GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Reports & Meets (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I15 and I70 (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2088)

alanmcorcoran 03-10-2009 06:49 PM

I15 and I70

I had been thinking about a longish ride multiday ride in the West. Up until now, I was going to go California coast, and I may still do that, but I have decided I will have to do a I15, I70, I40, I25 loop. On the way out I can hit Barstow, Primm, Mesquite. Utah is kind of sparse but very nice scenery. There is one stretch of 106 miles with no gas, but I think I can handle that okay on the Strat. Lot's of breathtaking panoramas (and not much traffic), possible Grand Canyon stop - and my world headquarters is conveniently located in Las Cruces NM. A good deal of it is posted at 75 mph, a big plus.

Here are some photos from my recent reconnaissance of the first part of my proposed route:

[pbss:1qhzr3fo]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/I70/?action=view&current=b8dfde2f.pbw[/pbss:1qhzr3fo]

music man 03-10-2009 07:38 PM

Re: I15 and I70

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
A good deal of it is posted at 75 mph, a big plus.

Thats what you think, after 3-4 hours straight going 75+ you won't be so eager to be on roads where you have to go that fast, it gets old quick. The whole point of owning and riding a "cruiser" is to cruise to where you are going, if you want to travel at the speed of sound yet still want to be on two wheels you should have just bought a crotch rocket.

Sarris 03-10-2009 07:41 PM

Hey MM;

I set the cruise, get a CD going and take a nap...... er... enjoy the ride. Big fairing makes the deal a lot less fatiguing.

:)

music man 03-10-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarris
Hey MM;

I set the cruise, get a CD going and take a nap...... er... enjoy the ride. Big fairing makes the deal a lot less fatiguing.

:)

So why wouldn't you just take your car, oh yea because your bike is as big as a car. I just don't like riding balls out like that, it takes away from the relaxing part of it, and I know I know, you bike isn't going balls out at 75 but you have to admit that going 55 down a nice highway beats going 75-80mph down the Interstate any day (no matter what kind of bike your on).

alanmcorcoran 03-10-2009 08:33 PM

75 is about 3000 RPM on the Strat and, unless it is extra windy, feels real nice. I don't anticipate doing this one on the GZ.

I haven't gone more than 300 ish miles in a day yet, so I don't really know what I will like. My last big trip was to Joshua Tree and I did quite a bit of that one at 70 plus. Biggest problem was my sore area between my shoulder blades.

music man 03-10-2009 08:50 PM

But......... You have to admit that going 55 down a nice highway beats going 75-80mph down the Interstate any day (no matter what kind of bike your on).

trykemike 03-10-2009 09:24 PM

Hey guys re: fast driving I can do that in my car and get to montreal in 4 hrs from toronto. No recollection of anything or tool along on the gz and go 120 miles to the trailer in 2.5 hrs and enjoy every minute including breaks. I take the slow way to
home when I take the car and the fast way ( 120-130 k/h) on the way up to the trailer. Bike 80-105 k/hr.

It's your time enjoy.

Music Man you are correct buy a crotch-rocket then run @ 200 k/h if speed is your thing. My buddy rides a dyna - low rider with a small wind shield like on my suzi he and I ride 80-100 all the way back to toronto from the trailer. Yes he could blow away from me easily but WHY ?

patrick_777 03-10-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trykemike
...buy a crotch-rocket then run @ 200 k/h if speed is your thing....

Sportbikes are not just for speed.

alanmcorcoran 03-10-2009 11:18 PM

As I said, I'm too new to motorcycling to know what I will prefer. I know I don't like windy, but, I'm not sure I don't like fast. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I bought the motorcycle(s) because I am modelling my life after that chick in Resident Evil (3?) (Probably shoulda went with a Beemer.) I think the movie opens with her tooling down a road that looks a lot like I70 (could be a side route.) The West is a very Big and very Empty place and it might not be best to cover at 55.

When I was on the 70 I saw some Harleys here and there - not a lot, but it's not quite yet riding season. They weren't doing 200mph but I don't think they were doing 55 either. Overall, there wasn't much traffic of any kind (yet) so if you wanted to go 55 it's not a problem. I think the Strat can go 120 before redline, but I'm not interested in that either.

Wonder if my shotgun quiver'll be legal in UT and CO?

Easy Rider 03-11-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick_777
Sportbikes are not just for speed.

Yes Grasshopper, do enlighten us further............. :shocked:

On second though, never mind! :neener: