GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Best way to clean the chain? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7766)

bourbonjohnson 08-03-2016 03:16 PM

Best way to clean the chain?

I bought a bike with a VERY dirty chain. After looking at the chain for too long, I did some research and found that the chain does not have a master link.

I would like to know if there is a quick way to remove the chain without having to tear the bike apart. Do I need to buy a chain breaker or is there another option?

Vegas Street Rider 08-03-2016 03:27 PM

Everyone has their own way of doing things so you will get lots of answers. I put my rear tire up in the air and use WD40 and a chain brush moving the chain by turning the rear tire. I then wipe it clean after it has had time to soak in and then use DuPont Multi Lube Teflon spray instead of the traditional chain lube/oil. I have not seen any deterioration of the o-rings and the chain travels very quietly. I now have approximately 12,500 miles on the chain and it looks like new with no appreciable stretching.

blaine 08-03-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider (Post 86312)
Everyone has their own way of doing things so you will get lots of answers. I put my rear tire up in the air and use WD40 and a chain brush moving the chain by turning the rear tire. I then wipe it clean after it has had time to soak in and then use DuPont Multi Lube Teflon spray instead of the traditional chain lube/oil. I have not seen any deterioration of the o-rings and the chain travels very quietly. I now have approximately 12,500 miles on the chain and it looks like new with no appreciable stretching.

I used to do the same......But lubed with PJ-1. :)

5th_bike 08-06-2016 01:22 AM

Manual says to use kerosene to clean it (I use it with a paint brush), and motor oil to lube (I use heavy gear oil).

Careful with the WD-40, it could deteriorate the o rings.

blaine 08-06-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th_bike (Post 86327)
Manual says to use kerosene to clean it (I use it with a paint brush), and motor oil to lube (I use heavy gear oil).

Careful with the WD-40, it could deteriorate the o rings.

Kerosene is great (& cheaper)....W-D 40 will not harm the neoprene o-rings & Chan wax is much cleaner & wont attract dirt like gear oil............But to each their own. :)

Water Warrior 2 08-08-2016 05:28 AM

Kerosene and a brush here. Wipe clean and dry. Add your fav lube.

wacio 08-08-2016 06:53 PM

I would be carefull with wax as chain lube. From my long biking experience wax is ineffective. Yes - it keeps chain clean, but unless you lube every ride - it just doesn't stay on - causing quick wear and rust.

blaine 08-08-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacio (Post 86339)
I would be carefull with wax as chain lube. From my long biking experience wax is ineffective. Yes - it keeps chain clean, but unless you lube every ride - it just doesn't stay on - causing quick wear and rust.

I cleaned & lubed every 1000 Km & chain was still in great shape after 30000 km using PJ1.I found it perfect as it goes on liquid to penetrate & than thicken to stay in place.I also find it a great cable lube.

wacio 08-09-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaine (Post 86340)
I cleaned & lubed every 1000 Km & chain was still in great shape after 30000 km using PJ1.I found it perfect as it goes on liquid to penetrate & than thicken to stay in place.I also find it a great cable lube.

Thanks for response. I looked at the product you recommend. It is not described as wax. I actually see on manufacturers site:

"PJ1 New Improved Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lube applies easily and penetrates into the pins and rollers to set up into a tacky, grease-like coating. PJ1 Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lubes resilient coating reduces chain stretching and shock that normally is encountered during off-road racing and riding. Displaces and repels water. Will not harden and crack like wax"

My experience with wax lubricants was exactly as described bold above. It was flaking off easily and gone after few miles.

blaine 08-09-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacio (Post 86347)
Thanks for response. I looked at the product you recommend. It is not described as wax. I actually see on manufacturers site:

"PJ1 New Improved Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lube applies easily and penetrates into the pins and rollers to set up into a tacky, grease-like coating. PJ1 Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lubes resilient coating reduces chain stretching and shock that normally is encountered during off-road racing and riding. Displaces and repels water. Will not harden and crack like wax"

My experience with wax lubricants was exactly as described bold above. It was flaking off easily and gone after few miles.

Sorry....I stand corrected.....Wrong terminology on my part.:doh: