GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Riding Safety & Tips (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is "All the Gear, All the Time" a minority? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002)

YoungRider2010 08-01-2009 11:17 AM

Re: Is "All the Gear, All the Time" a minority?

Glad to say im in the minority then!!! I am definatly an all the gear, all the time rider!! 100 degrees in august...im wearing my jacket and helmet and gloves...TRY TO STOP ME! :rawk:

Water Warrior 2 08-01-2009 10:49 PM

Both Lynda and I are ATGATT. If it so hot that my mesh or ventilated gear won't work for me I will just take an A/C cage. Heat exhaustion, dehydration and the like are not worth being a tough guy. It is about the amount of risk a person is willing to accept when riding. Gear, no gear = your choice.

Val 08-03-2009 04:18 PM

Two weeks ago, I slid out on oil (from my drain plug falling out - mechanic error) going around a near 90 degree turn. I was in: full face helmet, armoured (Canadian spelling) vented jacket and gloves, boots. (Need to look into pants.) When I looked at all of the concrete and shoulder gravel rub points, it reinforced my personal choice to ride ATGATT. The contact points:
Helmet: small hole at top right, then scrapes top to chin on right side.
Gloves: right knuckles rubbed through textile to armour, top rubber on fingers embedded with dirt, palms full of gravel.
Jacket: rub spot and blood inside left elbow that rubbed INSIDE on the textile
Boots: rub spot on side of one boot
Pants (jeans): didn't wear through, probably because I had slowed through the curve

It seems that several bits of me could have become hamburger without the gear, and I wasn't going that fast. ATGATT for sure for me is reinforced.

(Another consideration: I have enough aches and pains from the natural aging process - I don't need any more!)

Water Warrior 2 08-03-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Val
Two weeks ago, I slid out on oil (from my drain plug falling out - mechanic error) going around a near 90 degree turn. I was in: full face helmet, armoured (Canadian spelling) vented jacket and gloves, boots. (Need to look into pants.) When I looked at all of the concrete and shoulder gravel rub points, it reinforced my personal choice to ride ATGATT. The contact points:
Helmet: small hole at top right, then scrapes top to chin on right side.
Gloves: right knuckles rubbed through textile to armour, top rubber on fingers embedded with dirt, palms full of gravel.
Jacket: rub spot and blood inside left elbow that rubbed INSIDE on the textile
Boots: rub spot on side of one boot
Pants (jeans): didn't wear through, probably because I had slowed through the curve

It seems that several bits of me could have become hamburger without the gear, and I wasn't going that fast. ATGATT for sure for me is reinforced.

(Another consideration: I have enough aches and pains from the natural aging process - I don't need any more!)

Val, sounds like you will be needing some replacement gear. The helmet for sure. Hopefully the shop will pony up for your new stuff without a battle. Have you noticed the natural aging process is reversed while riding ?

Val 08-08-2009 10:37 AM

The "family bikes" trend came about as a result of what my husband refers to as "The midlife crisis that my wife dragged the whole family into with her." So the bikes were a response to and now an antidote from the aging process.

greenhorn 08-09-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick_777
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarris
Why beat the horse to death?

Yes.....why indeed?

Now THAT wood hurt , in a thong, without protective gear... ehhh?