GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Bike wont start!/ fouling plugs? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4068)

feltner58 04-04-2011 07:00 PM

Bike wont start!/ fouling plugs?

My name is Dan I'm new to the forum, I just recently bought a 2001 gz250 with 6k on it, it hadnt been ridden much, I believe the previous owner let it sit for a good while, so like anything I buy that hasnt been run alot, I brought it back to life, ran seafoam through the fuel system, changed the oil and filter as well as the air filter, got the idle set just right and had it running great started right up everytime didnt even need the choke. But last week I rode it to work and when I got home I parked it in the garage. That next morning I went to start it to ride to work again, and it wouldnt start, the starter just kept turning over and over. so I used the choke and it still wouldnt start. I started to look the bike over to see if there was anything out of place, and i noticed that where the choke cable goes into the carb there is a little metal elbow with a rubber gromet that holds the cable in the carb and this whole assembly had come out of the so much that I could see the actual choke cable. so I put it back in as far as it would go and turned the choke off. tried to start it again, no start. so then I took the plug out and looked it it, it was a little black but not overly dirty, I literally wiped it off with my thumb and put it back in and it started right up like nothing was wrong. This would lead me to believe that the bike is fouling plugs or not getting a strong spark. I did accidently run the bike with the choke on when i first got it but it didnt foul the plug and that was over a month ago and it hasnt had any problems until now, it keeps not wanting to start after a undetermined amount of time, the battery is not the original or manufactures recommended size and power (all the lights stay lit and the starter never starts to slow down so no obvious problems with the battery) I dont know if that could be it, I modified the exhaust but I dont think that should effect the starting aspect or the spark plug..............should I get a new plug maybe thats it, a new battery? new coil? Im a technician at goodyear so Im pretty mechanical but bikes arent really to familiar to me... Please help I love riding this bike its my favorite bike Ive ever owned and I would like for it to run for some time to come.

blaine 04-04-2011 07:10 PM

Re: Bike wont start!/ fouling plugs?

Welcome to the forum.I would bet that after you used the SeaFoam that the plug is fouled and you need a new one.I would also have the battery checked .A good investment ia a 2a trickle charger.
:cool: :)

JWR 04-04-2011 07:27 PM

If you can, use booster cables on it the next time it does not start.

The battery may be good, but see if a little extra is needed.

blaine 04-04-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWR
If you can, use booster cables on it the next time it does not start.

The battery may be good, but see if a little extra is needed.

Just make sure that the vehicle that you are boosting from is shut off.If you leave it running you will fry the electronics.
:) :2tup:

feltner58 04-04-2011 08:17 PM

Ill try a new plug and do a load test on the battery, the gap is .6mm to .7mm correct?

BillInGA 04-04-2011 08:50 PM

Welcome aboard!

blaine 04-04-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feltner58
Ill try a new plug and do a load test on the battery, the gap is .6mm to .7mm correct?

Yes,that is correct,or 0.024 - 0.028. :cool: :)

Water Warrior 2 04-04-2011 10:24 PM

After the bike has been parked all night or a number of hours you will need to use the choke to start the fire in the GZ. You probably flooded the engine and fouled the plug at the same time. A new plug is probably in order.

mrlmd1 04-05-2011 01:40 PM

The bike needs the choke to start first thing in the morning and if it's sitting for many hours in between starts. Do not apply any throttle when you try and start it - you will flood it. There is this macho thing to start the bike without the choke but that's not how it is designed and is wrong. That's only for a warm engine or if it's really hot outside. Put the choke at least 1/2 -3/4 the way up and then start the bike and slowly turn it down as the idle speed increases or within a minute or two or a mile or so of riding.
You probably flooded it trying to start it without the choke and cleaning off the plug and opening up the cylinder helped it start. Changing the plug is OK and maybe a good idea, but if you run it, it may not need that. By wiping it off with your thumb you did nothing to clean the contacts where the spark arcs, so the plug is not the problem.
FYI - the idle speed should be set when the engine is fully warmed up.
Get yourself an owner's manual and read it, especially about starting and troubleshooting. You can download one off here.
Get yourself a 2 amp trickle charger/battery maintainer or whatever you want to call it, attach the pigtails to the battery so you can easily hook it up when you need it. There also is probably nothing wrong with your battery so don't go replacing things here and there in a shotgun approach to solve this problem.The only way you know if a battery is bad is to fully charge it and have it load tested, but if you charge up the battery and the bike starts, the battery is fine. It will not charge at idle speed, the bike needs 2500-3000 rpm to put out any decent charging current, so if you leave it sit at idle for an extended period of time, like 10 min, you are depleting the battery more in starting it and running the lights, etc, then you are replacing into the battery. It needs to be run on the road to charge the battery.

What did you do to "modify" the exhaust?

feltner58 04-05-2011 09:16 PM

2 inch chrome drag pipes, no baffle......I know the battery is fine did a load test at the shop and the previous owner had the gap way to open on the plug, I cleaned the plug and put it back in......seems to be running fine now I made the mistake of opening the throttle up with no choke when Ive been trying to start it, like you said I think that was the issue. Motorcycles are new to me so I appreciate the help........on another note what is the average lifetime of the gz motor, how many miles?

JWR 04-05-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

..on another note what is the average lifetime of the gz motor, how many miles?

A rider in Nashville had over 30,000 miles on his, then made a 9,000 mile Alaska trip.
Far as I know he is still riding it.

Water Warrior 2 04-05-2011 09:31 PM

A GZ engine will last a long time if you treat it like a friend and don't abuse it. You can not run them wide open throttle and expect a long life engine. Proper maintenance and some TLC will get you a long way on a GZ.

mrlmd1 04-06-2011 09:45 AM

Glad you got it running and the problem is resolved. Most of the time it's operator error, not the bike's fault.
Every 3 or 4 tankfills, put 1 oz/gal of gas of Seafoam or Berryman/s B12 Chemtool (1/3 the price) into the mix, and your carb will stay clean and you won't have to fuss with that.
Your bike should outlast you with oil changes and valve checks at the recommended intervals and the only other maintenance thing you will have to do is renew brake pads and tires when needed. You should think about replacing your tires if they are the originals as they are 10 years old and the rubber gets hard and brittle and doesn't have the same grip on the road as fresh ones. Check the date stamp on the sidewalls in a little rectangular box, it gives the week and year of manufacture and if they are more than 6-7 years old, replace them for safety. You will also need new tubes and probably rim strips inside the wheels.There are innumerable threads on here about replacement tires.

feltner58 04-06-2011 03:33 PM

sometimes it sounds like it misses once or twice at idle, but Ive heard that this is just because it has a carburetor and one cylinder, I actually didn't notice it until my buddy told me to listen really closely, is it just me being paranoid or could it be an actual problem, its only at idle and you really have to pay attention to hear it

Water Warrior 2 04-06-2011 04:22 PM

The miss every so often is okay. Just a side effect of a single cylinder and lean jetting. Don't sweat it. Always buy your gas from a major chain as they tend to have a better quality refining process and additives that will keep the carb system a little cleaner.

blaine 04-06-2011 04:22 PM

I don't think it's a problem.Just keep some SeaFoam in the fuel for the next couple of tanks and I think you will be fine.
:cool: :)

feltner58 04-08-2011 11:16 AM

Now its running at a really high idle even when the idle screw isn't even touching the throttle its almost like its running with the choke on but I have the joke completely off please help, is my choke sticking this is driving me nuts

bonehead 04-08-2011 11:32 AM

Make sure your throttle cables are'nt binding anywhere and are moving freely thru the cable housings.

jonathan180iq 04-08-2011 11:53 AM

All those cables do need to be lubed once in a while to make sure they don't bind or stick. Since your bike is now a decade old and it didn't get used that much, I'd say it's time for a good old fashioned "Maintenance Saturday!"

For lubing cable, I personally prefer the tiny oil feed from bicycle cable lubes, which you can find at Wal-Mart for about $4.58.

Properly adjusting throttle play and clutch cable tension should be something you do at this time, since I'll bet money your high idle is caused by a sticky cable.
(Bookmark this service manual link. It's a God-send.)

http://www.gz250bike.com/gzfiles/manualserviciogz250.pdf

Just reading the words, it can sound complicated to a beginner but it's really not.

Basically, all you are doing is loosening a lock-nut, twisting the adjuster one way or another to set proper tension/play, and then retighten the lock-nut to hold everything in place.

It really should only take maybe 10 minutes total to do both. Also, don't freak out when you realize you don't really know how to gauge 1/8" of play or whatever. Don't get caught up in the numbers. Just snug it up a bit. Then shoot some lube down under the cable covers and you'll be set.

Good luck.

