GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   over heated now loud noise (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7191)

studysession 09-02-2014 07:27 PM

over heated now loud noise

embarrassed to say but I let the oil get low. it over heated and now there is a loud noise from the engine...I am sure could be million one things that it could be but figure I would post and ask....

After fresh oil change - runs fine just loud knocking noise :coffee:

blaine 09-02-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studysession (Post 81781)
embarrassed to say but I let the oil get low. it over heated and now there is a loud noise from the engine...I am sure could be million one things that it could be but figure I would post and ask....

After fresh oil change - runs fine just loud knocking noise :coffee:

Sounds like bottom end. Main bearings.

studysession 09-03-2014 09:42 AM

Lets assume you are right -
What would I be ordering to replace/fix???? Gasket kit seems obvious. New gaskets for each piece taken apart.

blaine 09-03-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studysession (Post 81783)
Lets assume you are right -
What would I be ordering to replace/fix???? Gasket kit seems obvious. New gaskets for each piece taken apart.

If I'm right,you would be better off finding a good used engine.Yours would need a total rebuild because of heat & oil starvation. ;) :)

Water Warrior 2 09-03-2014 07:46 PM

ebay is your friend. A used engine will be a lot cheaper than trying to rebuild an engine. A rebuild is almost as costly as another complete bike in some cases. You don't want to go there.

jonathan180iq 09-04-2014 08:27 AM

There are also plenty of horror stories of memebers who have gone headlong into a rebuild only to never again have a running bike... I feel for you, man. No one wants this kind of news.

If it's knocking after you've filled with oil then there is just no more quick fix. It's screwed.

studysession 09-04-2014 07:52 PM

YES - Screwed it is... With the knocking I figured I would ride it until it blows completely.... :D :D

Today it blew on a main highway.... :D Trailered to a safe location and will relocate it tomorrow. So now I have to bikes that need rebuilt....

Checking on EBay the engines seem pricey. Seems I can get another bike for little more than what they are selling the engines for.

This weekend my internet access will be spotty at best. I am going to start a new thread as a blog when I get back on later. I will post a pic of each bike the GZ250 and the KZ550 and will post progress on both. Grant it because of work schedules no one can expect updates daily. Weekly to bi-weekly at best.

A lot less information available on the GZ250.

I do have this for the kindle -
http://www.amazon.com/1999-2011-Suzu...s=gz250+manual

WooHoo!@ :D Always learning...

tintankaussie 09-06-2014 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The bloke that i got my bike from let his oil get low and never serviced the bike and this was the result.
i bought the bike for $500 aus and cost me $700 for a proff re-build,second hand barrell with oversize piston/rings etc and a second hand head,bike goes great and reliable...Ken:tup:

Water Warrior 2 09-06-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tintankaussie (Post 81809)
The bloke that i got my bike from let his oil get low and never serviced the bike and this was the result.
i bought the bike for $500 aus and cost me $700 for a proff re-build,second hand barrell with oversize piston/rings etc and a second hand head,bike goes great and reliable...Ken:tup:

Yup, low oil will do that. Many newer riders never realize the bike will use oil and must be topped up. Air cooled engines are more prone to oil loses due to wider tolerances to compensate for heating and cooling issues.