GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Safety & Tips (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Just a reminder (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8054)

Water Warrior 2 02-27-2018 04:38 PM

Just a reminder

Just a reminder for those of us getting ready for spring riding. Winter drivers have mostly forgotten to be on the outlook for anything smaller than a car. We are much smaller than a car and really must play our A game to avoid becoming road kill.

Stop and yield signs are just a suggestion to some drivers at the best of times. We are smaller moving targets that are hard to see at times. Use your hi-beam on the GZ during the day. Low-beam is as good as a candle to oncoming traffic.
And wear bright colors if you have them. A safety vest is good insurance. Make a spectacle of yourself.

Find a vacant parking area to practice your skills and sharpen your reflexes. Make sure the bike is 100% functional too. All lights should work and adjustments should be made before hitting the road. Tire PSI will be down after a winter of sitting idle.

Many roads will have winter sand and mung on them. Watch for it especially on corners and curves.

Am I anxious to get out and ride? Sort of kinda thing. Still too cool for me but not for some others living here in the Great White North. I can wait till temps get better and I won't need too many layers of gear. :ride:

Vegas Street Rider 02-27-2018 05:17 PM

Good advice WW2. You riders that live in the cold climate areas can get a little rusty as far as defensive driving and the road conditions can be marginal after the snow leaves making it hazardous for us 2 wheelers. Be careful and ride safe. Also remember ATGATT.

alantf 02-28-2018 06:46 AM

sorry, but I just can't agree with using hi-beam. It hurts my eyes when I look at them, so I have to turn my head away. Seems to beat the object of the exercise.:shrug:

blaine 02-28-2018 08:21 AM

I always use Hi-beam in day time.......I always look away from headlight/driving lights.....Espessaly now with the brighter LED's.....Some people look & focus on the lights......a no -no........They will blind you & disorenent you

Water Warrior 2 02-28-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf (Post 88739)
sorry, but I just can't agree with using hi-beam. It hurts my eyes when I look at them, so I have to turn my head away. Seems to beat the object of the exercise.:shrug:

Alan, in a sea of vehicles with daytime running lights the GZ is pretty much nonexistent to the human eye. I didn't realize how bad it was until one afternoon Lynda was out for a ride and I wasn't able to see her until she was up close and nearly personal in oncoming traffic.

Vegas Street Rider 02-28-2018 11:07 AM

I never ride with my headlight on anything but the high beam. We do get lost in the sea of 4 wheelers and anything that draws attention to me is a good thing.