GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General GZ250 Talk (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Install a headlight cut off switch... (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7648)

chandlerbingfl 12-03-2015 11:47 PM

Install a headlight cut off switch...

I was wondering if anyone has installed an override type switch for the headlight. Or can provide the best way to do this. For reasons of my own I would like to put in a manual switch for the headlight so when I start my GZ, I can turn off the headlight so there is less drain on the battery during cranking.

I don't know enough that it would even matter but just something I've thought about...

Appreciate comments, pro and con,

chandlerbingfl

Water Warrior 2 12-04-2015 05:51 AM

Your idea would certainly help the bike start with no power drain to the headlight. I would put in a switch in the headlight ground wire to stop the power drain in high or low beam. That would be the simplest way. Now you have a no headlight situation if you happen to forget to flip the switch to the on position. After starting the bike you can always do a complete light check and know they all work. It is always a good safety idea to do a light check with any vehicle. May sound like overkill but it always has worked for me with all my vehicles. Yeah, I am a little paranoid about being seen and seeing.
Other Suzuki bikes have a different starter button switch on the bars that does the job automatically. I doubt it would be of any advantage to try to change over a different Suzuki starter switch as the time, effort and cost would be significant compared to a DIY switch for a couple bucks and some time well spent.

spldart 12-06-2015 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 (Post 85219)
Your idea would certainly help the bike start with no power drain to the headlight. I would put in a switch in the headlight ground wire to stop the power drain in high or low beam. That would be the simplest way. Now you have a no headlight situation if you happen to forget to flip the switch to the on position. After starting the bike you can always do a complete light check and know they all work. It is always a good safety idea to do a light check with any vehicle. May sound like overkill but it always has worked for me with all my vehicles. Yeah, I am a little paranoid about being seen and seeing.
Other Suzuki bikes have a different starter button switch on the bars that does the job automatically. I doubt it would be of any advantage to try to change over a different Suzuki starter switch as the time, effort and cost would be significant compared to a DIY switch for a couple bucks and some time well spent.

I have considered this myself...
Problem is switch selection. Most wont cope well with a driving rain.
Otherwise... :tup:

chandlerbingfl 12-06-2015 09:48 PM

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and ideas... Maybe I'll just leave things the way they are lol

chandlerbingfl

Water Warrior 2 12-07-2015 03:49 AM

A waterproof toggle switch is cheap and easy. Any auto parts store will have one just for you. :tup: