GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   probably gonna up grade next summer. i like small bikes??? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2278)

dannylightning 04-26-2009 06:38 PM

probably gonna up grade next summer. i like small bikes???

bikes i have in mind.

Suzuki s40, (i don't like the s50)

Honda shadow 600 VLX

Harley sportster, the 1200 nightster or 883 the iron. (i know these bikes would do the trick, but don't want to spend that much)

if im on the highway going 60-70 i want something what will speed up quick if a situation ever arises where i halve to. not sure if the vlx or s40 would make a good highway bike or not. i would imagine any thing around a 600cc would do the trick. i think the 250 amost has what it takes but not quite. for a person my size these bikes feel right and i like the way they look. i need small bike with plenty of power.. if you have any info on these and would like to share please do.

or if you have any other recommendations for other bikes that look cool that are around the same size let me know. i am 5'6. 150LBS and don't want or like the big bikes. i look tiny when i set on one.

primal 04-26-2009 06:41 PM

Re: probably gonna up grade next summer. i like small bikes???

If you're considering the Harley's, why not consider one of the larger Shadows?

dannylightning 04-26-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primal
If you're considering the Harley's, why not consider one of the larger Shadows?

the harley sportster is not any where near as big as the shadows i saw. i don't feel comfortable on those big bikes and their wide gas tanks.. the extra amount of gas you can hold would be nice but i don't want to sacrifice comfort for more gasoline.. i prefer the feel and the looks of the small bikes with the smaller gas tanks . they just fit me much better and i don't feel really small when i set on a sportster like i do on any full size bike i get on.

i guess i would be considered petite, and need a bike for petite person. i was pretty tiny before i started working out and only weighed 120lbs but put on 30-40 lbs of muscle, take that away and im a really small guy.. and still need a bike to fit a small guy.

primal 04-26-2009 07:04 PM

Even the Shadow 750? What about the Suzukis. I sat on the C50 I believe (the cheapest v-twin) and was pretty comfortable on it. The gas tank wasn't huge, either.

Correction: It's the S50.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... 9/S50.aspx

dannylightning 04-27-2009 12:28 AM

i hear those are pretty good bikes for short folks, not quite sure i like the way they look from the pictures and they are a bit pricey, if i see one in person it may change my mind but if i were to spend that kind of money on a new bike the harley iron is only about a thousand more, and i think those bikes look completely bad ass. not sure if i really want to make payments on something either.

i really want to find something used around 4 grand. i really cant see spending that much money on a new bike. not sure what those S50's go for used???. i know i wont find the sportster iron for that price, i guess it's just wish full thinking on that one. i fell in love with it from the first time i saw one.

i see a lot of vlx's going for right around 4 grand or a little cheaper, that one would probably be something i could buy out right if i save my money till next summer and sell the gz. that tiny front tire kind of makes me wonder tho, i see a customized vlx in my work parking lot all the time. that thing rocks. there are about 20 thousand employees at the fedex hub in memphis so i have no idea who it belongs to, just about every one is part time so every one comes and leaves at different times.. i would like to talk to run in to the guy that owns it some time..

my uncle really wants a vlx. he is going to look at one tomorrow. he has been wanting a bike for years, after i got one i think that put some fire under his ass to finally go out and get one, especially after i let him take mine out for a spin a couple of times. he took the motorcycle saftey course about 3 years ago and got his license. i hope he gets a bike so we can go cruz around.

Dupo 04-27-2009 01:06 AM

The harley sportster is top heavy. It was originally designed to keep up with the 'british invasion' of BSA and Triumphs.

I've always said, if you can't afford a real harley, get a Sportster. They really are the entry level bikes to owning a harley. Theres ton's of them out there and you can pick one up used pretty darn cheap.

Seriously, the shadow 750 (like mine) is NOT that big. Its alot more low profile than the sportster so the handling is much better. You gotta remember, you are riding a small, lightweight bike. Anything larger is going to seem LARGER to you right now. When i got on my shadow for the first time it felt like i was riding a tank. Very quickly that feeling went away and i ride it with the utmost confidence. Its natural to feel the way you do. Its like driving a chevette for years then buying a 4 door cadillac.

The VLX is a good choice too. Both the shadow and VLX are heavily moddable. The shadow being much more than the VLX just because of the aftermarket parts available and whats being made 3rd party. A ton of my parts were hand made and sold within the community of shadow owners.

I nailed my shadow on ebay for a mere 3800.00 with only 2200 miles on it. The cost to mod my bike vs modding a harley is MUCH cheaper. Ive got buddies who mod/chrome/addon their soft tails and have literally spent thousands of dollars on 'harley' parts. My bike cost me about a quarter of that .. and has 3x as much stuff on it.

My vote ... shadow 750 or the VLX in a close 2nd.

Dupo 04-27-2009 01:07 AM

Oh and if you really wanna see what you can do with the VLX and shadow 750s .. head over here http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/index.php? and check out the forums / pictures.

Water Warrior 2 04-27-2009 01:21 AM

Danny, start lurking on different forums for more info. The S 40 or S 50 would be worth considering along with the Shadows and VLX. You will quickly learn which bikes have good aftermarket support and which ones come with too many factory warts that can take the fun out of ownership. Seat, peg and handlebar distances can be critical for many riders looking to upgrade.

alantf 04-27-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannylightning
i would like to talk to run in to the guy that owns it some time..

Why not just leave him a note,a put it on the tank, explaining that you'd like to get in touch with him because you'd like to talk about his bike. leave your contact information such as phone number, e-mail address, or your works department details. If he's a real biker, he'll probably love to talk about his bike. What's the worst he can do? - screw up the note?

Only thing, don't put kisses at the bottom. Gets 'em worried! (LOL)

Easy Rider 04-27-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannylightning
Suzuki s40, (i don't like the s50)
Honda shadow 600 VLX
if im on the highway going 60-70 i want something what will speed up quick if a situation ever arises where i halve to.

As is usually the case, "you can't always get what you want...." :roll:

The S40 and VLX are good choices and have plenty of pep getting to 70 but neither has a lot left at that point.
What situation do you forsee where you are already doing 70 and "NEED" to speed up quickly ??
I've been doing this driving/riding thing for 40+ years and can't remember EVER accelerating above 70 to get out of trouble (at least not when that was the preferred/only option).

What is it about the S50 that you don't like?

I am, of course, biased toward the VLX but there are at least 2 750 Shadow models too.

What you don't want to do is get a new bike and then leave town for 2 weeks without it. :cry: