GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How many miles before you first whoops? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5529)

dison001 06-19-2012 07:16 PM

How many miles before you first whoops?

Ok, I finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Safety course Sunday. Passed without a problem. Got my class M. Took the bike out for the first time today for a short little ride on a low traffic road near home. Loads of fun. What do I do? Coming around the final turn to my house, slightly too fast, and off the road I go. I was able to slow good before the bike went down, just lost traction. I wasnt hurt. Broke the front fender. My first whoops . . . 5 miles. Lesson learned . . . take that turn slower.
How many miles before you first whoops. Did the bike go down? Were you hurt? How bad did you mess up your bike?

5th_bike 06-19-2012 10:24 PM

Re: How many miles before you first whoops?

I selected 200 miles+

"The submitted form is invalid" :popcorn:

mole2 06-20-2012 12:35 AM

"The submitted form is invalid"

0 miles

In the MSF BRC. We were practicing the long sweeping curve to the right. The parking lot was freshly paved. It started to rain. I entered the curve at 18 mph, slightly rolled the throttle to maintain speed and as I was coming out of the curve I rolled my throttle to accelerate and broke traction on the rear wheel on the slippery pavement and down I went. Skidded on my side for only about 3 - 5 feet. The coaches had to lift the bike off my leg. Those pipes do get hot. Five Tylenols and 4 hours later I aced the course and got my endorsement. My right shoulder hurt bad for over 8 months and it took a couple of weeks for the bruises on the right leg and arm to go away. Busted my brand new helmet being worn for the first time at the class - the right side latch on the modular helmet broke. Had to buy a new helmet but I was glad I had it on.

jonathan180iq 06-20-2012 01:06 AM

I dumped my first bike practicing the avoidance of road objects in a parking lot with my dad and grandad watching, a snickering, in attendance. It was awesome. It did earn me some new flush mount blinkers though... that was nice :)

Water Warrior 2 06-22-2012 05:39 AM

Off road.............hundreds of times over the years. On road.............not yet.

Rionna 06-22-2012 06:32 AM

Toppled the bike the 1st day of my MFC. I hopped off but the bike fell. "Embarrassed!" 2nd time was about a month after I had the Beast, riding on country road reached a stop sign with gravel by the curb where I was making a right hand turn. Flew over the curb and bike fell but I didn't fall. I jumped off in time letting the Beast hit the ground (thank goodness I have quick reflexes). "Super embarrassed!" felt like the entire street came to a halt to watch me. lol The Beast didn't have a scratch. So under 50-100 miles would be my answer if the form was working.

Water Warrior 2 06-22-2012 06:43 AM

Oh crap. Thanks Rionna. I dumped a 250 Yamaha during the rider training when I went with Lynda in 2007. Slow manuevers and my knee prevented my turning the bars so I lost my balance. No damage, no hurting so all was well.

alantf 06-22-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mole2
The coaches had to lift the bike off my leg. Those pipes do get hot. - the right side latch on the modular helmet broke. Had to buy a new helmet but I was glad I had it on.

(1) The only bone I've ever broken was my wrist. Had it in plaster for three months after coming off my Lambretta ,when I hit a patch of grit. This was a few months after getting my first 2 wheeler in 1965.

(2) That's why I won't ride without an engine guard/crash bars. Saved my leg a coule of years ago when I got sideswiped. The bike went down, the bars bent, but absolutely no damage to my leg.

(3) My insurance specifically entitles me to claim for a new helmet after any accident.

jonathan180iq 06-22-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

Originally Posted by mole2

(3) My insurance specifically entitles me to claim for a new helmet after any accident.

That's so awesome.

.....I would probably just dump the bike every year or so, slam my helmet against a wall and claim a new one.
Man, I love helmets! ;)

fatoldfool 06-22-2012 03:44 PM

don't know about miles, first down was on a hummer in 1959, and there were 16 more before I gave up bikes in 1986. None since I started riding again 2 years ago, but it has been close a few times.