GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Turn signal intermittant failure (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235)

KiwiGZ 03-23-2007 10:46 PM

Turn signal intermittant failure

I have just bought a 2004 GZ250 K3 and am really enjoying how easy it is to ride, having just got my motorcycle licence as well! :2tup:

The last 2-3 times I have ridden it though, I have experienced intermittant failure of the turn signals, mainly on the right turn, but also both together. Usually the signal just doesn't go or flicks briefly then stops and won't go even after switching it off and on again. This is rather unnerving when driving in heavy traffic! Then, when I chekc it at home it usually works fine, but have failed here as well after rolling the bike around the driveway. I am not a mechanic but I do have some understanding of motor and electrical systems.

Any one have an idea of what could be wrong? :??:

Dupo 03-23-2007 10:53 PM

Well, could be your switch on the handlebar. Loose connection or the switch is just starting to go. Loose wire somewheres, bad connection.....

Since its both, i am leaning towards the switch.

KiwiGZ 03-25-2007 03:46 AM

Thanks Dupo

I had checked the switch and it seemed to be working OK, but today I pulled it apart and found the contacts were filmed over (especially the middle one, hence failure of both lights) and there was a build up of green goop as well (plus a dead spider!). Gave them a clean and light sand and now it all seems fine. The previous owner lived by the sea so I guess this had caused an increase in the corrosion, as the bike has only just gone over 900 miles.

Dupo 03-25-2007 09:03 AM

Cool, glad you found the problem!

That would make me want to check the rest of the connections for corrosion, especially the battery.

Badbob 03-25-2007 11:29 AM

I had the same problem. Clean the contacts and lubricate the switch to keep moisture away and prevent corrosion. It will com back if you don't.

It seems pretty stupid to make motorcycles that have switches that are not sealed against the weather but as far as I can tell even the more expensive bikes have them.

Water Warrior 2 03-25-2007 01:04 PM

Yup, it is a fact of life, M/C electrical systems are prone to corrosion but with a little TLC we can avoid a lot of problems. Some of the riders on another forum I belong to use marine switches and such when installing accessories. These are made to a much higher standard for safety etc. To manufacture a bike to these standards would be costly and probably not needed by a lot of riders. Besides, if bikes were perfect and wart free, we would no use for a forum and lose the opportunity to meet new friends from around the world.

KiwiGZ 03-26-2007 04:10 AM

Thanks guys, I will have a good look over the rest of the electricals in the weekend.

What would be the best thing to lubricate the switch with?