EDIT: One more thing, with straight pipes coming off that little 1 cylinder, you might want to have a mechanic friend make sure it's properly been jetted. Lots of people get the jetting part wrong and then wonder why their bike doesn't act the same after they put new pipes on...

feltner58 04-08-2011 05:07 PM

Where would it most likely be sticking it only idles high after I give it gas, could it be in the carb

blaine 04-08-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Where would it most likely be sticking it only idles high after I give it gas, could it be in the carb

Possible,but not likely.As stated you have a cable binding.When you say"it only idles high after i give it gas" reinforces that.If you unhook the cables at the carb,you should be able to tell which cable is binding.Also you will be able to see if the bike will idle & rev freely without the cables hooked up, eliminating the carb as the problem.
:) :cool:

Water Warrior 2 04-08-2011 06:12 PM

What Blaine said. You might also want to check for a vacuum leak. That can give you a fast idle too.

feltner58 04-08-2011 07:29 PM

Removed both throttle cables, throttle is disabled, stills idles way high but only when i turn the throttle, choke sticking maybe? help

blaine 04-08-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Removed both throttle cables, throttle is disabled, stills idles way high but only when i turn the throttle, choke sticking maybe? help

Did you check for a vacuum leak? Just unhook the choke and try it, its possible that it may be sticking.

alantf 04-09-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Removed both throttle cables, throttle is disabled, stills idles way high but only when i turn the throttle,

If you removed both throttle cables, and disabled the throttle, how can you turn the throttle grip & make it work???? :cry:

blaine 04-09-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

Removed both throttle cables, throttle is disabled, stills idles way high but only when i turn the throttle,

If you removed both throttle cables, and disabled the throttle, how can you turn the throttle grip & make it work???? :cry:

I think he means when he revvs it from the side of the carb.
:2tup: :cool:

feltner58 04-09-2011 08:11 AM

There is still a throttle directly on the carb

alantf 04-09-2011 09:35 AM

Ah....... My mistake :blush:

feltner58 04-09-2011 09:58 AM

Any ideas of what it may be?

alantf 04-09-2011 12:04 PM

It would appear to be something sticking in the carb. How's your skills at stripping the carb? Or would you be happier letting the shop do it for you? Either way, it seems like it needs doing straight away. :)

feltner58 04-09-2011 05:46 PM

removed the choke, still doing it, are there vacuum hoses i only see one that could potentially be a vacuum?

Water Warrior 2 04-09-2011 07:22 PM

I wonder if the rubber boots on each side of the carb are tight. Check for loose clamps holding the carb in place. I can't remember if there are 2 or 1(intake and discharge sides of the carb)but some one will chime in to correct me.

feltner58 04-09-2011 07:36 PM

took the carb off stripped it cleaned all the needles and passages with carb cleaner and blew them out with air, reassembled the carb and put it back on hooked everything up and its still doing it.........what could it be now, its really starting to get annoying I want to Ride!!?????

blaine 04-09-2011 07:42 PM

There are two clamps,one on each side of the carb.There is only one vacuum hose to check.Starting to look like the carb will need to come off the bike.On the bright side,you done things step by step,eliminating problem spots as you go.

feltner58 04-09-2011 08:03 PM

I already took it off and cleaned it all out, both clamps are tight all hoses are tight, vacuum hose is tight.......Could it be the float?

blaine 04-09-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

I already took it off and cleaned it all out, both clamps are tight all hoses are tight, vacuum hose is tight.......Could it be the float?

If the float was set to high,the bike would flood,plus you would see fuel comming out the over flow.When you had the carb off,did you notice if the throttle plate in the carb was closing tight when you snap the throttle? Also have you checked your air filter to see if it's clean?
:??: :)

feltner58 04-09-2011 09:09 PM

no I didnt really look at it to closely, I did notice some build up around the throttle plate, could that be it?

Water Warrior 2 04-09-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

no I didnt really look at it to closely, I did notice some build up around the throttle plate, could that be it?

That could be it. The throttle plate may be hanging up on the deposits just enough to hold it rather than letting it close more to an acceptable idle. Oh yeah, before I forget. Did anyone mention the air filter has to be removed to check it. Reason being the air flows from the inside to the outside of the filter. Opposite of what we normally find with an air filter. If it is really dirty on the inside you can tap it on the floor to dislodge the grunge as much as possible. If a flashlight will not show through the filter material it is probably in need of replacement.

feltner58 04-09-2011 09:27 PM

what about about the float sticking, is that something that would cause this?

blaine 04-09-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

what about about the float sticking, is that something that would cause this?

If the float was set to high,the bike would flood,plus you would see fuel comming out the over flow.