GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sad and Bad (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3766)

GZ250 11-14-2010 10:58 AM

Sad and Bad

Motorcyclists hurt and dead......

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/14/califo ... index.html

JWR 11-14-2010 01:50 PM

Re: Sad and Bad

You have two choices when traffic is behind you, speed up or pull over.

From past experience, do you think the bikes were single file or staggered???

I have my own thoughts on this, but will keep them to myself for now.

blaine 11-14-2010 02:14 PM

It sounds like all the motorcycles were all together for the car to hit all 12 of them.Very tragic,so sad.Hope they find the other vehicle.

music man 11-14-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWR

I don't know how fast they were going, but say they were going the speed limit, are they still suppose to go faster or pull over even if they were riding in a large group.

If I am going the speed limit, even if that is all i am going is exactly the speed limit, I personally don't care if half the world is backed up behind me in their cars, I ain't speedin' up just for them, and I damn sure ain't pulling over for them.

Now I will say this, I agree with what you are probably getting at, being that I have seen large groups of bikes riding like that in a group, just taking their own sweet time and taking up too large a stretch of highway to safely pass them, which is a big no-no and if you do such things you should expect for bad things to happen to you.

Water Warrior 2 11-14-2010 08:25 PM

This is truly a sad situation. 5 dead and others injured due to what is probably an impatient driver. I am assuming this was on a 2 lane road with limited passing zones. Limited passing zones don't give anyone the right to take chances and endanger other road users. Whether or not the bikes were a little above, below or at the speed limit is not the point. Not everyone travels at the same speed. The only constant is the maximun allowable posted speed limit and that only applies to ideal conditions.
The fact that the Honda driver left the scene does not imply he/she is a great driver or reponsible citizen. That person will be found and will have a lot of explaining to do to the authorities.
Things like this sometimes make me wonder why I still ride.

JWR 11-14-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by music man
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWR

I personally don't care if half the world is backed up behind me in their cars, I ain't speedin' up just for them, and I damn sure ain't pulling over for them.

Now I will say this, I agree with what you are probably getting at

I don't believe you have a clue what I was getting at...

SAFETY first. Always be aware.

burkbuilds 11-14-2010 11:30 PM

Terrible tragedy no matter what was going on with speeds and such. That Civic driver will wish they had stopped when they finally find them. Last week they sentenced a young girl here in Atlanta who left the scene of an accident where several people were killed. The authorities stated that if she had stopped she probably would only have been charged with a misdemeanor. Because she fled the scene and tried to cover up her involvement they threw the book at her and she was sentenced to more than 50 years of prison for vehicular homicide and 14 other charges.

Water Warrior 2 11-15-2010 02:16 AM

50 years sounds like a good punishment. Some of our liberal bleeding hearts up here would want the driver to be charged with littering the hiways and serve 50 hours time in the community. Too often the law breaker is represented as a victim of their own stupidity and not the captain of their destiny. Off with their heads dammit.

3-D Video 11-15-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
50 years sounds like a good punishment. Some of our liberal bleeding hearts up here would want the driver to be charged with littering the hiways and serve 50 hours time in the community.

Is that how you see it, WW; to clothe, house, and feed someone for 50 years without some damn good benefit to the community that's paying for it is being a "liberal bleeding heart"?
There is no way "justice" can be served in cases like these. But, I'd say 50 years for vehicular homicide sounds more like some ignorant, spiteful, pecker-wood judge ran that show.

alantf 11-15-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-D Video
I'd say 50 years for vehicular homicide sounds more like some ignorant, spiteful, pecker-wood judge ran that show.

But if EVERY judge in EVERY court handed down these sentences, I'd feel a lot safer, knowing that car drivers would have more incentive to be careful.

It's somewhat similar to my experience of being fined €100 ($150?) last year for going the equivalent of 6mph over the speed limit. Some people on this site couldn't believe such a heavy fine for such a small offence, but over here the police & courts tolerate NOTHING. :sad: