GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Intake (K&N) (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162)

jonathan180iq 01-16-2007 07:07 PM

Intake (K&N)

Looking at pictures, it appears that the GS500 K&N will fit the GZ. Anyone looked at this closer than me?

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jordan310 03-30-2007 03:41 AM

A lot of people here say they use a K&N.
Im not so sure anymore. Nobody seems to be able to tell me which one, and what adaptor they used on the carb ... hmm.. :cuss:

Quimrider 07-13-2007 09:49 AM

I was hoping someone would have posted this information already. When I have time, probably August I plan to remove my air box and use a K&N style gauze filter. If I have any success I'll be sure to take pictures and write up a "How To"

Jordan310 07-13-2007 10:35 AM

Im really surprised too.
I think its a 32 or 34mm outlet from the carb. Someone has to know what to do here.
My mechanic already laughed and said no prob, but Im trying to get somebodys expert oppinion.

Easy Rider 07-13-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan310
Im really surprised too.
I think its a 32 or 34mm outlet from the carb. Someone has to know what to do here.
My mechanic already laughed and said no prob, but Im trying to get somebodys expert oppinion.

I think I'm an expert. Does that count? :roll:

Let's think about this logically for a minute.

If the inlet to the carb is 34mm, the inlet to the filter is about the same size so theoretically there is not restriction there. The surface area of the filter is HUGE compared to the 34mm inlet so there shouldn't be any significant restriction there either. So, where is the restriction?

If (too lazy to take the cover off and measure right now) the inlet to the filter is smaller than the carb throat (input) then I think the easiest, cheapest and safest thing to do would be to carve out that inlet hole to make it bigger.

Like removing the air box inlet diverter, there would be a SMALL chance of sucking some water if you get caught in a VERY heavy rain.

BTW, I have run with and without the inlet diverter several times and can't see any real difference. I have left it off though because I am otherwise stock except for the 16T sprocket and need every ounce I can get at the top end............even if it is only imaginary!! :cool:

Quimrider 07-13-2007 01:32 PM

yea it's simple to do, just the hard part is figuring out what will and will not fit.

Jordan310 07-13-2007 04:27 PM

Easy Rider,

not to take away from your answer there, but yes this is known. Yes, you do for sure risk getting some water inthere in heavy rain, but it is manageable.

In any case. Which K&n WILL fit directly onto the carb, without the airbox or tube?

Thats the real question.

Quimrider 07-13-2007 04:39 PM

Just looking at it you would need some sort of... I dunno ~30 degree elbow on hte carb or the frame/seat would get in the way of a directly attached filter.

Jordan310 07-13-2007 04:48 PM

I dont think so. I removed the airbox, and there is so much space for a straight cylinder ...

Either that or a pancake type filter.
Just need the right hose, size filter to get the carb plenty of fresh air, and part numbers.

I have been trying on thsi one for a while to get an answer.
I hope someone with some knowledge has a great answer.

Id love to hear it.

Easy Rider 07-13-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan310
Easy Rider,

In any case. Which K&n WILL fit directly onto the carb, without the airbox or tube?

Thats the real question.

I think the real answer is: There isn't one. :cry:

And if the stock setup (maybe slightly modified) doesn't restrict the air flow any, why are you so stuck on K&N? That's what I was really getting at with my previous post, while trying not to be too blunt. :cool: