GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Two Leaks, two easy repairs (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5347)

GZ250 04-22-2012 01:15 PM

Two Leaks, two easy repairs

The left seal from the exhaust attachment and oil seal from clutch release were leaking. The replacement is cheap and easy. The only thing which could get difficult are the four bolts on the exhaust pipes that could not come out easily because of rust. I used WD40 overnight and also before I was going to start the work and used a slight tapping using a hammer on the bolts. They came out easily. I replaced the old bolts with the new ones as the old were very rusted and some threads were damaged while removing. A bolt near the rear tire has to be removed to loosen the exhaust pipes. Both exhaust pipes are attached together so they move/come out together. It is wise to replace both seals.

The clutch release seal sits under the oil seal plate and comes out easily. The problem was that the inner side of the seal that grips the cam shaft clutch release gets hard and stiff because of time and heat otherwise did not look any different from the new one.

Water Warrior 2 04-22-2012 04:00 PM

Re: Two Leaks, two easy repairs

Well done. Good pics and a short and simple explanation about the methods used. :2tup:

jonathan180iq 04-23-2012 01:57 PM

Very well done.
Glad you got this sorted and I'm ever happier that you shared your pics and procedure with us.

This will be stickied.

blaine 04-23-2012 05:54 PM

Awesome write up & pics!!!! :cool: :2tup:
The only thing I would like to add is when I had problems with the bolts in the exhaust,I put in studs so you can take the nuts off and not need to worry about galling the threads in the head or worse breaking off the bolts in the head.
:) :cool:

GZ250 04-23-2012 06:55 PM

Thanks for the appreciation.

Water Warrior 2 04-25-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaine
Awesome write up & pics!!!! :cool: :2tup:
The only thing I would like to add is when I had problems with the bolts in the exhaust,I put in studs so you can take the nuts off and not need to worry about galling the threads in the head or worse breaking off the bolts in the head.
:) :cool:

I like that idea. If you put the studs in with red Loktite they will stay put and the nut will be more likely to come off too.

Poppa Blue 08-18-2012 11:01 PM

Quick question. I am about to do the exhaust seals. I also like your studs n nuts idea. Would you be so kind to give part numbers?

Thanks in advance!

Water Warrior 2 08-19-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppa Blue
Quick question. I am about to do the exhaust seals. I also like your studs n nuts idea. Would you be so kind to give part numbers?

Thanks in advance!

The easiest way would be simple. Any big box hardware will have what you need. Just get some Metric studs and nuts. Same size as the bolts you remove. Take in a bolt as a sample for the correct size.
Also a shop that specializes in nuts an bolts or industrial supplies will have what you need.

fatoldfool 08-19-2012 11:31 PM

I am thinking you were really lucky with the WD40, as it is not a penetrating oil. Many years of experience has convinced me KanoKroil cannot be beat as a penetrating oil.

Dupo 08-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Very well done.
Glad you got this sorted and I'm ever happier that you shared your pics and procedure with us.

This will be stickied.

Think we should move this to the how to section for a sticky?