GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General GZ250 Talk (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   K&N air filters (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1802)

GZ250 11-21-2008 11:20 AM

K&N air filters

i was reading about K&N filters, haven't used before. thinking of trying on my car and bike (if possible) but i got scared when i read some reviews that said that K&N filters use oil and this oil sometime leaks and go in to the MFC (or something like that) and damage that sensor and because air get more clean it put more stress on engine and the eigine wears out faster (this is more worrying). the oil leaking may not happen in all cases.

so the same can happen in bikes as well, more stress on already stressed GZ engine. any first hand opinions from those who use K&N filters in cars. is it good for a new car or just changing the stock filter more frequently is better.

Dupo 11-21-2008 11:55 AM

Re: K&N air filters

Well whoever is complaining about the filter oil leaking are probably putting too much oil on the filter.

I run a K&N on my shadow in the hypercharger. I've never had a trace of oil anywhere it shouldnt be. The oil is just a spray that turns sticky kinda like our chain lubes. You spray it on the outside of the filter to trap dirt particles.

I think K&N Filters are great ... not to mention you don't have to replace them. Just wash out, let dry and re-spray.

mrlmd1 11-21-2008 12:03 PM

And what about the rejetting or other adjustments as others have reported on here to keep the bike running right due to the different air flow through the K&N?

music man 11-21-2008 02:37 PM

The rejetting and all that is a whole other conversation, But dupo is right, A K&N will not get oil anywhere unless you had it dripping when you put it in there :??: , and I have used one in a few different cars I have had, and they work excellent, as for putting one on the GZ, I have no idea what kind of carb issues you might have to resolve with that.

Easy Rider 11-21-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dupo
I think K&N Filters are great ... not to mention you don't have to replace them. Just wash out, let dry and re-spray.

EXCEPT for a bike like the GZ.....that is designed to use the restriction of the stock air filter to achieve the right fuel mixture. :skull:

Anyone who wants to see how your GZ will run with a K&N filter, just take the stock filter element OUT and go for a little ride. Don't venture out into traffic, though, because it runs like crap and you will get run over. :shocked: :crash:

Summary: A stock GZ 250 will NOT do good with a K&N filter.....or any other one that changes the intake restriction.

GZ250 11-21-2008 08:38 PM

oh, i did not know that we spray the oil outside, thats why i was wondering how the oil leaks. and please explain the second part. for the cars or bike does the more or cleaner air puts more stress on engine or eats it away earlier than recommended time period?

music man 11-21-2008 08:45 PM

The cleaner the air the better off you are, dirt is the enemy of your engine, ANY ENGINE.

Dupo 11-22-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider
EXCEPT for a bike like the GZ.....that is designed to use the restriction of the stock air filter to achieve the right fuel mixture. :skull:

ALL are designed to use the restriction of the stock air filter, GZ or other. Changing an air filter doesn't necessarily mean you have to rejet. Changing pipes and air filter .. now you're talking. K&N should really only need a carb adj at best.

But, thats what tinkering and customizing is all about. You want one, you tinker, you learn.

Dupo 11-22-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dupo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider

ALL are designed to use the restriction of the stock air filter, GZ or other. Changing an air filter doesn't necessarily mean you have to rejet. Changing pipes and air filter .. now you're talking. K&N should really only need a carb adj at best.

Pulling off the air filter completely is creating a free flow of air, unlike having a K&N. If that were the case, why sell em lol. K&N lets more air in but still maintains some restriction. So i wouldn't say thats a good comparison.

But, thats what tinkering and customizing is all about. You want one, you tinker, you learn.

jonathan180iq 01-16-2009 08:39 AM

Gz250,

It's not the clean air that makes a carbueratted bike run like crap, it's the higher volume (amount) of air.
In a car, the computer and the fuel injection system automatically compensates for the increase in air flow.
In any carbeuratted machine, the ability to flow gasoline is controlled by little pin-hole openings in what are called "jets" and in the height of the needle.
If you increase the amount of air that goes into an engine without also increasing the amount of fuel, then you will have a "lean" mixture and your vehicle and it will not run properly.