion had built up to cause faulty connections.

I AM listening to suggestions, and so far everything has checked out that was suggested. Is there something you feel I've overlooked?

As for my experience, I haven't rewired a house or anything that vast but I've completed a circuit or two in my day.

mithuth 05-21-2012 08:11 AM

Two separate parts.

Starter relay
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...h/c6ac05b6.jpg

Starter solenoid
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...h/57b7f32d.jpg

alantf 05-21-2012 10:48 AM

A much cheaper way is to use a meter. That way, if you use the resistance setting across the heavy duty contacts of the solenoid, while applying 12v to the coil,you may save $20. What I'm getting at, is that it's no use guessing at what MAY be faulty. A methodical test is the only way to go. :)

alantf 05-21-2012 11:04 AM

[attachment=1:32gvok0r]img071.jpg[/attachment:32gvok0r]BTW, something weird here. Like I said, it's the same thing. Even the parts drawing shows it as one unit. I include a drawing of the starter circuit.

dentheman 05-21-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithuth

The top photo does not look like a motorcycle starter relay to me. The bottom one does. And why would there be TWO?

Did you buy this bike new?

alantf 05-21-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentheman
The top photo does not look like a motorcycle starter relay to me. The bottom one does. And why would there be TWO?

Thanks for confirming what I've been trying to get over to this guy. :2tup: