GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Honda CTX (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7585)

Water Warrior 2 09-18-2015 01:48 AM

Honda CTX

Haven't seen one in person yet but it sounds like a heck of a nice bike. Not too big but big enough to tour on with a few creature comforts and bags. A 670 CC vertical twin is about right.

Anyone here have any experience with one or a friend with one.

Water Warrior 2 09-19-2015 12:05 PM

Took a nice long drive to see a CTX in person. The long drive was to a dealer that had all 4 Japanese manufacturers on the floor. I oogled 3 different bikes and had test sits etc.
They were all new with many things in common.

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650
2014 Honda CTX 700T (670 cc actual)
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Common traits: FI, liquid cooled, approx 500lbs weight, chain drive, ABS.
All 3 would be great commuters with the ability to tour properly equiped. OEM stuff is available but aftermarket stuff is generally a bit cheaper with variety on your side. All 3 felt light when leaned to the left and right. The Versys is a little top heavy but not like the Vstrom 650 I had.
All 3 have a different look and feel.
Vulcan S is a cruiser style, Versys is an adventure look with the same engine as the Vulcan S. The Honda CTX is a more touring look with a fairing and nice lines.
Any one of these used would be great way to upgrade from a GZ. New would be even better if the budget is bigger.
One thing to mention is the Vulcan S can be fitted to the rider. Kawasaki was thinking of shorter riders. Different seats, bars and foot controls to suit different bodies is a really big plus. A shorter female rider of a GZ would really like this bike. Or it will fit a 6 footer nicely. It felt the most comfy to my almost 6 feet.
Oh golly, I could type for a long time about these bikes. All 3 are impressive in their own right.
The Honda is the MPG King though. A CTX forum has members quoting figures as high as 80 mpg/U.S. gallon.
The Versye would likely ride the best with a long suspension to soak up bumps.
I like these bikes far more than bigger bikes with bigger price tags and more stuff. I don't really need or want a 700 or 800 pound bike to lift if I have drop. I have friends with GoldWings, loaded H-D's, BMW's and the like. It's what they want. I can't see the added expense of owning, insuring and operating a larger bike. No doubt they are far nicer than anything I've ever ridden but I drew a financial line in the sand years ago and haven't crossed it.
Ok, now I'm done for a while.

Fawlty 09-19-2015 04:09 PM

Great and informative write up. I didn't realise the Versys had the same engine as the Vulcan. I have been looking at both, but leaning towards the Versys as a more comfortable ride. The Honda also looks interesting.

Thanks WW2 and take it easy!

Water Warrior 2 09-19-2015 05:57 PM

The Vulcan 650 engine is actually used in 4 different bikes but with different cam timing, lobe profiles and what not. The Vulcan S has a heavier flywheel to smoothen out the engine too. The FI probably has different settings too so each engine can perform the best for it's intended purpose.