GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Front Sprocket Nut and Bolt (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7017)

GilHirien 05-04-2014 06:39 PM

Front Sprocket Nut and Bolt

Ok, guys, after spending hours working on getting the front sprocket bolt off and hours more trolling through the forums for an existing thread on the subject I hope some of you guys could help. In efforts to fix other possibly related issues in the crankcase, I'm trying to remove the front chain sprocket nut to further break down the engine. I CANNOT get it off. I've read about loosening the chain adjusters to get more chain slack etc. but to no avail as of yet. The nut will turn, but after spending enough time exerting what most certainly should be enough force I decided that I wasn't getting anywhere. I used a permanent marker to mark the position of the nut and bolt and after a few more good turns I confirmed that the bolt is in fact rotating along with the nut. Which doesn't help me remove it one bit. The rear brake lever is depressed such that the wheel is not turning. There is shrapnel in the crankcase which I viewed through the removed clutch cover, hence further breaking down the bike and needing to remove said nut. Could it be that bits that are supposed to hold the bolt in position have broken off or am I simply overlooking something in the service manual...? Thanks in advance.

Rock

JWR 05-04-2014 07:35 PM

Sounds like it is time for an impact wrench.

If the chain is tight and the brake lever is down, you should be able to break the nut loose.

GilHirien 05-05-2014 09:27 AM

Should the bolt still be rotating though with the brake depressed? That is rather counter productive for breaking the nut free if that is the issue. Brake fully engaged I can turn the nut and the bolt 360 degrees though with effort...? Thanks.

Water Warrior 2 05-05-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilHirien (Post 79302)
Should the bolt still be rotating though with the brake depressed? That is rather counter productive for breaking the nut free if that is the issue. Brake fully engaged I can turn the nut and the bolt 360 degrees though with effort...? Thanks.

You have to have the tranny in gear.

GilHirien 05-05-2014 02:29 PM

WW. Thank you! Something simple that I overlooked. I had already removed the clutch fork to get a better look into the crankcase, and completely forgot about it. I just got ahead of myself it seems. Thanks again you guys. I may be back later when I find the source of the shrapnel.

raul10141964 05-05-2014 02:53 PM

do you inspect the starter clutch?

GilHirien 05-05-2014 03:01 PM

@Raul - starter clutch looks good. No signs of wear/damage and looks in working order. It also worked when last I had the bike running.

GilHirien 07-21-2014 09:27 AM

Update: I did eventually break the nut free. What I found underneath was horrendous. The front sprocket inner teeth and drive were eaten away to nothing, hence not being able to break the nut even with the brake depressed fully. I ended up getting a whole new (to me) crankcase because of it, though for a great price. I can post pictures for those interested in the damage. The sprocket would still barely rotate with the engine turning, but almost only due to the friction of the nut on the side surface of the sprocket. Other problems with the bike still exist but will be posted in a new thread soon as they are unrelated to this particular issue.

jonathan180iq 07-21-2014 10:16 AM

....That just sucks man... Keep us updated with you progress.

And, as always, pictures speak volumes.

gz4me + 07-22-2014 03:12 AM

Sorry to hear about the damage. I would be interested in pictures of damage. Pictures are always helpful. Keep us posted on your repairs.