GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Safety & Tips (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What kind of gear do you ride with (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7926)

derbydave 06-09-2017 11:47 PM

What kind of gear do you ride with

What kind of gear does everyone ride with?

I am an ATGATT guy especially since the accident that I had 4 years ago where a driver pulled out in front of me. I struck their front bumper and I went down at about 40 mph and slid 80 - 100 feet down the pavement on my right side dislocating and fracturing my shoulder in the process. I have a cool screw in my right shoulder now too! I credit my jacket mostly for saving the skin on my chest and my full face helmet where the only road rash was on the chin bar. I wasn't wearing gloves that morning for some reason and my hands got a little chewed up and I had on regular jeans which are no match for pavement.

Now I always wear my full face helmet, riding jacket, gloves, boots and I just recently I purchased Kevlar riding jeans.

When I ride I almost never see other cruiser riders wearing any more than a half helmet if even that. Usually it is the protective Harley bandanna and that's it. Sometimes I feel a little out of place but then I remember the accident, surgery, physical therapy and the fact that I will never have full range of motion in the shoulder I broke.

Vegas Street Rider 06-10-2017 02:51 AM

People ask me how I can wear my leather chaps when it is so hot out. I tell them that if they ever had to go through getting skin grafts, they wouldn't ask. I always wear a riding jacket with armor, my chaps or kevlar jeans, gloves, full face shield helmet, and steel toe riding boots. Everyday, I see riders in shorts, flip-flops, and a tee-shirt with a helmet. God forbid they hit the pavement or another vehicle. Every week here in the Las Vegas valley, a rider dies. ATGATT.

Fawlty 06-10-2017 03:00 AM

I too always wear armoured jacket and trousers, boots, gloves and full face helmet, even in the heat of the Spanish summer. I have summer and winter kit. In the summer I wear shorts under the armoured trousers, so I can slip the trousers off if I am doing any walking. Bit of a pain, but not so much pain as possible injuries from a fall.

I am almost 64 now, and one thing is for sure, as you get holder, you don't heal as well or as quickly as you can when you're 24!

Water Warrior 2 06-10-2017 04:13 AM

The amount of safety gear a person wears shows how much risk they are willing to take. I once rode with little gear a few decades ago. A Helmet, gloves, any jacket and boots. Oh yeah, sun glasses to fend of bugs and an open face helmet.

After a few potentially crippling mishaps off road I clued in quite a bit. In one instance I could not bend my left knee very much for a year and a half after doing a 12 foot fall off a cliff with my bike. The bike survived the fall better than I did.

Fast forward to my return to riding in 2005. Much more gear and the money to buy it. That said, protective gear that will meet your needs is relatively cheap.

At present I have a Shoei flip face helmet, Joe Rocket jacket with an optional and somewhat expensive back protector that is better than the original. I have settled on Red Wing leather gauntlets for all my riding. They are not armored but are comfy and fit well. AlpineStar riding boots for my one and only pair of feet. They have to last my lifetime. I have had a variety of riding pants with armor but they never fit right after I gain or loose weight. I just tried jeans which are not real safe but I had shin/knee protectors under them. They were dirt cheap and recommended by webBikeWorld under jeans. I think they are a Shift product.

I once had a pair of armored riding jeans but rarely wore them. The hip armor worked well when I fell off my stool while working on my bike. I was surprised to fall and even more surprised that the hip armor cushioned me so well on concrete.

Over the last 12 years I have bought and given away a multitude of gloves, pants and jackets that weren't comfy for me but were better than nothing to other riders with no gear or cash to buy it.

I had a really nice all weather jacket that did everything but fit well. I gave it to a friend in need and he was thrilled with it. It fit him very well too. That made me happy.

Safety gear is a must and I won't ride without it. I can't. I trained myself to never ride naked sort of thing. It is the same as a seat belt in my Ranger, I can't drive without being buckled in. I have used seat belts since 1966 since I happened across a rolled car with an arm sticking out from under it. The young gal flew out and the car landed on her.........it was a lasting memory.

Protect yourself as best you can all the time. Life can be a lot more lasting and pain free with some gear that works. And if you do have a mishap be sure to get checked out even if you don't feel hurt. The next day may be a bad day with an injury making an appearance just for you.

blaine 06-10-2017 08:04 AM

Got hit side on in 20 13 by a guy that came thru a stop sign.I limped away with just bruises & scratches after bouncing off his bonnet & sliding through the intersection & landing in the ditch.....I had all gear on except gloves......I hands & knuckles took the worst beating.......I now wear gloves......My head hit hard enough for the inner shell of the helmet to dislodge & move......But it did what it was supposed to do...(Not even a headache)......If I hadn't had Jacket,chaps & proper boots on (Ripped the side outta one boot) I wouldn't of walked away.....ATGATT.

Razorburns 06-10-2017 08:49 AM

A great thread for a new guy rider to read.
Currently collecting safer/smarter riding gear. Right now I have steel toe combat boots, 3/4 helmet with shield and motorcycle gloves. Currently always wear long thicker pants and long sleeve thicker hoodie. Want a riding jacket and pants.

As the budget allows, they are on the list.

Vegas Street Rider 06-10-2017 11:28 AM

Joe Rocket has some pretty decent jackets for a fair price. Check them out and wait for a sale. Go online to Cycle Gear and check out their stuff too. Sometimes it is worth it to pay more for good gear.

Water Warrior 2 06-10-2017 05:48 PM

Check out the closeout section at "motorcyclesuperstore.com"

derbydave 06-10-2017 07:22 PM

I have started shopping at Cycle Gear since we have one in town. It is nice to be able to try on gear to see how it fits.

Vegas Street Rider 06-10-2017 10:38 PM

Sometimes the online specials are better than the in store prices. Be sure to compare.