GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Spark issue (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8279)

DriverTJ 02-15-2020 05:14 PM

Spark issue

Ok buckle in this is a long one.
2001 Suzuki GZ250

I bought this bike from a friend, who told me he was riding the bike and it died on him. He thought it was the ignition, so he bought a OEM replacement. Turns out that ignition wasn’t the correct one. So he started messing with the wires trying to Hotwire it, couldn’t get it to spark. He then then sold the bike to me.

I get the bike, won’t crank, replace the ignition with the correct OEM ignition. Cranks but Still no spark.
I did a volt tester on the ignition coil, it seemed to be ok, alittle weak but ok. I bought a new CDI because he burnt up the old one trying to Hotwire the previous ignition. Still no spark.
I figured it must be the ignition coil, bought a replacement, still no spark.

That’s it game time, I unwrapped all the wires, started looking for frayed or cut wires. Didn’t find any, so I got the wiring diagram online. Started tracing every single wire to make sure it’s correct, looks to be correct but still no spark. One of the wires orange and white has constant power, which it didn’t before replacing the CDI but still I think it’s a problem with the white wire.

I’ve spent 6 months trying to figure this out, I’d perfer not taking it to a mechanic, so I’m reaching out here for my last Hope before I hand it over to the mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas Street Rider 02-16-2020 11:22 AM

Have you checked continuity through the kill switch?

DriverTJ 02-16-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider (Post 89992)
Have you checked continuity through the kill switch?

Yes the starter button was slightly dirty so I cleaned it up, but still getting good contact. Could it be a generator issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5th_bike 02-17-2020 06:14 PM

Assuming you tried a new spark plug?..

Donald McPherson 02-22-2020 07:57 AM

Take the spark plug out. A bit drastic but won't kill you. Unless you have a heart problem.:hehe: Keep it connected to the cable, hold the bare end of the plug and turn over the engine. This will give you an idea of how much power is going to the spark.

Roadking 03-10-2020 11:16 AM

Ok these bikes have anti theft built in to the circuits thru resistance diodes. If the one circuit don't read the correct voltage drop it wont complete the start circuit. It prevents hotwiring the ignition.

I had a no spark issue with my 1st 99 GZ 250. bought it not running. Replaced the kickstand switch and it started. Mind you the switch must be grounded/bolted to the frame. I figured that out the hard way.

Good luck
RK

wacio 03-14-2020 11:16 PM

Yes, check side stand switch - common problem. Another possibility not mentioned - crank position sensor. Also - check power at the ignition coil - should be 12V after ignition key is in ON position.