GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Instructional Articles (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Repair cracked fender (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5233)

bpdchief 03-19-2012 07:07 PM

Repair cracked fender

The front fender on my GZ is cracked at the right front bolt and right front corner from previous owner dropping the bike. The front crack is a straight line crack about 1.5 inches long right in the curve. The bolt crack is wonderful - verticle crack about 1.5 inches, bi-lateral running from front hole halfway to back hole and about 2 inches toward the front.

1. What are these fenders made of?
2. Can I plastic weld it back together? Is there a patch of some kind?
3. Do I try to locate a replacement fender?

The missing bolt I can probably get from a shop.

JWR 03-19-2012 08:42 PM

Re: Repair cracked fender

I have a friend that repairs bikes with plastic weld, seems to do very good.

blaine 03-19-2012 08:47 PM

I had good luck with epoxy for plastic. :) :2tup:

bpdchief 03-19-2012 08:55 PM

Do the usual V grind on the cracks or just epoxy a patch over the whole thing and redrill the bolt hole?

blaine 03-19-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdchief
Do the usual V grind on the cracks or just epoxy a patch over the whole thing and redrill the bolt hole?

I just v grind on the back side,seal the crack with super glue and than epoxy.Repaired my back fender a year ago.no problem.
:) :cool:

Water Warrior 2 03-19-2012 11:57 PM

Any local big box hardware should have a metric bolt. Take a sample in to compare. It usually works for me.

alantf 03-20-2012 05:49 AM

Before you repair the crack, drill a small hole right at the end, to stop it running. To repair plastic, I use the "sausage" of two different "putty" type materials, that you knead until it comes out just one colour. You'll need to open up the crack with a grinder to allow the filler to make the repair, then file/grind it down when it's set (30 minutes to an hour)

mrlmd1 03-20-2012 10:22 AM

There is an ABS plastic "glue" that I have used before and it works pretty well. Sort of like PVC cement but a different formulation, comes in the same small sized can with an applicator. You need something that will dissolve or melt the plastic and then solidify with the same type of material. Put it on from underneath and you won't see it, and for added strength you can embed a piece of fiberglass cloth or window screen in the material when you apply it to a larger area surrounding the crack.

bpdchief 03-20-2012 07:23 PM

Used two part epoxy, added mesh over the larger area. Waiting for it to dry/harden then I'll redrill the hole. I'll be working at Lowe's tomorrow for awhle and will take a bolt with me to match. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mrlmd1 03-20-2012 08:52 PM

Some epoxies and even fiberglass won't stick well to certain plastics because they don't have much to grip, the plastic surface being so smooth. Did you rough up the surface first to give it something to "bite" into?