GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Honda CTX (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7666)

Water Warrior 2 01-15-2016 09:59 PM

Honda CTX

I did it today. Put down a deposit on a new black 2014 Honda CTX 700 naked model. I will likely pick it up in a few weeks when the weather is better.
It is likely the cheapest new bike that is freeway capable. Looking forward to spring weather and sunshine on my visor.
Recently Honda dropped the price in Canada and the U.S. to unheard of levels. Poor sales? Who knows and I don't care. New bikes are hard to come by at a decent acceptable price. If it wasn't for the wonderful taxes>:( we pay up North I would feel like I won a lottery.
I know I said I would give the old Honda 650 Silver Wing a shot on the road but it just doesn't do it for me. When I sit on it, it just doesn't feel right.
The CTX is not near as high and top heavy as the Wing. I am also weaker at 70 years young.
Time to dust off the new Shoei Multitec helmet I have never worn.

blaine 01-15-2016 11:37 PM

Congrats W.W. I knew you'd be back in the saddle!!! :)

Vegas Street Rider 01-16-2016 02:07 AM

Sounds like you have some fun riding to look forward to. Enjoy and be safe.

Water Warrior 2 01-16-2016 01:48 PM

Thanks guys. It's time to move on with my life and a new bike is good therapy.

Anyone in the BC lower mainland looking for an old Honda? Somewhat motivated to make room for the new bike. Make me a deal I don't understand and it's yours.

Water Warrior 2 01-17-2016 09:27 PM

Having spent the last couple days wandering through the CTX700 forum(after joining up) I am pleased to say the folks there are my kind of people. Just like the GZ forum. It doesn't appear to have any screwballs or nut cases on site. Just like here, there are some very knowledgeable folks with a desire to ride and tend to there bikes in a proper fashion. I'm happy and satisfied, just like here. Nuff said.

alantf 01-18-2016 03:39 AM

Mind you, that just reminded me of the screwballs and nutters we used to have on the old forum. E.R. for one, (you'll know who I mean) Remember - he had to be banned. I agree, it's much more peaceful now. :tup:

Water Warrior 2 01-18-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf (Post 85374)
Mind you, that just reminded me of the screwballs and nutters we used to have on the old forum. E.R. for one, (you'll know who I mean) Remember - he had to be banned. I agree, it's much more peaceful now. :tup:

Heh heh. ER is still around on another forum. He is a bit better and not so snarly as he was before. Near as I can figure retired life and a new location did wonders for him. Also, I think the other site trimmed his horns a bit too. He is generally much more civil. It is so strange(to me anyway) that a person can be a PITA online and yet be so personable as folks have mention after meeting him.

Getting back to the new bike. A friend is going to ride it back here for me when the weather allows in a few weeks. I haven't ridden in 3.5 years now and my skills are surely not up to dealing with Vancouver traffic. He is a safe experienced rider who I can trust with a bike or my Ranger for that matter. Also his opinion of riding the bike will be a bonus. We just talked about that today so he is probably online studying the bike and getting familiar with it.

JWR 01-18-2016 07:50 PM

Congrats WW. You'll love getting back on two.

Water Warrior 2 01-19-2016 02:53 PM

Latest CTX update. To heck with waiting for better weather to get the bike home. It can ride in the back of the Ranger. My local shop can unload it and Harvey the owner can get a look at it while he is unloading it. He will be doing the servicing in most cases. I will do the riding for 5 or 6 minutes to get it all the way home after that. This actually should have been the plan in the first place but I really did fail to think things through. Wednesday of next week, the 27th and I will have a new shiny Honda parked next to the Ranger at home.
It was kind of silly of me to have a good friend ride for an hour from the Honda dealer with a new bike with new tires that might be far too slippery if it does rain. I can wear off the new tire coating at my leisure when the roads are dry. A much safer plan for all concerned.
Future plans are to put the old Honda on CL and be done with it........period.
Plans for the CTX will be an adjustable windshield from Madstad made specifically for the CTX. I did have Madstan adjustable windshield brackets on my Vstrom and they worked well. The downside of the new windshield and adjustabable brackets will be the cost. With our Can $ going down the crapper I will have a very expensive farkle but why not. My slush fund should take care of that. The only other add ons will likely be some extra lighting to make me more visible day and night. Looking forward to midnite coffee runs that were so pleasant on the Vstrom.
Got a line on some LED driving lights out of Hong Kong that have good reviews. They even have some LED lights that the GZ could handle easily for all of the GZ night riders. Apparently there is also an available LED dimmer switch for their products. Time to start communicating with the vendor and do some real pricing with the dimmer included.
It may be cloudy and only +7 today but things are looking brighter and warmer in the near future.

Vegas Street Rider 01-20-2016 10:48 AM

Sounds like this bike has taken some years off your age. I know mine does that for me. Really happy for you.