GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Air Filter (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5125)

Old School 02-24-2012 12:00 AM

Air Filter

Can I buy an air filter without buying the entire box, seems difficult to find on ebay?

Water Warrior 2 02-24-2012 12:30 AM

Re: Air Filter

Just go on line and buy a filter. That is all you need. The box is another permanent part of the bike. Open the air box, remove air filter and stuff in the new one. A Suzuki GS500 air filter is the same part number.

blaine 02-24-2012 12:49 AM

A cheaper alternative is the Hiflo-Filtro-HAF-3503 at about 1/2 price of the OEM.
:) :cool:

PG tips 04-04-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just go on line and buy a filter. That is all you need. The box is another permanent part of the bike. Open the air box, remove air filter and stuff in the new one. A Suzuki GS500 air filter is the same part number.

Just reviving this a bit, I wonder did "old school" mean the casing the filter seems to be in, opposed to the air box it is fitted and screwed into?
I was wondering a similar thing myself, when you take the filter out of the airbox, can the filter element be disassembled from the plastic housing it is in?
I tried to separate the filter element, from its plastic housing/the plastic component that makes the intake hole, but it wouldn't give.

Rather than persist and ignorantly break it (without having a replacement in reserve) I gave it a visual and refitted it. All the same, I'd like to replace the element eventually.

blaine 04-04-2012 05:23 PM

No,It it all one piece,except for the air deverter on the front that will clip off.
:) :cool:

PG tips 04-04-2012 05:33 PM

ok, thanks

bluehose2012 08-14-2012 11:38 PM

does the air filter need to be oiled? how often should it be changed? thanks.

Water Warrior 2 08-15-2012 04:07 AM

The air filter is a dry paper material and does not need oiling. A foam type filter such as K&N(aftermarket) does need to be oiled.
When checking the air filter it must be removed for inspection. The airflow is from the inside to the outside of the filter so you must be able to see the inside for dirt and dust. Tap it gently on a flat surface to dislodge any debris and hold a light up to the filter. If light shines through it is still good in most cases.
There is also a rubber hose that hangs down from the bottom of the airbox to just below the frame. It should have a removeable plug. This is meant to periodically drain any fluids from the airbox. Always replace the plug. It is critical in maintaining the filtered air flow. If the plug is missing there will be unfiltered air going straight into the engine.

trionyx 08-25-2012 08:57 AM

I'm conasidering to buy a Hiflo-Filtro-HAF-3503 air filter.
I have a question..If I would install it instead of the original filter, does, it needsd to adjust the carburator? Is the air flow rate the same as the original one? Thanks!

Water Warrior 2 08-25-2012 03:49 PM

The carb should not need to be adjusted.